IGNORED

Terry Venables - RIP

glynriley

The first time I saw Terry Venables play was at Ashton Gate for Chelsea under 18's in an FA Youth cup semi-final.

The City had a forward line of Lou Peters, Brian Clark, Terry Bush, Adrian Williams and Jantzen Derrick.

Chelsea had Bonetti in goal, Alan Harris, Terry Venables, Murray and Bobby Tambling all of whom had long and successful careers.

In the early 1990's I went to a sports lunch somewhere near Stoke and Venables was the guest speaker. I always remember this part of the chat.

When TB was manager, or head coach, at Barcelona. Lineker and Mark Hughes were in their squad. Terry said that he used the "F" word frequently while coaching - like about every other word.

Spain played an international friendly against England at the Camp Nou and Lineker scored all four in a superb win 4-0.

After the match Venables is talking to someone in the area outside the dressing rooms. The Spanish and Barca goalkeeper Zubizarreta, came out and walked by Terry who said to him "Alright Zubi?"

The response was "Fxxxxxg hell !", smiled Zubi and went home.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, M.D said:

Didn't he have a night club that was in financial trouble that unexpectedly burnt down?

Can't quite remember, but think one of the red tops had some dirt on him and FA got wind and didn't renew his contract. Thing is, never heard any real bad stories about him subsequently. Could have been to do with his nightclub then?

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh I think we have, beating Germany 1-5 in Germany springs to mind immediately, but I know what you mean. We could even afford to let Bergkamp score the consolation goal that stopped the Scots from progressing out of the group. :)

That was nowhere as good. For 30 mins in Germany we were shocking.

4 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh I think we have, beating Germany 1-5 in Germany springs to mind immediately, but I know what you mean. We could even afford to let Bergkamp score the consolation goal that stopped the Scots from progressing out of the group. :)

I was at that Holland game.  It was easily the best England performance I can remember.  That was a really good Dutch team full of world class talent that won everything in the game.  Managed by Gus Hiddink.  Venables completely out thought them, Gazza, Mcmanaman and Sheringham were absolutely supreme that night.  The Germany win was great but that was a rubbish Germany team.

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

I was at that Holland game.  It was easily the best England performance I can remember.  That was a really good Dutch team full of world class talent that won everything in the game.  Managed by Gus Hiddink.  Venables completely out thought them, Gazza, Mcmanaman and Sheringham were absolutely supreme that night.  The Germany win was great but that was a rubbish Germany team.

They got through via play-offs, and ended up in the final, didn't they? Which they lost, actually, so, no, you're right: a rubbish Germany, tbf

To think he was only a couple of penalty shoot out wins away from footballing immortality. 

Had we beaten the Germans in '96 I'm sure we'd have gone on to win the final, and he also lost the European Cup final in '86 to Steaua Bucharest on pens. 

Had he won both those competitions, we'd be talking about one of the true greats of English football, and maybe we should be anyway given the fine margins that dictated his legacy.

A larger than life character, as well as being very intelligent and a brilliant, innovative coach, by all accounts.

RIP El Tel

10 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Sadly I can remember him as a player! Smartest England manager in my life time. 

First match I was allowed to go with my friends rather than with my Dad, Spurs V Fulham 1967 El Tel got sent off for fighting Fred Callaghan who later had a distinguished career as a London cabby.

At the time Venables was not popular at Tottenham as he was bought in to replace  the great Danny Blanchflower and despite being an England international did not compare well.

Excellent manager however and good bloke.

RIP Terry and thanks for the memories

I had long been an El Tel fan and it's really good to see his qualities being so widely recognised, not just here but right across national media as well. I was always a big admirer and I never quite forgave the FA for ditching him, but it wasn't something you'd often hear talked about in the pub when England football was being discussed, or see mentioned in online forums, so I thought maybe mine was a minority opinion. Evidently not. I just found him so astute about the game. Even when he was just doing TV punditry, his insights into what was going on out on the pitch always seemed a bit more incisive than anyone else's, and expressed clearly and simply without a lot of excessive techno-babble. I firmly believe the story of the senior national side post '96 would have been quite different if he'd been kept on, as he should have been. Lovely, fun, likeable, engaging bloke, too. I'm genuinely sad about his passing and it's clear a lot of people connected to the game feel the same - Lineker, Shearer and many, many others. Big loss.

• Like 2