IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

3 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Is there a reason not to include youth players as subs to make up the bench? Even if only for the matchday experience. Not a dig, I know NP was doing the same - I just don't see a reason not to do that. But I suspect there are good reasons that I have not considered. 

Not ready in most cases IMO.

Perhaps should focus on their development here or on loan before first team stuff.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Is there a reason not to include youth players as subs to make up the bench? Even if only for the matchday experience. Not a dig, I know NP was doing the same - I just don't see a reason not to do that. But I suspect there are good reasons that I have not considered. 

£££(?)

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

I suppose it keeps them involved at U-23 level and maybe Manning feels it is counter-productive and/or condescending to include a player if they are not going to be genuinely considered to be brought on at some point.

Like you, I probably would prefer it if we did include youth players but, obviously we still have 2 subs more than we can use so we’re not short in practice if there are only seven players outside the team who are realistically going to feature.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good team for what we have available. I do wonder why we don't fill the the remaining sub spots with youngsters - surely just the match-day exposure would be beneficial?! Never know in football, early injury/departure and we are limited, especially in defence. 

Looking forward to this one. They have a lot of pace in the wide area. Tough test. Coyr

Edited by HOZDA
Someone asked a similar query before I posted. Ignore!
  • Thanks 1
  • Admin
Just now, LondonBristolian said:

I suppose it keeps them involved at U-23 level and maybe Manning feels it is counter-productive and/or condescending  include a player if they are not going to be genuinely considered to be brought on at some point.

Like you, I probably would prefer it if we did include youth players but, obviously we still have 2 subs more than we can use so we’re not short in practice if there are only seven players outside the team who are realistically going to feature.

Also an argument that psychologically it could stunt their development if they think they are closer to the first team than they realistically are. Got to keep them hungry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Southampton fans are surprised Stewert is at least on their bench, they were expecting him to feature. It seems they are also concerned about LB position they have Manning (no relation) playing there, and seem to think he can't defend -  to quote one of them "Manning!  They’ll be attacking down our left side all night then. ******* dogshit."

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not naming a full bench is getting a bit weird. 

Just checked and last night only Rotherham didn't name 9 subs, they named 8. 

Perhaps the under 21’s getting stuffed 5-1 by Millwall does not merit a call up to the first team squad.. I guess the young uns need to really stand out to get their chance? 

• Like 1
Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

No, he'll be under the close eye of Tinnion, and no way he'll want to risk rocking the boat within 4 weeks of being here. 

It is weird though. Just giving ourselves a potential, marginal disadvantage. 

Definitely hope a journo asks post match.

I'd like to see it as a question too. It would be good to at least understand the rationale - Not saying it's a huge deal just would like to understand it. 

Tonight will be interesting to see. I mean we are going to try and dominate possession right?

It will be interesting to see how that goes away from home, versus a team with eyes on a quick premier league return.

On the the one hand how much should be expected tonight? On the other if you have top 6 aspersions, we really need to look the part v a team in those spots.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No, he'll be under the close eye of Tinnion, and no way he'll want to risk rocking the boat within 4 weeks of being here. 

It is weird though. Just giving ourselves a potential, marginal disadvantage. 

Definitely hope a journo asks post match.

I just suspect most aren't ready yet.

Maybe wrong of me, but with the exception of Yeboah and after Cardiff away, Knight-Lebel I wonder.

Close eye of Tinnion worries me but that's for another day. Good with Academy sure.. the rest.

6 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Perhaps the under 21’s getting stuffed 5-1 by Millwall does not merit a call up to the first team squad.. I guess the young uns need to really stand out to get their chance? 

Seems unlikely and a little shortsighted.

Also, we have a great academy, so why are we different to nearly every other club in the division, such that we can't name a full bench? 

2 minutes ago, The turtle said:

On the the one hand how much should be expected tonight? On the other if you have top 6 aspersions, we really need to look the part v a team in those spots.

aspiration

aspersions
  1. an attack on the reputation or integrity of someone or something.aspiration

aspiration

1. 1.
      a hope or ambition of achieving something.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1