IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

We are a good bellweather of league position at the moment - our record against the top 8 (with Southampton the last we have to play) is from top down L, L, D, L, D, D, L. Not that stellar. Equally, our form against the better teams has been often frankly to look second best, but work hard, hang in there and battle away giving ourselves a chance. Other than a late goal v Cardiff every match has ended up level or a one goal defeat. For comparison, our record against the bottom eight from 17th down with Hudders still to come is L (Stoke, boo!), W,W,W, D, W, W. I suspect there are few teams who have such a run of 'predictable' results in the round.

So, form this season would have had us losing this most likely by a single goal and keeping ourselves in it until late on. Equally interesting on their forum they see us as historically a bogey team, being the only team to beat them twice when they last got promoted.

Will happily take any kind of positive result.

• Like 2

Always brings back happy memories as the first ever City game I attended was against Saints at AG in the FA Cup 4th round in '67.

A 1-0 win against a 1st Division team ( premier league in old money) and a 37,000 crowd.

It's been downhill ever since! 

It hasn't really, as I was there the night we beat Pompey to secure promotion to the top flight and earlier this season took my grandson to AG for his first ever live football match. 

I still get the same nervous excitement every time I watch my team and just wish it was more often.

• Like 4
Just now, LondonBristolian said:

Had the week off work and never really visited Southampton much so got here yesterday and staying until tomorrow. My review so far is that Southampton is “okay”. The Tudor House museum is quite nice and I had a decent curry last night. Some good walls too. Probably wouldn’t want to stay here longer than two days.

It's a nice place Southampton, lived and worked there when City were in the top flight, still can't erase the horror of the 5-2 defeat at the Dell, always thought Saint supporters were an arrogant bunch though. Beautiful countryside with the New Forest and plenty of beaches nearby, and the warmest place in Britain apparently.

As far as the match....feel we have a chance they concede and score plenty, so could be err.... 5-2😱

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Had the week off work and never really visited Southampton much so got here yesterday and staying until tomorrow. My review so far is that Southampton is “okay”. The Tudor House museum is quite nice and I had a decent curry last night. Some good walls too. Probably wouldn’t want to stay here longer than two days.

Always a nice place to pick up a cruise ship

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I moved down to the New Forest in February this year, and my overriding impression of Southampton is Swindon on a larger scale, with some boats.

Not a patch on the beautiful city of Bristol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I moved down to the New Forest in February this year, and my overriding impression of Southampton is Swindon on a larger scale, with some boats.

Few places are, we may have the odd moan but having visited cities all over the world we haven't really got much to complain about I once heard Bristol described as the world's largest village not far off IMO. 

OK folks; here's their thoughts. The second one bemused me.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60523-saints-vs-bristol-city-wednesday-745pm/

We’ve got a dreadful, albeit short, recent record against them in the league. Lost five out of six since 1980.

Bristol City are typical mid table Championship side. I actually checked and they have been in the Championship for the last 117 years.

Their away wins have all been against lower table sides. They don't score many but they don't concede many either. Tough to break down, going to have to be patient. 1-0

Should win this, another early home goal and hopefully this time we press on and get a few. 3-0

2-2...and we should all be thankful

• Haha 1

The Cowherds was a really good pub in 1979, remember it well from before and after the match when City lost 2-0 at The Dell.

Very pleasant location by a common iirc.

image.png.16b66e706ee1ed6e06526cdc78ffb95d.png

image.png.19dd27ca717bc318af7a4e432108068e.png

image.thumb.png.22584845fa2af455fcb1e6847b94a145.png

Still going strong by the look of it, though it is 1.7 miles from St. Mary's.

I don't know if it's one for 'the lads' these days, looks like it may be more for the early arriving fan who wants some decent grub with a pint of real ale in an old traditional pub perhaps?

https://www.vintageinn.co.uk/restaurants/south-east/thecowherdssouthampton#/

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

I recall going to Southampton for away league match in the old division 2 1975, and winning 0-1. Can't remember the scorer.

Would be great if that result could be replicated tonight!

March ‘75, Donnie Gillies.

The first away match I ever attended outside of Bristol.

18 minutes ago, Atyeo's lift said:

I went there late60s/early 70s? The name Terry Paine stills brings chills.

England International and in the '66 World Cup squad.

They had some good players in the late 60s;

Ron Davies

Mick Channon

Martin Chivers

David Webb

Jimmy Melia

Ken Wimshurst..

2 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Yeah, always found Southampton a bit non descript. Lived down that way for a couple of years in the 90s, and much preferred Pompey.