IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Mehmeti 🤣🤣🤣

I’ve had a guts full of Mehmeti now. Offers absolutely f all for me. Cornick is ok coming on when we are defending a lead but he is woeful when we need a goal and a spark.

what a dreadful second half performance against a Southampton side who have good players but are underperforming due to their crap manager

Edited by milo1111
  • Like 3

Very annoying result against one of the weaker parachute teams in recent years. Very normal for us to go away to these teams and lose by one though. In fact you might say nothing has changed.

Too many players out of position for my liking so hopefully not Manning trying to be too clever, especially in the second half when the defence changed about five times.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jerseybean said:

We looked far more composed and comfortable with the ball throughout

First half yes, second half definitely not. Composure entirely lacking. Admittedly against a very good side at this level, so no shame in the overall performance. Composure in the final third has been a challenge for a long time, hope it can be coached, but think we need a bit more quality to push on. 

• Like 2

First half looked great - disciplined, high energy, dangerous on the break. On another day could have been 2 or 3 up. Conway needs one to go in.

Second half about as big a contrast as you can possibly get, could barely string 3 passes together. Very sloppy.

They're a good side and we gave a very good account of ourselves for 45 minutes. I think if we hadn't been fed Crayola boy's nonsense about having a top six squad, we'd all be fairly content. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1
Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

Whether we rate the coach or not, if Knight. Gardner-Hickman & then Williams when he came on are going to repeatedly give the ball away I don’t know what he can do about that.

The squad is too small (he knows that, he isn’t filling the subs bench) & we ended the game with a back four all of whom are right footed.

Conway’s miss was a killer, best chance of the game.

• Like 5

They didn't even look that good, disappointing to lose like that.

Some top players for this division in their squad but thought a few other teams have been better than them against us this year. 

Second half, didn't even look like we could pass a ball, what does he say at half time?

First half showed some real good signs, they made some tactical tweaks at the break and we just crumbled.

I don't mind getting beat by better teams but that second half is so deflating.

• Confused 1

Remember when this is supposed to be a team capable of being at the top end of the Championship?

The quality just isn’t there. They run their bollocks off, just as they did for the previous manager, but the genuine consistent quality… it’s not there.

And, ultimately, also just like the previous manager Liam Manning won’t be able to fix that without signing better players.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5
8 minutes ago, tin said:

Decent first half; dross after the break. Got to take our chances when we’re on top. Top six still on, JL? 

I wouldn't say dross second half, but they stepped up a gear.

Two great chances for Conway gone begging first half, stick them in and we are away.

Small margins, but the better team won as expected.

Lots of positives in that performance - but also a lot to work on (we can't keep spurning good chancees)

On to Norwich..

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

We looked far more composed and comfortable 

Overall a tidy performance, which reinforced our weaknesses upfront in my opinion.  Bell and Conway both worked hard, but never really troubled Southampton. 

The weakness upfront is the reason we'll probably finish bottom half. Get a decent striker in (buy/loan) and we could be good for top 10. We had some great scoreable chances 1st half and didn't capitalise on it. 

• Like 1
Just now, robin_unreliant said:

We've been like this for years and years. Incapable of playing well for a whole game. If we have one good half you can bet the next one will be crap.

We’ve been told by the Leadership that the change was made to ensure we got better though, so hopefully this happens soon…..