IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

Just now, lenred said:

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

And who would that be on? The players and Manning or those who set those expectations?

I think most will give him some time. Three matches, four points pretty much is par. Deserves the same support as any other new manager from us. Some really encouraging signs today, along with some areas that clearly need work. We stick one of our chances we did create in and it’s a different conversation. Movement in first half was as good as we have seen for ages.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The writing has been on the wall and the goals for column, Cornick was never going to be the answer, Tommy is all over the shop and needs Wells back, we are strong at the back, no one have dicked us thus far but how the Hell a City side has powder puff strikers that in previous years at least we had a goal scorer....even more frustrating when we have a solid defence and should be winning these games. 

What a cluster **** of a way to run a club? A succession of inept owners going back to '76, we have at long last netted a good young coach, of that I am sure, but he needs support financially the squad is bereft of quality and needs probably four good players I

They need to back him in January or at the latest next summer with a couple of quality forwards or we will keep going round in circles.

mehmeti and cornick are hopeless. Or have been to date. Weiman and wells getting on now and won’t be getting any better so now is the time.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Top 6 with these players😂😂😂. All that statement does is put it in block capitals how ******* stupid Snakey and Crayon Whisperer are………..

Whenever we play a good side at the level it’s a narrow defeat with little goal threat…..facts that is. The way we go about it might change, the result doesn’t. We ain’t good enough.

Glad someone’s got it!

• Haha 1

That just showed the gulf in class between the clubs with Parachute payments and the ones without. We matched them for parts of the 1st half but there class showed in the end. They can bring internationals on, where we struggle to even fill the bench (makes us look amateurish) We are desperate for reinforcements to strenghthen a weak squad NP tried to highlight this but wasnt listened and paid the price. Lets hope that Manning gets the message over to those above him and we can bring in 3 or 4 in Jan.    

• Like 1
Just now, milo1111 said:

They need to back him in January or at the latest next summer with a couple of quality forwards or we will keep going round in circles.

mehmeti and cornick are hopeless. Or have been to date. Weiman and wells getting on now and won’t be getting any better so now is the time.

Yep agree see nothing in those two, like they don't want to be here. 

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

I thought we were categorically told Manning has the same target that Pearson had?

It's al a bit redundant as anyone who thinks we are a top six side needs their head examining.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Manning has had THREE games. Give him a chance and lets see how things pan out. If in 3 years time we are still an average Champ team then he will have done no better or worse than the previous manager

I don't want to keep dragging the past up cos we are where we are now. 

The expectation was that we were not embarking on another 3 year project and instead made the change to immediately improve. 

At the moment the early signs are that we have gone backwards. Whilst we could go forwards in the future, based on his 1st 3 games surely you can understand that that there are concerns? 

• Confused 2

First half we got the most out of our players / tactics that we could’ve hoped of against a superior team. And we didn’t take the chances. Second half the inevitable pressure came and we had no credit in the bank. Chasing games against Southampton is a nightmare and we never looked likely to pull level. There is a lesson that the younger players will learn.

not sure why by I really, really dislike Martin, hope he gets sacked and steps on Lego 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

No need to go too crazy over this one imo. They’re a team littered with Prem experience and quality. And we’re some poor finishing away from a positive result against said Prem quality. Early days under LM but good signs.

Agree I am enthused we don't get stuffed, but frustrated with T.C, Harry etc so pathetic, what would I give for a Semenyo?

Just now, Chivs said:

I thought we were categorically told Manning has the same target that Pearson had?

It's al a bit redundant as anyone who thinks we are a top six side needs their head examining.

Yes.  Top 6 no?  Completely agree with your second para but that is what we were told.  That’s the reason they got rid of Nige.   Personally I’m pretty sure I said I’d be happy and expect 10th as a minimum this season before it started when lots were getting dizzy about top 6.   That still stands. But that’s not good enough for our esteemed leadership it seems. 

• Like 3

A great goal from Walker -Peter’s. Mr Stroud was his usual unreliable self missed the handball by Southampton defender from Cornick cross come shot. 
Also maybe should have given Walker -Peters a second yellow for a naughty challenge off the ball. 
But all in all a good performance against a team that had retained many of their premiership squad and continue to receive the dreaded parachute 🪂 payments. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Top 6 with these players😂😂😂. All that statement does is put it in block capitals how ******* stupid Snakey and Crayon Whisperer are………..

Whenever we play a good side at the level it’s a narrow defeat with little goal threat…..facts that is. The way we go about it might change, the result doesn’t. We ain’t good enough.

Agree with this, and getting tired of people constantly using it as the benchmark for Manning.

Jon was an idiot for sacking Pearson and saying what he said, but surely we're adult enough to realise he should be held accountable his words rather than Manning and how he performs.

It would take a miracle and a fully fit squad to get anywhere near the top 6 come the end regardless of who's in the hot seat. 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Yes, the change was made to give the new head coach the best possible chance of promotion this season. 

It was also made because the board wanted a head coach to get our top 6 squad out performing their ability. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Chivs said:

On 29/10/23 Lansdown said in the Bristol Post: “We all wanted Nigel to achieve our ambition to be promoted but, with our recent results, feel that now is the time to make a change to give the club the best possible chance of success.”

I, like am I am sure many, took that to mean anyone coming in had that as the target.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Albeit we might get closer with less injuries.

An extreme example hut Ipswich seem to get very, very few injuries.

No we aren't top 6 but they are too high.

We are the epitome of mid table and our data absolutely hammers it home…….but we have the worlds top badge designer and a bloke who can’t even spell his own job correctly who beg to differ.

• Haha 3