IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

9 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

But if the expectation (of the board) is top 6 we should be more than just 'hopeful' against this kind of side. We played well enough to come away with a point, despite a poor second half.

Despite the second half, if Cornick crosses to Knight, one pace  / step earlier or Mehmeti doesn't fall over his own feet in the box we could and should have had a late equaliser.

I'm not saying we didn't play well enough, our best finisher needs to be finishing those first half chances, but Southampton have a gurt big massive financial advantage and player pull than us just because jon lansdown says top 6 it does not negate the fact. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, petehinton said:

Bloke is an absolute egomaniac. Walked around clapping the fans BY HIMSELF not with the players at FT, ensured he was the last person left on the pitch (along with the photographer) whilst doing so too. Absolute bell.  

Absolute cock.

If Southampton get back up it will be down to parachute payments, not him.

Bluffer.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I'm not saying we didn't play well enough, our best finisher needs to be finishing those first half chances, but Southampton have a gurt big massive financial advantage and player pull than us just because jon lansdown says top 6 it does not negate the fact. 

I didn't say it did, I said we should be more than just 'hopeful' against these sort of teams if we want to be competing amongst them. There are probably 8 teams with a bigger financial advantage than us but we have been told we should be competing at the top end of the table, rather than just 'hoping' to.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

I didn't say it did, I said we should be more than just 'hopeful' against these sort of teams if we want to be competing amongst them. There are probably 8 teams with a bigger financial advantage than us but we have been told we should be competing at the top end of the table, rather than just 'hoping' to.

Hopeful is fair in my opinion as I'm hopeful in every game we play that we can win it, blaming cornick without a mention of Conway is a little harsh I think.

Ah well let's just win on Sunday instead

• Like 1
  • Robin 1
3 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Hopeful is fair in my opinion as I'm hopeful in every game we play that we can win it, blaming cornick without a mention of Conway is a little harsh I think.

Ah well let's just win on Sunday instead

No blame from me on Cornick ( I am one of the few that can see what he brings to the team ) he just got a bit carried away with his run. He could actually have just wellied the ball goalwards a bit earlier as the keeper was 'all at sea' and in no mans land. And I was referring to our late chances where we could have 'nicked' a point. Anyway as you say, let's hope for a win Saturday.

• Like 1

Instead of X Vs Y I'm trying to look at the team and progression. 
We have tried to move to a more possession based style for some time, there has been an improvement but it has been slow. Maybe a new voice will speed up that transition. Looking at the first half last night, I think it showed some improvement already.
There has been , in reality , about 8 days coaching and 2 games. In those 2 games against teams expected to be top 6 we have created enough to win both games, while staying fairly solid at the back. 
I know we moan about injuries , but last night we ended up with ;
1 fit RB
2 fit CB's
0 fit LB's
That would cause problems for most teams and meant we were plugging holes. 
To me I think there are signs of being happier with the ball, it will take time, it has taken time. But without the ability of going out and buying 5/6 players it has to be coached.
Another decent side Sunday , though having their own problems, and another side that likes to keep the ball. It will be interesting to see how that goes, we win and 7 points from this run of games doesn't look too bad. If we play like we did first half last night but add a cutting edge, we may even be happy on here. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, johnheadbcfc said:

If Conway took his chances this forum would be dare I say it, a positive place 

Ifs, buts and maybes John.

The forum was in a positive place at half-time, don’t forget, with the score 0-0.

But the Forum is reflecting a full 90 minutes, and my opinion was it was a reasonable performance.  Others will see it on either side of my “middling” view.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think if the two halves were swapped around, we'd all be saying we were robbed/unlucky. Despite reverting to type in the second half, we still had two or three decent opening and should have at least drawn a save from the keeper.

My main takeaway is that the players aren't confident enough in their own ability (and maybe just not good enough - in this game anyway) to carry out the coaches instruction for the entire game.

I appreciate the effort the players are putting in and i know they are all giving 100%.As you say the 1st half performance was excellent and we should have been at least 1 goal to the good.But 2nd half after 2 minutes we fall asleep.Walker-peters had as much room as you get on the portway on a sunday morning,and has that extra quality that our players do not possess. I give credit to our team for trying to implement LM's game plan,but against the top teams we will at the moment always be 2nd best.Against the lesser clubs we should accumulate enough points to stay in the division. I can see that the new management  team are hardworking and totally  committed 24/7 so well done to them,and i wish them every success,fingers-crossed😀 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 95red said:

Under Manning we will  look good ,side ways passing  plenty  of possession  tippy tat football  ,go one down then nothing offer absolute  nothing ,O'driscoll welcome  back .

Last night was his first match where we have gone behind, so it's early to deduce this I think.

I also think any manage playing away from home to an ex Prem side who went into 4th place after scoring, would find it an uphill struggle too. In short I don't think Pearson would have faired any better. 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Russell Martin remains a bit of a chippy tosser. Saw it linked on Twitter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gwrhfs

I don't know who the interviewer was but feel sorry for him, it sounded like he wanted to tip his mug of tea over Martin's head. I used to have conversations with my ex boss like that, sounds like there was previous.

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

Last night was his first match where we have gone behind, so it's early to deduce this I think.

I also think any manage playing away from home to an ex Prem side who went into 4th place after scoring, would find it an uphill struggle too. In short I don't think Pearson would have faired any better. 

Oh I thought we brought  Manning  in because  he's a better coach  than Pearson & would have more ideas  to change  things when up against it .

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

I don't think we would have either. 

However I did feel as if it was possible to get a result last night. Southampton didn't really impress me last night. But maybe they had more gears, who knows. They are certainly not a Leicester. 

My main gripe is that we just ran out of ideas and that we didn't push for an equaliser. Almost just accepted the 1 nil defeat.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

No blame from me on Cornick ( I am one of the few that can see what he brings to the team ) he just got a bit carried away with his run. He could actually have just wellied the ball goalwards a bit earlier as the keeper was 'all at sea' and in no mans land. And I was referring to our late chances where we could have 'nicked' a point. Anyway as you say, let's hope for a win Saturday.

Don't think we'll win Saturday either. 

• Haha 3

I haven't read any of the previous pages, only this one.

We looked ok in the first half and created some decent chances. But we rely on one player to score and if he's out of sorts, we end the game on NIL.

I thought Southampton looked like a typical bottom end of Premier League table. Play keep ball very well but didn't create the chances as we did. They may go back up but I think not unless Ipswich implode.

I notice that all of our matches against the three Prem sides, have been away. Big advantage for them? All three lost by a single goal and in none of them were we totally outplayed. I wonder what the scores would have been if we had all three at home instead of away? Am I cynical that we had three away games and none at home yet. Relegated Prem sides are always at their most vulnerable in the early season.

PS. What about the handball by a Soton defender? Did Stroud chicken out of the right decision?

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3
38 minutes ago, 95red said:

Oh I thought we brought  Manning  in because  he's a better coach  than Pearson & would have more ideas  to change  things when up against it .

Maybe if he had the tools for the job, we are up against it at the moment with injuries. I doubt any manager would improve us much at the moment, I think there was more to the sacking of Pearson than just poor results. IMO.

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We looked ok in the first half and created some decent chances. But we rely on one player to score and if he's out of sorts, we end the game on NIL.

I thought Southampton looked like a typical bottom end of Premier League table. Play keep ball very well but didn't create the chances as we did. They may go back up but I think not unless Ipswich implode.

I notice that all of our matches against the three Prem sides, have been away. Big advantage for them? All three lost by a single goal and in none of them were we totally outplayed. I wonder what the scores would have been if we had all three at home instead of away? Am I cynical that we had three away games and none at home yet. Relegated Prem sides are always at their most vulnerable in the early season.

PS. What about the handball by a Soton defender? Did Stroud chicken out of the right decision?

Handball would have been extremely harsh. Ball hammered at him as he slid across to  block. From my view wasn't even convinced that it hit his hand/arm.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, One Team said:

On 29/10/23 Lansdown said in the Bristol Post: “We all wanted Nigel to achieve our ambition to be promoted but, with our recent results, feel that now is the time to make a change to give the club the best possible chance of success.”

I, like am I am sure many, took that to mean anyone coming in had that as the target.

But this little thread of the conversation started off with the words “top 6 …this season” in there. And I don’t see any mention of that in that quote……

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

No was definitely not a penalty. Armstrong very lucky to not be sent off for a second yellow for his dive at the  end of the first half though. If it was further up the pitch, he probably would’ve had to have gone. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

You can’t be promoted in 7th place let alone 11th or 12th! 😉

You don’t say😀😀😀

”this season” is the bit you missed there Dave!!

I think the club handled the comms around all this badly, don’t get me wrong! But at the same time some of the ways in which the statements they’ve made have been misused and revised and then attributed as if LM is to blame is maybe starting to get to me!! And it just felt like this was a case in point. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, italian dave said:

You don’t say😀😀😀

”this season” is the bit you missed there Dave!!

I think the club handled the comms around all this badly, don’t get me wrong! But at the same time some of the ways in which the statements they’ve made have been misused and revised and then attributed as if LM is to blame is maybe starting to get to me!! And it just felt like this was a case in point. 

Any season 🤣🤣🤣

16 hours ago, lenred said:

That’s not true though is it?  
He’s been given the platform to perform here - and top 6 is expected this season and with these players.  Maybe he will do it.  Too early to tell so far.   But you cannot give him the same target as NP. We’ve been categorically told that’s not the case.   

And categorically know that it was bullshit.

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Maybe if he had the tools for the job, we are up against it at the moment with injuries. I doubt any manager would improve us much at the moment, I think there was more to the sacking of Pearson than just poor results. IMO.

The same tools Pearson  had but wasn't  backed ,he will get spends in Jan, lansdown  still expecting  top 6 with the same squad Pearson  had,his words .