IGNORED

Southampton away match thread

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Very annoying result against one of the weaker parachute teams in recent years. Very normal for us to go away to these teams and lose by one though. In fact you might say nothing has changed.

Too many players out of position for my liking so hopefully not Manning trying to be too clever, especially in the second half when the defence changed about five times.

Thin squad, injuries including in game- what can we do.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I’ve had a guts full of Mehmeti now. Offers absolutely f all for me. Cornick is ok coming on when we are defending a lead but he is woeful when we need a goal and a spark.

what a dreadful second half performance against a Southampton side who have good players but are underperforming due to their crap manager

Yeh reluctantly agree. I thought he would come good with a bit of time. Every time he gets the ball, you want him to do something meaningful but it never happens. Very frustrating player to watch and I doubt he's going to make it unfortunately 

• Like 1

Familiar story....have two clear chances in the first half and fail to capitalise.....then lose 1-0 due to a moment of individual brilliance / ruthlessness.

Played well first half....contained them. Went to crap post thier goal, unable to get the ball back and when we did gave it away cheaply. 

Onwards and upwards! COYRs!

Despite a disjointed second half performance we should of got something out of that game. For all of Southampton's possession they didn't create much and it took a near worldy to beat us. We paid the price for not taking our chances first half with TC the chief culprit and both Cornick and Mehmeti wasted good opportunities late in the game. Frustrating night again. 

• Like 2

If Tommy keeps getting into goal scoring positions the goals will come.  However, the hard truth is you can’t spurn the two chances he missed tonight and expect to win, or even draw, at places like St Mary’s.

That the squad lacks depth is obvious to everyone.  The owner needs to support his new coach in January, and in the summer, if real progress is to be made.

2 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

I agree with your analysis of the game.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're concerned that people will accuse you of having an agenda, maybe have a think about why that is.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Remember when this is supposed to be a team capable of being at the top end of the Championship?

The quality just isn’t there. They run their bollocks off, just as they did for the previous manager, but the genuine consistent quality… it’s not there.

And, ultimately, also just like the previous manager Liam Manning won’t be able to fix that without signing better players.

Injuries? Could push us a bit further with less.

Had Conway taken that chance..

Conceding so early 2nd half killed any momentum, we went back to where we were a couple of seasons back.
But that first half showed some real promise. The injury to Naismith meant we were even more unbalanced and although I would have started with Sykes on the left, he looked uncomfortable. 
Hopefully there will be more games like the first half as Manning gets his ideas over. The 2 halves were like chalk & cheese and when we were creating chances we didn't take them . TC's free header, 1 on 1 and Sykes chance we should have been ahead.  
We play like we did first half , on Sunday and I fancy us.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

Yeh reluctantly agree. I thought he would come good with a bit of time. Every time he gets the ball, you want him to do something meaningful but it never happens. Very frustrating player to watch and I doubt he's going to make it unfortunately 

He was decent on Saturday I thought.  

Good first half.

Second awful. Absolutely awful.

Bar doing well to keep it down to 1, that was the only positive - that was as devoid of ideas and quality a half of football from City I can remember for a while. Never looked like scoring. Barely get the ball at times. 

2 breaks ending in complete lack of composure and quality - and one penalty shout (seen them given, not by Keith f ing Stroud though)

Didn’t expect much from that game but that second half has left me very deflated - especially as for the first time with this squad there was a sense of tension between the players, little agro’s, a lot of frustration coming through IMO…maybe it was just the game but the morale didn’t seem quite right somehow…

• Like 1
Just now, Northern Red said:

I agree with your analysis of the game.

The only thing I would suggest is that if you're concerned that people will accuse you of having an agenda, maybe have a think about why that is.

Yes I have and I concluded its because they themselves have an agenda so therefore have to accuse others of the same. 

If anyone thinks anyone is happy to lose, they need to give their head a wobble. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Kinda difficult to post my opinions without being accused of having an agenda by those that do have an agenda. 

BUT that 2nd half was painful. Came out and conceded and we had no plan B. We had no plan at all. We went from being well coached to not being able to string two passes together. 

Really disappointed as the 1st half was a positive half .

Wow, have i read that right... i think we played pretty well tonight and after just 3 games i can already see what Manning wants us to do which after nearly 3 years i couldn't see under Nige.

We have just competed very well against a Prem team from last season who scored a worldie goal by an England international.

Yes, we were better in the first half but i thought we looked organised throughout and tried to pass the ball as much as we could.

We clearly need a couple of new attacking options but i am very optimistic with Mannings start.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Remember when this is supposed to be a team capable of being at the top end of the Championship?

The quality just isn’t there. They run their bollocks off, just as they did for the previous manager, but the genuine consistent quality… it’s not there.

And, ultimately, also just like the previous manager Liam Manning won’t be able to fix that without signing better players.

Totally agree, defensively feels about right but not enough quality in front 4. Needs 2 more decent players in those front 4 positions 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Sykes pulled up a few mins before coming off. Looked like cramp but he could hardly move whatever it was. 

Tinnion will appoint himself head of medical before long. 

I thought these things were over now that Pearson and his clueless mob have left the club.

I bet they aint then, Jon.

Edited by AppyDAZE