IGNORED

Are Some Clubs Destined For The Premier League?

The Coach

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

Indeed, so relegated teams can retain their star names and bounce back up.

However, for decades Brighton, Bournemouth and Brentford were constants in Div 3 (as was) and that is what rubs. Before they received any PP, each of them managed to climb above City and others like us.

Bournemouth breached FFP on the way up. Subsequent PL and Parachute Payments plus players acquired in the PL sold in the Championship assisted them greatly.

Brighton capitalised on momentum at a good time. Check their average attendance and turnover across 2010-11 and 2011-12. Both basically went up by a factor of 2.5-3 as promotion coincided with a move to the Amex.

Their fortunes fluctuate a lot too- late 1970s to early 1980s, 4 years in the top flight and an FA Cup Final. Strong support base at that point.

Amazingly when they were promoted in 2010-11, plus they moved to the Amex their attendances rose by 10-15k after years in the wilderness. Suddenly you have momentum. They had a large untapped and latent support base.

Bit like us in a way. Albeit they spent a lot more time in the third tier.

Brentford were very smart. Still are- Brighton quite smart too.

There's no exact science annoyingly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

I joked after Sunday I want another League 1 tour (and it was a joke, I don't fancy getting relegated!), but the joke was founded on the fact that I believe if/when we do next get relegated however many years from now, we'll be back up in a season or two maybe with an EFL Trophy on the shelf (won three previous). We have the 'know-how' down there that the clubs mentioned by OP have at this level.

Some stats in support of this statement. 

City in "Third Tier" - 45 seasons P2,010, W879, D517, L614.

"Second Tier" - 56 seasons;  P2,357, W822, D611, L924

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't think we can wholly compare like with like, we were walking bit of a fine line with FFP.

Now could we have invested the January money better absolutely but we were not too far off our Upper Loss limit in January 2018. (They were checking financials in March by this stage).

We wouldn't have made top 2 anyway IMO 2017-18, top 6 playoffs perhaps should have.

Cardiff were also in receipt of Parachute Payments, we were not.

If we were sold, as an estimate, how many years and how much restructuring would be required, whilst staying within FFP, before we could make the PL?

Hate to say it, but Bristol Rovers in the Championship would be a good thing for Bristol football maybe. Been far too cosy for the Lansdowns.
Would also put pressure on the Lansdowns to actually take BCFC seriously (or **** off). The current situation is killing this club. Lansdowns need to go asap. The whole Bristol Sport crap is killing this club. Joke of a CEO, joke of a club shop, joke food, joke, joke, joke….
I don’t give two hoots about the egg chasers, basketball, blah blah, blah. Bristol City FC is what matters.

Edited by fisherrich
  • Like 2
  • Robin 1