IGNORED

Yorkshires for Christmas?

ExiledAjax

Yorkshire puddings at Christmas?  

59 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Barrs Court Red said:

No, because we’re not savages.  However, that’s the adult plates.  The kids will probably have Yorkshires. 

In our house, starters generally consist of a choice of Terrine. The main course will be sliced Turkey, honey roasted parsnips, goose fat roast potatoes…and an array of veg.  

*edit* forgot pigs in blankets.  They’re a a must have. 

One of the things I love about Christmas dinner is getting a “sword” of sprouts - it’s faff to peel, it’s not great value but it’s a once in a year thing - pretty much like roasting a turkey*. 

Also, no Turkey is not “a yank tradition” for Christmas dinner. 

* I did one try also smoking a Turkey at Easter. Never again, complete disaster. 

I was wrong...it isn't a Yank tradition...however, as I thought, Turkeys are native to the America's and imported here in medieval times. 

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/turkeys#:~:text=So how did a bird,a turkey on it!)

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I was wrong...it isn't a Yank tradition...however, as I thought, Turkeys are native to the America's and imported here in medieval times. 

https://www.whychristmas.com/customs/turkeys#:~:text=So how did a bird,a turkey on it!)

No worries, a lot of our food is not originally native. Pheasants surprised me, originally from Asia. 

Turkey, roast spuds, sprouts off a stalk, probably cauli or carrots or both, pigs in blankets and sausage meat stuffing plus Mrs LR`s onion Source if she makes any. There`ll be plenty left over which will be the cold tea for Boxing Day (except the veg, cold sprouts and carrots don`t do it for me).

I could just go a few cold crispy roasts with a bit of salt on now - mmmmmmmmm!

11 hours ago, spudski said:

10 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

No worries, a lot of our food is not originally native. Pheasants surprised me, originally from Asia. 

Isn’t Turkey a traditional American dish…..but at Thanksgiving, not Christmas??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

No, because we’re not savages.  However, that’s the adult plates.  The kids will probably have Yorkshires. 

In our house, starters generally consist of a choice of Terrine. The main course will be sliced Turkey, honey roasted parsnips, goose fat roast potatoes…and an array of veg.  

*edit* forgot pigs in blankets.  They’re a a must have. 

One of the things I love about Christmas dinner is getting a “sword” of sprouts - it’s faff to peel, it’s not great value but it’s a once in a year thing - pretty much like roasting a turkey*. 

Also, no Turkey is not “a yank tradition” for Christmas dinner. 

* I did one try also smoking a Turkey at Easter. Never again, complete disaster. 

where did you get rizlas big enough?

best yorkshire i had was a starter at harry ramsdens filled with onion gravy, it was huge

Edited by redsquirrel
  • Haha 2

On 16/12/2023 at 22:44, redsquirrel said:

where did you get rizlas big enough?

best yorkshire i had was a starter at harry ramsdens filled with onion gravy, it was huge

I wish I had tried smoking it that way…it would have turned out better than my epic fail. 

Turns out the Yanks brine theirs first…lesson learned but I can’t be arsed to try again. 

On 16/12/2023 at 09:38, italian dave said:

Anyone having a vegan Christmas? Just asking 😂

Yup, and can't wait for it. Nothing can exactly replace the actual meat joint, but everything else is pretty much bang on the same if you make the right adjustments, and to be fair even some of the mock joints now are ****ing brilliant.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Perth area 

Last time I was in Perth was circa 1975 and Deep Purple were doing a concert. Only other times were just passing through the airport. Most of my time there was living in SA, NT & QLD.  Anyway, have a great trip.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Last time I was in Perth was circa 1975 and Deep Purple were doing a concert. Only other times were just passing through the airport. Most of my time there was living in SA, NT & QLD.  Anyway, have a great trip.

Son used to live in QLD. Terrible floods there at the moment.

Glad he's moved to WA!

Daughter lives in Mandurah so our time split between them.

I'm back for the Millwall game 🥶

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Son used to live in QLD. Terrible floods there at the moment.

Glad he's moved to WA!

Daughter lives in Mandurah so our time split between them.

I'm back for the Millwall game 🥶

Saw Cairns was badly flooded.  Cyclone season at the moment.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Yup, and can't wait for it. Nothing can exactly replace the actual meat joint, but everything else is pretty much bang on the same if you make the right adjustments, and to be fair even some of the mock joints now are ****ing brilliant.

I’m not vegan/veggie, but I’m eating more and more vegan food by choice.

As you say, a lot of the alternatives now are great.

Burgers that are better than many meat ones, a nut roast that I enjoy as much as any meat roast - and even at Ashton Gate they did a vegan pie a few years back that was better than any of the meat pies on offer.

I’ve not gone as far as vegan Christmas Day - porchetta for me this year. To be honest, it would be the evening/Boxing Day I’d struggle with more - I do like some Parma ham, parmesan cheese, mozzarella! And the vegan alternatives to those are …ugh! 

Out of interest, What are you having as your joint? 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Burgers that are better than many meat ones, a nut roast that I enjoy as much as any meat roast - and even at Ashton Gate they did a vegan pie a few years back that was better than any of the meat pies on offer.

I’ve not gone as far as vegan Christmas Day - porchetta for me this year. To be honest, it would be the evening/Boxing Day I’d struggle with more - I do like some Parma ham, parmesan cheese, mozzarella! And the vegan alternatives to those are …ugh! 

Spot on, and I know the exact pie you're on about, it was banging! To be fair I've only been doing this a few years myself so still not completely up to speed on it all. I think processing-wise the fake meats aren't the best, but you could say the same about a huge chunk of meat products as well. But fair play to you, any effort is a good effort particularly over Christmas. 

I'm not sure which one we'll be going for but I've had the THIS Isn't Roast Chicken and it was really decent, and we will be having a practice run Thursday night with the Sainsbury's Taste The Difference one. The biggest tip I could give you is these though, eye-waveringly expensive but they are better than any 'real' Yorkshire pudding I've ever had.

Honestly it will never be the same as actual turkey or beef, it just won't, but my Dad is in his 60's and not veggie in the slightest, and is voluntarily giving up his turkey/beef this year to share the fake stuff we're having as he liked it so much last time, and we are not the type to pressure him at all, quite the opposite. It really has come a long way.

But to bring it back for the meat eaters, slow-cooked beef is far better than turkey, even at Christmas.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

1 hour ago, nebristolred said:

Spot on, and I know the exact pie you're on about, it was banging! To be fair I've only been doing this a few years myself so still not completely up to speed on it all. I think processing-wise the fake meats aren't the best, but you could say the same about a huge chunk of meat products as well. But fair play to you, any effort is a good effort particularly over Christmas. 

I'm not sure which one we'll be going for but I've had the THIS Isn't Roast Chicken and it was really decent, and we will be having a practice run Thursday night with the Sainsbury's Taste The Difference one. The biggest tip I could give you is these though, eye-waveringly expensive but they are better than any 'real' Yorkshire pudding I've ever had.

Honestly it will never be the same as actual turkey or beef, it just won't, but my Dad is in his 60's and not veggie in the slightest, and is voluntarily giving up his turkey/beef this year to share the fake stuff we're having as he liked it so much last time, and we are not the type to pressure him at all, quite the opposite. It really has come a long way.

But to bring it back for the meat eaters, slow-cooked beef is far better than turkey, even at Christmas.

It's bad enough at Xmas with the affects sprouts have. 

I can't imagine what it's like at a Vegan Xmas 🤢🤦🤣

In fact, the theory that cattle produce so much methane that it's bad for the environment, I suggest for that reason alone, banishing all vegans, that are creating global warming with their stinking arses. 😉🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Frenchay Red said:

A Christmas first for us. Visited family in Oz many times but not in December. So will be lobster, giant prawns, turkey wings, glazed ham and various salad selections. Very much an outdoor Christmas 😎🌞

You'll enjoy it.

I had three hot/outdoor Christmases in the Carribbean. Lobster tails are delicious, and most places will still do you turkey.

I even had sushi one year. Really nice.

It's different but when everyone around you is doing the same you don't notice it as much. 

• Like 2