IGNORED

Sunderland at home match thread

1 hour ago, tin said:

Today reminded me a bit of our win at Cardiff under Holden a few years ago. Outplayed for 70-80 minutes, our keeper (Bentley back then, Max today) has a blinder, and we ride our luck to see it out. A welcome three points but far from convincing IMO. 

Just be grateful that we got three points to stop the drift toward the bottom six. So Sunderland about 65% of the ball but apart from scrambled efforts from crosses, didn't make too many clear cut chances. And those that did happen were stopped by a good day for Max. Agree we weren't convincing but after the last month, any three points are gratefully received.

The Mackems went home thinking life isn't fair and we went home chuffed that we scrambled a win against the odds.

Edited by cidered abroad

A very welcome three points. We were decent enough for most of the first half. In the second half we were dire and unable to keep hold of the ball. 

Sunderland passed and moved well and were good on the ball, but lacked a cutting edge. 

Very relieved to get the win, but we need to be better than that. 

• Like 2

Just watched the extended highlights. Bit of a fraud as a lot of it is the teams walking out and lining up.

Anyway , it's good work making it look a very even game. TBF they didn't trouble Max nearly enough from the positions they got in, sounds familiar.  Two very good saves was as close as they got , where TGH forced their keeper into 2 saves which he probably should make.
The Penalty shouts , Sykes is a Pen for me and I think because of that the Ref was quick to give the one on TGH, which I think was but one we might not have got last year. Their shout from the Pring challenge isn't for me. Bit like the Hull one away a while back. Goes down after thinking about it and in instalments .
Sunderland were the first team to pass around us like that since Leicester  and probably 2nd half Southampton. 
A good lesson for Manning and he would have found out a little more about his players. 
Important 3 points and that's what was needed, we have had the decent performances where we have dropped points, this was the reverse almost.
Be nice to scramble another undeserved 3 points Friday , even better if we deserve them.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

So Sunderland about 65% of the ball but apart from scrambled efforts from crosses, didn't make too many clear cut chances

For such a good team in their build up they had nothing that made me truly worried. Most relaxed I’ve been for a long while,  sitting on a 1/0 scoreline.  Was quite an odd feeling!   

• Like 1

Wow! On the Sunderland forum, their match thread is 114 pages long. Here's some of their comments.

How long can ye hang on to Jason Knight do you think?….Max O Leary surely on the radar of other clubs too?

I thought we should have started with a striker

The last non-penalty away goal Sunderland scored was Jack Clarke v Stoke City - 21st October. We’ve had 103 shots away from home since that goal.

I was listening to Bristol City match commentary and they know we played them "off the field" over 90 mins but just couldnt score.

Would actually have appreciated a bit if tippy tippy passing around the back, yesterday, to relieve the pressure and get hold of the ball. I thought Max was guilty of giving the ball away far too often by just lumping it forward. The result was it went almost straight back to their keeper and they immediately built another quick attack from the back. 

6 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Just watched the extended highlights. Bit of a fraud as a lot of it is the teams walking out and lining up.

Anyway , it's good work making it look a very even game. TBF they didn't trouble Max nearly enough from the positions they got in, sounds familiar.  Two very good saves was as close as they got , where TGH forced their keeper into 2 saves which he probably should make.
The Penalty shouts , Sykes is a Pen for me and I think because of that the Ref was quick to give the one on TGH, which I think was but one we might not have got last year. Their shout from the Pring challenge isn't for me. Bit like the Hull one away a while back. Goes down after thinking about it and in instalments .
Sunderland were the first team to pass around us like that since Leicester  and probably 2nd half Southampton. 
A good lesson for Manning and he would have found out a little more about his players. 
Important 3 points and that's what was needed, we have had the decent performances where we have dropped points, this was the reverse almost.
Be nice to scramble another undeserved 3 points Friday , even better if we deserve them.

Agree, who needs 45 seconds of highlights of players lining up.

Thought both Skyes & TGH looked penalties, Sunderland one, not sure as Pring looked to have played the ball, but would not surprised to see it given. Would also liked to have seen the other penalty shout on Skyes in the 2nd half where we broke away and the player came through the back of Skyes, it was right in front of us a looked a nailed on (although what I thought I seen and reality can be different once I see it on a replay)

8 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Thought both Skyes & TGH looked penalties, Sunderland one, not sure as Pring looked to have played the ball, but would not surprised to see it given. Would also liked to have seen the other penalty shout on Skyes in the 2nd half where we broke away and the player came through the back of Skyes, it was right in front of us a looked a nailed on (although what I thought I seen and reality can be different once I see it on a replay)

The full game is on RobinsTV so I'll have a look tomorrow , can't remember the 2nd Sykes one.

15 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Nah, poor touch with his head, never really got ahead of the defender who eased him off the ball, and we got a corner.