IGNORED

Sunderland at home match thread

Looking for back-to-back promotions after coming up from League One via the play-offs, they made it to last season’s play-offs, where having won the home game 2-1 they lost 3-2 to Luton Town on aggregate.

Currently they are sixth with 33 points.

They signed Benfica striker Luis Hemir Silva Semedo for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal.The 19-year-old had featured for the club's B team in the Portuguese second tier in the past two seasons.

They also added PSV Eindhoven defender Jenson Seelt for an undisclosed fee.The 20-year-old signed a five-year contract, he made one Eredivisie appearance, against PEC Zwolle in May 2022, and featured in match-day squads last season.

In late July they signed former Blackburn attacking-midfielder Bradley Dack on a one-year deal. The 29-year-old reunited with Black Cats manager Tony Mowbray, who he played under during his time at Rovers.

They also signed Sochaux striker Eliezer Mayenda for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal. The 18-year-old former Spainish Under-17 international became the French side's youngest ever player when he made his debut aged 16 years and seven months in December 2021.

They signed Manchester United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal. The 23-year-old joined United from Southend in January 2020 but never made a competitive appearance for the Premier League side.

On deadline day they added defender Timothee Pembele, midfielder Adil Aouchiche and strikers Mason Burstow and Nazariy Rusyn.

Last season in this fixture they picked up the points, https://youtu.be/_uFGtinhJ58

To get you in the festive spirt enjoy the taste of Christmas by tucking into festive concessions of Yorkshire pudding wraps at the Festive Unit in the Fan Village and mulled cider from The Gate bar. Also, keep an eye out for FREE Mince Pies while stock-ings last!

Supporters can take advantage of the Christmassy scene and Oh! Ho! Ho, by being on the lookout for Santa Claus and his Elf, who will be off the shelf and out and about around the ground ready to pose for a photo!

Head-to-head record is close.

Won: 17

Lost: 16

Drawn: 15

LMs notes: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-men-news/liams-notes-sunderland-afc-h/

Their preview: https://youtu.be/f0d7n0F-l00

Officials

Referee: Stephen Martin

Assistants: Mark Dwyer and Mark Pottage

Fourth official: Scott Oldham

In September Tony Mowbray triggered a 12-month contract extension after leading Sunderland to the Championship play-offs last season - despite a summer of speculation over his future on Wearside. The Black Cats head coach was appointed in August 2022. In early December he was sacked with them sitting ninth in the table.

Mike Dodds has been placed in temporary charge while they look for a successor, Dodds was also put in temporary charge when Lee Johnson was sacked. He started his tenure with a 2-1 home win against WBA in front of 40,101 fans and followed it up with a 1-0 home win against Leeds on Tuesday. He will take charge on Saturday as the club's search for a successor to Tony Mowbray continues.

Spreadex is the club’s principal partner. The UK-based financial trading and sports betting firm agreed a deal for a three-year partnership, which will include the Spreadex Sports logo adorning the Club’s home and away shirts until summer 2025.

Fans are invited to spread some festive cheer to those who may need it. Charities Teddy Trust, Kitmas and St Mungo’s will be on site accepting donations on Saturday.

Supporters can bring donations, that fit the criteria of each charity, to Ashton Gate Stadium on Saturday and drop them off at the donation point, which over the festive weekend will be located inside the concourse at A8 – which is located opposite the Sports bar from inside the concourse.  The Club will sort all the donations and deliver them to each charity in time for Christmas.

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4360.webp

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
31 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Looking for back-to-back promotions after coming up from League One via the play-offs, they made it to last season’s play-offs, where having won the home game 2-1 they lost 3-2 to Luton Town on aggregate.

Currently they are sixth with 33 points.

They signed Benfica striker Luis Hemir Silva Semedo for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal.The 19-year-old had featured for the club's B team in the Portuguese second tier in the past two seasons.

They also added PSV Eindhoven defender Jenson Seelt for an undisclosed fee.The 20-year-old signed a five-year contract, he made one Eredivisie appearance, against PEC Zwolle in May 2022, and featured in match-day squads last season.

In late July they signed former Blackburn attacking-midfielder Bradley Dack on a one-year deal. The 29-year-old reunited with Black Cats manager Tony Mowbray, who he played under during his time at Rovers.

They also signed Sochaux striker Eliezer Mayenda for an undisclosed fee on a five-year deal. The 18-year-old former Spainish Under-17 international became the French side's youngest ever player when he made his debut aged 16 years and seven months in December 2021.

They signed Manchester United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop for an undisclosed fee on a three-year deal. The 23-year-old joined United from Southend in January 2020 but never made a competitive appearance for the Premier League side.

On deadline day they added defender Timothee Pembele, midfielder Adil Aouchiche and strikers Mason Burstow and Nazariy Rusyn.

Last season in this fixture they picked up the points, https://youtu.be/_uFGtinhJ58

To get you in the festive spirt enjoy the taste of Christmas by tucking into festive concessions of Yorkshire pudding wraps at the Festive Unit in the Fan Village and mulled cider from The Gate bar. Also, keep an eye out for FREE Mince Pies while stock-ings last!

Supporters can take advantage of the Christmassy scene and Oh! Ho! Ho, by being on the lookout for Santa Claus and his Elf, who will be off the shelf and out and about around the ground ready to pose for a photo!

Head-to-head record is close.

Won: 17

Lost: 16

Drawn: 15

LMs notes: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/city-men-news/liams-notes-sunderland-afc-h/

Their preview: https://youtu.be/f0d7n0F-l00

Officials

Referee: Stephen Martin

Assistants: Mark Dwyer and Mark Pottage

Fourth official: Scott Oldham

In September Tony Mowbray triggered a 12-month contract extension after leading Sunderland to the Championship play-offs last season - despite a summer of speculation over his future on Wearside. The Black Cats head coach was appointed in August 2022. In early December he was sacked with them sitting ninth in the table.

Mike Dodds has been placed in temporary charge while they look for a successor, Dodds was also put in temporary charge when Lee Johnson was sacked. He started his tenure with a 2-1 home win against WBA in front of 40,101 fans and followed it up with a 1-0 home win against Leeds on Tuesday. He will take charge on Saturday as the club's search for a successor to Tony Mowbray continues.

Spreadex is the club’s principal partner. The UK-based financial trading and sports betting firm agreed a deal for a three-year partnership, which will include the Spreadex Sports logo adorning the Club’s home and away shirts until summer 2025.

Fans are invited to spread some festive cheer to those who may need it. Charities Teddy Trust, Kitmas and St Mungo’s will be on site accepting donations on Saturday.

Supporters can bring donations, that fit the criteria of each charity, to Ashton Gate Stadium on Saturday and drop them off at the donation point, which over the festive weekend will be located inside the concourse at A8 – which is located opposite the Sports bar from inside the concourse.  The Club will sort all the donations and deliver them to each charity in time for Christmas.

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4361.jpeg

IMG_4360.webp

Condensed Version

Sunderland:

Charities Teddy Trust, Kitmas and St Mungo’s will be on site accepting donations on Saturday.

2 - 0 win to City

COYR

43 minutes ago, chowie said:

No Press Conference for this one?

not seen anything, but did find these bland notes on the web site

I am sure all of us – players, staff and fans – will be happy to get back to Ashton Gate on Saturday for the home game against Sunderland.

It was a tough four days on the road and we are thankful to the fans who made the trip to Huddersfield or Blackburn or both.

Your support is really appreciated and we are sorry we couldn’t give you any points to cheer about.

The Huddersfield game was frustrating because we dominated the first half but came in a goal down so I wasn’t too happy at half-time.

We got a much-needed reaction in the second half but then we didn’t really carry that into the Blackburn game. Despite starting well, we were flat for a lot of the first half although we also didn’t give them many chances.

Our goal was a real moment of quality and it kicked us into life. We showed a bit of belief to go and engage, press higher and force more mistakes, and for the last 25 minutes we were the much more dominant and stronger team.

We have to have the belief, confidence and the fighting spirit which we showed in the last quarter and that’s what we need to be about all game on Saturday.

We extend a festive welcome to Mike Dodds, his staff, players and Sunderland fans who are making the long trip from the North East.

City Women’s final game of the year is against Chelsea on Sunday. They earned a valuable point at Liverpool last weekend and it would be great if there was a big home crowd to cheer them on against the Women’s Super League leaders.

Thank you and enjoy both games. 

Liam

• Like 1

Like every City fan I’m hoping for an entertaining win by playing some slick and front foot football.

If I was picking the starting 11 I’d certainly look to liven up the engine room by leaving out either Williams or James and replacing them with TGH who much to my surprise was only on the bench at Blackburn. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Like every City fan I’m hoping for an entertaining win by playing some slick and front foot football.

If I was picking the starting 11 I’d certainly look to liven up the engine room by leaving out either Williams or James and replacing them with TGH who much to my surprise was only on the bench at Blackburn. 

I think you will be watching patient, possession based football (that's if we get it right).

• Sad 1

Are any of our injured players back?

As much as I like Bell, think he needs to start on the bench as have been poor recently, so either Memheti gets a start as thought he looked more up for it when he came on, or another option in the front line?

TGH needs to start with probable Williams dropping back out, but coming on to freshen up 2nd half.

Up front is difficult as we have just not been firing, so big decision do you drop Tommy and bring in Connick or Weinman to play up front,

• Like 1

I will be well prepared for City’s match against Sunderland as I’m going to a pantomime in the morning. At the second panto at Ashton Gate in the afternoon I will be ready with shouts of “he’s behind you” and “oh no he isn’t” etc 

• Haha 3
39 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Are any of our injured players back?

As much as I like Bell, think he needs to start on the bench as have been poor recently, so either Memheti gets a start as thought he looked more up for it when he came on, or another option in the front line?

TGH needs to start with probable Williams dropping back out, but coming on to freshen up 2nd half.

Up front is difficult as we have just not been firing, so big decision do you drop Tommy and bring in Connick or Weinman to play up front,

Weimann at CF....

40 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I would think not but would be nice to be updated- no Press Conference from Manning yet afaik. 

That in itself seems pretty odd. I’m prepared to be wrong but I thought pretty much every Saturday game we had a Thursday presser, or at least a Thursday Dave Barton throwing buffet deliveries. As we played Tuesday it isn’t even a case of a quick turnaround 

Anyone know when we didn’t last have one of the above pre a Saturday game, because it’s odd and gives the impression of battening down the hatches/avoiding scrutiny in view of the pressure currently (but if they’re spending time working on something that gets us 3 points Saturday I have no objections!)

Edit - now online, just a tardy media team it appears. I’d still not object to them not doing one and taking extra time on the training pitch though!

Edited by Silvio Dante
13 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

He is pretty dull to listen to, although we were a little spoilt with Nige. However, he does actually (when given good questions) give a lot of info - much more than I thought he would when he arrived. The 2nd guy asking questions (not sure who that was?) actually pushed on a few things we have discussed on here and LM was less guarded than I imagined him to be. 

17 minutes ago, CHAZ MICHAELS said:

Favourite quote: “Data’s data but if you look at the shots across the game their xG was 0.48 lower than it normally is. I know people are gonna say you lost the game and conceded two”

(Tbf it’s actually his best conference yet helped by some decent questions about why we went long on Tuesday, what’s driven the odd subs etc)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Favourite quote: “Data’s data but if you look at the shots across the game their xG was 0.48 lower than it normally is. I know people are gonna say you lost the game and conceded two”

(Tbf it’s actually his best conference yet helped by some decent questions about why we went long on Tuesday, what’s driven the odd subs etc)

I agree but the bar was set pretty low to be honest!

Re Max - “going long was an option, but there were two or three other options”

He then talks about putting it in behind them as an option too.

Imho it looks like we didn’t use those other options, and we didn’t go in behind them either, it was “at” Tommy, rather than turning Carter and Wharton round.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

**** me, saying he took sykes and knight off purely because of opinion & no running stat/precautionary stuff, and all his subs are based on opinion and nothing else, makes me even more baffled and confused at the ones he’s made in the games so far

I’m not sure that was true. What I noticed from that conference was a noticeable attempt to appear more “natural” and although mentioning data several times almost trying to downplay it as a decisioning aid. I think he’s aware of how he’s viewed and how it may be a factor that makes things more difficult for him that he may be able to change.

So I reckon he did use data but didn’t want to state it as a major factor!

Slightly paraphrased but

"Results we feel we deserved"

"So much positives to come from it"

"If you look at the games and how weve progressed the opportunities and control"

"Data shows us the direction we're heading in"

"If you continue to create the chances that we have then we'll win games"

"We've sustained a level of performance for a period of games so I'm sure it will come"

I've just not seen what he has seen. 

I don't feel we deserved anything more than we've got. Maybe a point against Norwich. 

I'm not sure of any positives and if there are some then they are countered out by the negatives. Again I'm not sure we have progressed. Regressed certainly. 

As for control, meh, Huddersfield and Norwich for example were happy to allow us to 'control' the game. So I'm not sure how that's a positive. When Blackburn didn't allow us to control the game, we struggled and went long. 

As for opportunities, again I'm not seeing it. Maybe Messi would score thoe opportunities but they've not been clear cut opportunities so not sure how that's being framed as a positive either. So im not sure how we're going to win games with those half chances. 

The only level of performance we have sustained is by playing boring football. 

He spoke about how the players need a win to validate that were doing the right stuff.

Got the feeling he was having a dig at the previous management when he said "if everything's just about the Saturday (the win) you're getting a bit of an emotional roller coaster which makes it hard to go back to back which has been an issue"

Got the feeling he was blaming the players for not following the plan rather than the plan being wrong. Very much something LJ used to do.

Every time I watch him it feels as if Bristol City didn't exist before he came in.

He keeps saying how terrific things are but I'm just not seeing it. Nothing but a chancer this guy.

He even went and mentioned XG, thats done it for me 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2