IGNORED

Sunderland at home match thread

3 hours ago, mason said:

Got that prog but cant remember much about the game or most games back then, even though I hardly missed one......was 53yrs back in my defence

Certain games stand out for all of us, and despite being so long ago (I was 14) it was one of those games which gave me such a buzz, I left the ground walking on air and became addicted to everything that goes with supporting a club like City, we go through so many lows but when the highs come they seem to mean so much more, it makes me laugh when commentators on Sky etc say it's the first trophy Man City, Chelsea etc have won for 10 years, yes I think try supporting a club like us.

Edited by pillred
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Surely more time in press conferences is less time to “mentally overload” the players?  (or whatever his phrase was). 😂

I found that comment concerning - does it mean Manning actually is AI boy???

Emotionless process - but the process is God.....

If he's aware (there's joke here somewhere) then bloody stop doing it???

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It wouldnt surprise me entirely if we get back to basics a bit and dig out a hard fought point, but unsure on the win.

I would not be shocked by a draw either but wonder what you mean by back to basics?

We have minimal options, aside arguably from up top & TGH for Williams aside, the only real conundrum is who plays out of Weimann, Bell or Mehmeti.

• Like 3
Just now, GrahamC said:

I would not be shocked by a draw either but wonder what you mean by back to basics?

We have minimal options, aside arguably from up top & TGH for Williams aside, the only real conundrum is who plays out of Weimann, Bell or Mehmeti.

Manning will continue to want his players to play his way won’t he.  There is no “other way” for him.  He will want his players to execute better though.  The only real difference under him is that we are more patient, prepared to go back, go out the other side, repeat until a better chance comes.  That’s the theory.  Under Nige we tended to try to force the chance.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Manning will continue to want his players to play his way won’t he.  There is no “other way” for him.  He will want his players to execute better though.  The only real difference under him is that we are more patient, prepared to go back, go out the other side, repeat until a better chance comes.  That’s the theory.  Under Nige we tended to try to force the chance.

Yep & every game is of course an opportunity to learn more about what (sorry, broken record) is currently a very small pool to pick from.

After Millwall we don’t play another league game until January 13th, you would have to think by then we should have the majority of those out (excluding Benarous) back & potentially a couple in.

5 league games before then (West Ham is a free hit) which is enough time to decide what he needs in addition to those presumably returning.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Interesting, watching the game on Tuesday, there was only one team playing possession football from the back and it was Blackburn!

There keeper was excellent at it. Easily found a player in space. He only lumped it twice, one to come out and intercept a through ball and the other was about the last kick of the game. Both understandable.

They also had multiple players running channels and creating space and using the wings.

They kept possession the length of the pitch not just in their own half.

We have a lot to do to get to that point and possibly a replacement for Max..

3 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Interesting, watching the game on Tuesday, there was only one team playing possession football from the back and it was Blackburn!

There keeper was excellent at it. Easily found a player in space. He only lumped it twice, one to come out and intercept a through ball and the other was about the last kick of the game. Both understandable.

They also had multiple players running channels and creating space and using the wings.

They kept possession the length of the pitch not just in their own half.

We have a lot to do to get to that point and possibly a replacement for Max..

For a large portion of the first hour, you are spot on.  We failed to execute what he wants, that’s the bottom line.

We all know that if the opposition press is so good, sometimes you have to go over it.  FWIW I’m not convinced Blackburn’s press was that good, but hey-ho.

But “to go over it” means two good options - 1) medium length chips into free players beyond their forward pressing players or 2) longer / long passes  in behind their CBs, and one bad option - punting aimless balls central towards TC, but more importantly, right down Wharton and Carter’s throats.

That wasn’t the plan.

It’s not all Max’s fault, although at times I thought he was too eager to go long, but also his teammates making space to receive for him and each other.

Nor is it freeing LM of any responsibility either

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For a large portion of the first hour, you are spot on.  We failed to execute what he wants, that’s the bottom line.

We all know that if the opposition press is so good, sometimes you have to go over it.  FWIW I’m not convinced Blackburn’s press was that good, but hey-ho.

But “to go over it” means two good options - 1) medium length chips into free players beyond their forward pressing players or 2) longer / long passes  in behind their CBs, and one bad option - punting aimless balls central towards TC, but more importantly, right down Wharton and Carter’s throats.

That wasn’t the plan.

It’s not all Max’s fault, although at times I thought he was too eager to go long, but also his teammates making space to receive for him and each other.

Nor is it freeing LM of any responsibility either

I think you are right, their press wasn't that good which makes the decision making even worse.

What the hell are we going to do when we come up against a team that does press well?

• Like 1

Sunderland have never forgiven us for that night at Coventry when both teams played out an uncontested draw and sent them down to the second division.  One of the most memorable games I've ever been to.

On today though, another poor result is going to put Liam Manning under a lot of pressure, especially from most of the fans who did not want Nigel Pearson sacked.

• Robin 1
11 minutes ago, Offside said:

With the downward spiral we are on, I’m feeling pessimistic about this game. I’d love to see a convincing performance and 3 points, but we seem to be struggling to get the basics right. 

LM needs get back to basics for sure.

1. Play Sykes in his natural position on the RHS.

2. Play TGH instead of asking Williams to start 3 games in a week

3. Drop Bell, who has been bang out of form. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I suppose I just mean yeah our options are limited but while we have so many injuries, back to a 4-3-3, a clear 4-3-3, Sykes in his correct position, Tanner obviously RB, Pring LB

Plus don't take Knight and Sykes off without really good reason, yeah TGH probably deserves a start then pick the most reliable out of Bell, Mehmeti, Weimann on the left.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suppose I just mean yeah our options are limited but while we have so many injuries, back to a 4-3-3, a clear 4-3-3, Sykes in his correct position, Tanner obviously RB, Pring LB

Plus don't take Knight and Sykes off without really good reason, yeah TGH probably deserves a start then pick the most reliable out of Bell, Mehmeti, Weimann on the left.

Just for you:

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, petehinton said:

I have a really horrible feeling we could take a real beating today. 

I’d like to know why , not having a dig but tbf to city with or without Nige we are in most games and recently tend to miss chances that could put us ahead and set us up , lately it’s more a case of missing these chances and it costing us with us then fighting back to snatch a draw or other team holding on , not many teams put us to the sword ( god why did I just say that ) 

22 minutes ago, redkev said:

I’d like to know why , not having a dig but tbf to city with or without Nige we are in most games and recently tend to miss chances that could put us ahead and set us up , lately it’s more a case of missing these chances and it costing us with us then fighting back to snatch a draw or other team holding on , not many teams put us to the sword ( god why did I just say that ) 

Wow there is somebody else who has noticed thet City are playing some decent stuff but sadly are constantly missing chances which are being created far more than previously, every game the shots on goal are in double figures if we had taken just half of those chances Southampton Norwich and Blackburn would not have been losses. Things are not remotely as grim as some would like to suggest or  dare I say want them to be. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1