IGNORED

Front Foot Football

ExiledAjax

What is it?

It's a phrase I've seen and heard a lot recently, both on here and in other clubs' media.*

Some seem to use it as a synonym for "attacking" football or for direct football where players run at the opposition with the ball. Is that what it is?

But I've also read some coaching websites that use the term in relation to players receiving the ball with the foot closest to the passing player - literally the "front" foot - and wit one touch laying it off or passing it on. Is that it?

Then again there's a FIFA article talking about CBs defending on the front foot. Meaning defending the ball in front of you rather than goal side...which seems to be another thing entirely.

So, I am honestly asking: what the hell is meant by "front foot football?"

*as an aside, I'm not absolutely sure that the words have ever come out of Manning's mouth since he joined, but the phrase has been bandied around a lot by others.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

I would argue that it is high press, intensity. Or a key part of it anyway 

Getting into the opposition a bit but not necessarily old school excessively physical. Reasonable in possession but not excessively so, pressing hard when you lose it.

Taking the game to the opposition. At its best the crowd and the side should feed off each other.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What is it?

It's a phrase I've seen and heard a lot recently, both on here and in other clubs' media.*

Some see to use it as a synonym for "attacking" football or for direct football where players run at the opposition with the ball.

But I've also read some coaching websites that use the term in relation to players receiving the ball with the foot closest to the passing player - literally the "front" foot - and wit one touch laying it off or passing it on. Is that it?

Then again there's a FIFA article talking about CBs defending on the front foot. Meaning defending the ball in front of you rather than goal side...which seems to be another thing entirely.

*as an aside, I'm not absolutely sure that the words have ever come out of Manning's mouth since he joined, but the phrase has been bandied around a lot by others.

As you rightly point out it can mean different things but I think you have to revert to what it means to a layman.

The phrase “on the front foot” per the English Dictionary means “at an advantage, outclassing and outmanoeuvring one’s opponents”. So, per the dictionary, a slow, patient, passing approach could be “on the front foot” even when operating passively.

So, the dictionary is no help!

I think a layman would consider front foot football as being one word in the main “assertive” - ie probing with pace, putting another team under pressure, playing with intent while having more of the ball

You’ll never get a definitive answer agreed by all. But that I think is how most would consider the wide principle.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As you rightly point out it can mean different things but I think you have to revert to what it means to a layman.

The phrase “on the front foot” per the English Dictionary means “at an advantage, outclassing and outmanoeuvring one’s opponents”. So, per the dictionary, a slow, patient, passing approach could be “on the front foot” even when operating passively.

So, the dictionary is no help!

I think a layman would consider front foot football as being one word in the main “assertive” - ie probing with pace, putting another team under pressure, playing with intent while having more of the ball

You’ll never get a definitive answer agreed by all. But that I think is how most would consider the wide principle.

Yeh I feel like the layman term is some sort of combination of assertive, direct, or positive football that looks to gain territory when attacking, and press high and fast when defending.

Almost like it's the successor to the phrase "impose ourselves on the opposition"?

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yeh I feel like the layman term is some sort of combination of assertive, direct, or positive football that looks to gain territory when attacking, and press high and fast when defending.

Almost like it's the successor to the phrase "impose ourselves on the opposition"?

Pretty much. Again though that’s just my reading.

• Like 1

I think looking at all the different opinions in just the first few posts here it's clear there is no actual consensus! 😂 Might be a good question for the press to ask the club/LM - because I guess what is important is what they think it means. My guess is that they mean controlling the game and the ball more, dictating the game more rather than defending and then counter attacking. 

As a fan I want it to be this: 

41 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

For me it's everytime you've got the ball, you're looking to get forward and score. Sort of how Liverpool and Spurs play. 

And that is what I was hoping the club meant - but seeing how we have set up and played I'm pretty sure it's the possession and control thing. \

I would imagine if that's the case, we'll get spells where that is high-intensity attacks, but mostly passing and waiting for those opportunities rather than driving at the opposition and trying to force them. 

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

I've always thought it meant passing and playing the ball so that the receiver could take it without turning backwards or stopping.  Basically playing the pass in front of the receiver. 

Yeh this is basically what the coaching website I read said it was. But I think this is quite different to what the man in the street thinks it is, and I think the replies in this thread confirm that.

It's interesting that there may be a disconnect between what coaches and fans think it means.

59 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

What is it?

Some seem to use it as a synonym for "attacking" football or for direct football where players run at the opposition with the ball. Is that what it is?

Just a new word for attacking / high intensity football. Heavy metal football. That must make us Status Quo.

Edited by Super
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

it is whatever you want it to be that is the beauty of the phrase! I mean quite literally, ask any 100 fans what it means and you will  get maaany different answers, but all centred on the same thing! intensity, creating chances, and pushing the other team back. dictating the game the way you want it to be played, yet exciting to watch at the same time.

In a technical aspect...obviously it is one thing different! where the ball is positioned for a pass..which then leads to the ability to get forward.

However,
From a fan point of view, it is heavily linked to the phrase " put your best foot forward". to most it means passing football, but not for the sake of it. to most it means getting your winger 1 on 1  taking the opposition on, then deliver a quality cross.  Front football is what makes you want to go to the stadium in the first place. it is exciting. it is how you feel when your most exciting player gets in a pocket of space.
Front foot football, means looking to get the ball forward, preferable on the ground, but using space when it is there.
It can be both in possession, or on the counter. IT is normally with pressing, but does not have to be.

and more important than anything! unless your leading near the end of a game!!!, front foot football means when presented between turning back safe option and passing back, or pressing forward with the ball looking to make something happen. pressing forward is always preferable.

It is a buzz word, a popular one at the moment. as though clubs are trying to manipulate fans, without quite understanding what it means tot them. As while you might not be able to fully describe front foot football (i am never going to write it again) almost every fan in the world can tell you when IT IS ANYTHING BUT.

For me it's playing your own style and letting that dictate the game rather than being reactive to how your opponent is set up and chooses to play. 

Essentially being on the front foot by having a distinct style which in our case is clearly possession based.

Likely not what it actually means but as others have stated its such a nothing statement that its so open to interpretation

35 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's definitely a buzz word used by coaches. 

A good question to Manning by the media, would be...' what do you actually mean by front foot football?..explain the widely used phrase in how you see it being implemented here'. 

I see it one way...others could see it another. 

The problem with that is the fans could then make a judgement 😂😂😂

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed, I would say an aggressive press is part of playing on the front foot. Lose the ball, get it back within 3 seconds or whatever Liverpool we’re doing a couple of years ago.

Pep at Barcelona also had a certain rule, try and regain possession within x seconds or fall back into shape. Intensity for a time but not a long time.

Varied it a little at Man City.

https://www.thecoachdiary.com/barcelonas-seven-secrets-to-success-by-simon-kuper/

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Interesting lots of different opinions of what the style is supposed to be, yet I have read loads of comments we don't have the players to play it, so if we don't really know what it means, how can we be so sure we don't have the players.

If we don't have the players, then which ones don't fit and why?