IGNORED

It’s poaching season - Stoke appoint Schumacher

BCFCGav

I would assume a big pay rise and a much bigger club.  Stoke fans not happy either.  Good move for him as even if he gets sacked with a pay off he wouldn’t have done his reputation too much damage. If he transforms them then it’s a great move. Stoke fans certainly believe their squad is better than the results. Good luck to him 

17 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I would assume a big pay rise and a much bigger club.  Stoke fans not happy either.  Good move for him as even if he gets sacked with a pay off he wouldn’t have done his reputation too much damage. If he transforms them then it’s a great move. Stoke fans certainly believe their squad is better than the results. Good luck to him 

Why good luck to him.

Shouldn't want any of our opponents who are potential rivals for a medium term play-off tilt to do well..he does well, Stoke do well...and their fans are fairly objectionable, elements of the club are too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Why good luck to him.

Shouldn't want any of our opponents who are potential rivals for a medium term play-off tilt to do well..he does well, Stoke do well...and their fans are fairly objectionable, elements of the club are too.

Seems like a really good guy.  Ambitious young English manager working his way up the ladder.  Hope he does well for himself.  I understand you and others might disagree. When I was younger I’d have thought the same as you but too old and calm now to let that sort of thing bother me!

• Like 1

Can anyone explain to me why Stoke are thought of as a big Championship club? They aren't on the level of WBA, Norwich, Boro let alone the likes of Leeds, Sunderland etc

Ultimately they are a club like us and let's say Cardiff, with a similar size of fanbase despite years to grow it in the Prem, rich owners but don't we all and from a totally nondescript place.

I wouldn't have expected us to be able to poach Schumacher and yet Stoke have. Seems strange to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seems like a really good guy.  Ambitious young English manager working his way up the ladder.  Hope he does well for himself.  I understand you and others might disagree. When I was younger I’d have thought the same as you but too old and calm now to let that sort of thing bother me!

That's fair. Yes nice to see more young English managers getting their chance. Plymouth at home especially under him played quite an entertaining brand of football.

Yes we all mellow a bit, I get that. I'm calmer than a decade ago, antics less wacky etc.

5 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Can anyone explain to me why Stoke are thought of as a big Championship club? They aren't on the level of WBA, Norwich, Boro let alone the likes of Leeds, Sunderland etc

Ultimately they are a club like us and let's say Cardiff, with a similar size of fanbase despite years to grow it in the Prem, rich owners but don't we all and from a totally nondescript place.

I wouldn't have expected us to be able to poach Schumacher and yet Stoke have. Seems strange to me.

I think it’s because they’ve spent 11 of the last 16 years in the premier league including some European football.  We’ve spent 0 years in the top flight in over 40 years 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

They have surely had a lot more years in the top 2 divisions than us but I know what you mean.

We could be a step up for Schumacher, had we made a play. It is perhaps because a prospective manager knows they will be backed up to or close to financial limits. Here it isn't so clearcut these days.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

As above. Plymouth fans currently ‘Oxfording’ - though they’re calling Schumacher a ‘rat’, where I believe our Liam was a ‘snake’.

Schumacer is somebody i wish we went for to be honest. Can see him being be a good appointment for Stoke.

As for Plymouth fans unfortunately he was always going to go as soon as a bigger club came calling IMO. No disrespect to them but they are punching above their weight being at this level.

Edited by Bris Red

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

I think it’s because they’ve spent 11 of the last 16 years in the premier league including some European football.  We’ve spent 0 years in the top flight in over 40 years 

Does the past equate to future possibilities? We are hamstrung by the Bristol City inertia but side by side in the midtable they have nothing we don't have

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Does the past equate to future possibilities? We are hamstrung by the Bristol City inertia but side by side in the midtable they have nothing we don't have

You asked why they are seen as bigger.  I think it’s pretty obvious they are bigger than us.  They have the Premier League pedigree and more money.  They will be back there before we get there.  

• Like 3

They are somewhat pumped up by related sponsorship by Bet365, I wonder about a Fair Value test there. Albeit they do sponsor a lot, naming rights could boost ours.

Their income is about the same as us give or take a bit.

The loopholes they used are not repeatable, hope they go down. Arrogant and chippy yet ignorant fans too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

Stoke is a graveyard for managers of late, Schumacher was building something nicely at Plymouth as was Jones at Luton...I expect moving back up north was a contributory factor though...

There’s moving back up north then there’s moving to Stoke two very different things 

Edited by redkev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

More seasons in top flight (62) than any of Leeds, Boro or Norwich including 10 consecutive in premier league with cup final appearance and European campaigns during same period. Also founder members of the Football League and Auto Windscreen Shield Winners 2002. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, hollydog said:

More seasons in top flight (62) than any of Leeds, Boro or Norwich including 10 consecutive in premier league with cup final appearance and European campaigns during same period. Also founder members of the Football League and Auto Windscreen Shield Winners 2002. 

But like most pokey clubs they have been relegated out of the football league previously.

• Haha 1

I spend quite a lot of time in the stoke area, my other half is up there,, there really isnt an explanation of why they should have had so much time in the top league,,, obviously the coates family has a lot to do with it over recent times,, but its not a wealthy city, the city has 2 clubs, much like bristol, so support is split, the stadium is 20 odd years old now and isnt brilliant, but they are correctly regarded as a next level up club than us… perhaps it is the hostile environment, and aggressive will to win that we just dont have that makes the difference?

1 hour ago, hollydog said:

Going to have to be pedantic and say it was the Auto Windscreens Shield 2000!

I only know that because I have our shirt from it...

• Like 1