IGNORED

Why Are We Constantly Celebrating Average & Our Failed Past?

Tim Monaghan

I'm a bit fed up with everything Bristol City right now. It all just feels a bit backward, you know? Why are we so stuck in the past as a club and as fans, especially when we've not really achieved much? Check out the first page of the forum, and you'll see what I mean:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Nigel Pearson, Bit of an Artist
  • Making a fuss about winning the Carabao Cup 6 years ago (No mention of that Liverpool win we keep harping on about)
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

And don't get me started on our social media team—constantly wishing old players happy birthday and every new shirt being some kind of "throwback." It's like we're stuck in a time loop or something.

Why can't we, as a club and a fanbase, be a bit more with the times? We seem to love the same old stuff, especially this weird obsession with Nigel Pearson. The guy was just so average, I don't get where all the love comes from. It's just basic and, well, a bit rubbish. We're basically cheering on failure and being okay with being average.

Why can't we, as a club and fanbase, get with the times a bit more? We're stuck on the same old things, especially this weird love for Nigel Pearson. The bloke was just so average; I'm scratching my head wondering why everyone's so into him apart from the fact he was a bit edgy. It's just basic and, well, a bit tinpot. We're basically cheering on failure and settling for being just average.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

P.s Don't get me started with the love for Massengo just because he had big hair. Never has such a below average player been so lorded.  

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 6
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 3
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 6

3 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I'm a bit fed up with everything Bristol City right now. It all just feels a bit backward, you know? Why are we so stuck in the past as a club and as fans, especially when we've not really achieved much? Check out the first page of the forum, and you'll see what I mean:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Making a fuss about winning the Carabao Cup 6 years ago (No mention of that Liverpool win we keep harping on about)
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

And don't get me started on our social media team—constantly wishing old players happy birthday and every new shirt being some kind of "throwback." It's like we're stuck in a time loop or something.

Why can't we, as a club and a fanbase, be a bit more with the times? We seem to love the same old stuff, especially this weird obsession with Nigel Pearson. The guy was just so average, I don't get where all the love comes from. It's just basic and, well, a bit rubbish. We're basically cheering on failure and being okay with being average.

Why can't we, as a club and fanbase, get with the times a bit more? We're stuck on the same old things, especially this weird love for Nigel Pearson. The bloke was just so average; I'm scratching my head wondering why everyone's so into him apart from the fact he was a bit edgy. It's just basic and, well, a bit tinpot. We're basically cheering on failure and settling for being just average.

P.s Don't get me started with the love for Massengo just because he had big hair. Never has such a below average player been so lorded.  

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Or in more simple terms 

You are , ( besides being a fierce defender of anything Lansdown ) , and always have been,  Anti Nigel Pearson and get the hump with anyone who did / does rate him , as well as having a bit of a jealousy spot about one popular poster.......

Read your post again .... then tell us who has an obsession with our ex manager ...... a very negative obsession......

With the greatest of respect, that is all nonsense. 

"besides being a fierce defender of anything Lansdown" - Rubbish, I have been extremely critical of the Lansdowns. A simple looks at my posting history would show that. 
"Anti Nigel Pearson" - Again, wrong. I was upset with the sacking of Pearson, again, have a check, but, what the lording of him is silly. He's gone, get over it. 

" jealousy spot about one popular poster" - Are we talking about Davfevs? Literally couldn't care less about him, I actually think he's a decent guy full of statistical knowledge, again see a recent post. 

So, you've basically got everything wrong. Pretty impressive. 

28 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

I kind of get what you're saying, but at the end of the day, Bristol City is a small club in a provincial backwater.......what do we actually have to shout about?

Apart from the fact it's OUR club and we love it! (mostly)

• Like 2

• Admin
30 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

I'm intrigued what any sports fan can do apart from looking back at previous glories?

Apart from maybe Villa, Leicester and Ipswich their aren't many clubs that can look forward for a really exciting 2024

The one thing I do agree is that I find it odd celebrating ex players birthdays... current one's is just about fair enough....

You will find clubs of all levels celebrating their hey days etc

2 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Worryingly that is actually never further from the truth than now!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Maybe give it a go, its a forum after all, you know, for debate, not that you could tell reading it. We're clearly here for Nigel Pearsons artwork. 

Well okay let's see.

In my view without Gould and Pearson and the work that they did every chance we would have gone down. Plus FFP sanctions a distinct possibility. Disaster averted.

Gould himself was a better communicator, better CEO and generally more capable than what we have had before or since- we never saw him on an even keel after the ECB came in for him, for him and NP for the most part it was firefighting.

Structure is a mess now. Tinnion is overpromoted  and under qualified IMO for his current position.

Back to NP- Youth blooded, mentality instilled after morale was on the floor and the squad was bloated. Wage Bill down markedly, League position improved..was Club before Self in some respects, very rare for a manager look at people like Parker.

Was NP backed? Not properly. I don't just mean financially either but when we clearly were horribly hit by injuries yet players were returning and fixture list was easing he was sacked!!

2 or 3 more signings in key positions woukd have done us the world of good post Scott.

Liverpool and Carabao Cup. Erm not sure what all that about.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

I give you Brian Tinnion & Marlon Pack

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'm intrigued what any sports fan can do apart from looking back at previous glories?

Apart from maybe Villa, Leicester and Ipswich their aren't many clubs that can look forward for a really exciting 2024

The one thing I do agree is that I find it odd celebrating ex players birthdays... current one's is just about fair enough....

You will find clubs of all levels celebrating their hey days etc

Worryingly that is actually never further from the truth than now!

"I'm intrigued what any sports fan can do apart from looking back at previous glories?" - I do agree with this, but a win against Liverpool and Manchester United, well. But that's kind of my point, we seemed to be happy with, meh. It was a great night, but we don't want to seem to push, and yeah, the Lansdowns are part of that problem, but they are trying and clearly JL saw what I did with Pearson. Absolutely love the guy but a change was needed. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In my view without Gould and Pearson and the work that they did every chance we would have gone down. Plus FFP sanctions a distinct possibility. Disaster averted.

Completely agree.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

@Ghost Rider is our Pol Pot and with him we celebrate Bristol City's Year Zero where we will only ever look forward and never back.

No more Freight Rover Trophy reminiscing please, we are into a new era.

MV5BYzVhMGY2YjItODQ5Yi00ODkyLWFiNmQtZGFk

sddefault.jpg?v=5db67cf5

I'm sorry that you didn't understand the post and took it literally. But congratulations on the funnies, they're good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Maybe give it a go, its a forum after all, you know, for debate, not that you could tell reading it. We're clearly here for Nigel Pearsons artwork. 

Debate ? ? ?

Basically you’ve posted,  in general terms , criticising the forum , current threads , and the fanbase  for their mentality......

With your significant contribution .........suggesting we all ‘get with the times’

What does this actually mean ?

When something is actually happening there are plenty of posts on the current and the future if that’s what you crave 

• Like 1

I'll ignore the Pearson stuff as it's been done to death on here.

I agree that we're slightly guilty of "celebrating" a failed past though. I cringe every time I see that poster under the South Stand detailing our victory over Liverpool in 1994. "We beat Liverpool 1-0 in a cup game 30 years ago" really is the type of boast you'd expect from a League 2 side.

Unfortunately, it's an illustration of the extent to which we've underperformed historically. Compared to the vast majority of Championship clubs, we simply don't have anything to boast about.

Even the Man United game, as good as it was, feels bittersweet when you reflect on how we've fallen away since, and how others have cruised past us into the Premier League in that time.

I do think there's an argument to say that the club (& fanbase) would benefit from a bit of a shift in mindset - we should be conscious of the fact that our history is disappointing and we should expect more.

6 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I kind of get what you're saying, but at the end of the day, Bristol City is a small club in a provincial backwater.......what do we actually have to shout about?

Perhaps a good illustration of what I mean.

How many fans of other Championship clubs based in big cities with 20k+ attendances would happily refer to their team as a "small club" or their city as a "provincial backwater"?

Compared to fans of other clubs, we often seem strangely self-deprecating about our club's size and potential.

(Sorry to pick on your post for this one, ooRya!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well okay let's see.

Gould himself was a better communicator, better CEO and generally more capable than what we have had before or since- we never saw him on an even keel after the ECB came in for him, for him and NP for the most part it was firefighting.

Structure is a mess now. Tinnion is overpromoted  and under qualified IMO for his current position.

Back to NP- Youth blooded, mentality instilled after morale was on the floor and the squad was bloated. Wage Bill down markedly, League position improved..was Club before Self in some respects, very rare for a manager look at people like Parker.

Was NP backed? Not properly. I don't just mean financially either but when we clearly were horribly hit by injuries yet players were returning and fixture list was easing he was sacked!!

2 or 3 more signings in key positions woukd have done us the world of good post Scott.

Liverpool and Carabao Cup. Erm not sure what all that about.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but I actually liked Pearson, he did a job, but it was his time to go IMO.  What I don't get is this over lording of him. I just don't get it. He didn't do some sort of miracle job, again, IMO. 

As for Tinnion, we won't know until he has been given some time, not that we want to give him that time, which is unfair. How on earth do we know what he is or isn't capable of? We don't don't see him at work everyday. 

The issue again is that this is all if, buts and maybes. 

2 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I'll ignore the Pearson stuff as it's been done to death on here.

I agree that we're slightly guilty of "celebrating" a failed past though. I cringe every time I see that poster under the South Stand detailing our victory over Liverpool in 1994. "We beat Liverpool 1-0 in a cup game 30 years ago" really is the type of boast you'd expect from a League 2 side.

Unfortunately, it's an illustration of the extent to which we've underperformed historically. Compared to the vast majority of Championship clubs, we simply don't have anything to boast about.

Even the Man United game, as good as it was, feels bittersweet when you reflect on how we've fallen away since, and how others have cruised past us into the Premier League in that time.

I do think there's an argument to say that the club (& fanbase) would benefit from a bit of a shift in mindset - we should be conscious of the fact that our history is disappointing and we should expect more.

How many fans of other Championship clubs based in big cities with 20k+ attendances would happily refer to their team as a "small club" or their city as a "provincial backwater"?

Compared to fans of other clubs, we often seem strangely self-deprecating about our club's size and potential.

This is what I'm trying to say, but you've put it in a more eloquent way than I could ever put it. Thank you. 

58 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

More ‘front foot ‘ you mean to say ? 

34 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What a strange post by Ghost Rider, I don't know where to begin with it.

And why does Mr P edit 99% of his posts?

Livid...

And use of acronym R.I.P.

IF we need to remember a person's passing at least have the time to say something meaningful.

Troll, a insult levelled at someone who doesn't agree with your ridiculous views.

XMAS ...it's Christmas.

Football at Christmas to make us even more miserable than we have ever been up to then... as in last ******* XM ...err Christmas.

Happy Holidays.🎅 

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Absolutely , agreed

5 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

A ‘shift in mindset’ which means what , exactly SR  ?

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

Don't worry the change of manager was made to (quote) "Give us a better chance of promotion THIS season."

You won't have long to wait.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2

We're a small club that plays in a big City. Our history is very very modest, at best. 

We should expect better. Unfortunately, we've missed the boat on appointing the right Manager's, many nearly moments and an ownership that isn't ruthless enough to see us get to the top.

Edited by 2015
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

Ha ha...no problem!

But looking at our history to date, how can we describe ourselves as anything other than a small club?

"Potential", now that's a totally different story..................

28 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

"I'm intrigued what any sports fan can do apart from looking back at previous glories?" - I do agree with this, but a win against Liverpool and Manchester United, well. But that's kind of my point, we seemed to be happy with, meh. It was a great night, but we don't want to seem to push, and yeah, the Lansdowns are part of that problem, but they are trying and clearly JL saw what I did with Pearson. Absolutely love the guy but a change was needed. 

Personally I celebrate the trophy wins and I celebrate the fact that our club exists.

2014/15 we won two trophies. Including a league title. For me that's a bigger achievement than the Liverpool and Man Utd Cup wins. People will say they are tinpot trophies - to that I say they are the competitions that we qualified for that season, and we won them. It should be celebrated.

I also, and I know not everyone will agree with this, I don't think we have to be in the premier league to be considered "successful". I don't think winning, and climbing the pyramid, are the be all and end all of a football club. Is it the aim? Maybe yes. Is it the sole measure of achievement? Not for me.

But I absolutely agree with you that wishing happy birthday to active ex-players is a bit unnecessary.

• Like 4