IGNORED

Why Are We Constantly Celebrating Average & Our Failed Past?

Tim Monaghan

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I love your bit in bold, the sureness from you that it was the right decision, followed by your uncertainty of its success immediately after.

No it means I agree with Lansdown and Tinnion, that in order to progress, Pearson had to go. I'm not sorry he went. I did think we would get until the end of the season, but I never saw him as the bloke to take us forwards. So he had taken us as far as he could, and therefore it was right to relieve him of his duties. Whether the man they have appointed is the right man to do that is a completely different question. 

Edited by robinforlife2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

No it means I agree with Lansdown and Tinnion, that in order to progress, Pearson had to go. I'm not sorry he went. I did think we would get until the end of the season, but I never saw him as the bloke to take us forwards. So he had taken us as far as he could, and therefore it was right to relieve him of his duties. Whether the man they have appointed is the right man to do that is a completely different question. 

Out of interest, why did you think that?

NP has not had an even keel or level playing field for any meaningful length of time. He has already proven that be could deliver better results than he inherited, with less money, depth and experience and underpinned by better underlying numbers.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2023 at 11:41, Ghost Rider said:

I'm a bit fed up with everything Bristol City right now. It all just feels a bit backward, you know? Why are we so stuck in the past as a club and as fans

You should go to to the City Ground and see the worship of things which happened 50 years ago - speaking as someone with Forest fans as close friends!

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

NP has not had an even keel or level playing field for any meaningful length of time. He has already proven that be could deliver better results than he inherited, with less money, depth and experience and underpinned by better underlying numbers.

22/23 season we were shocking up to Xmas. The West Brom game at home on Boxing Day, we were rudderless. He should have been sacked then. We wasted a year of any chance of real progress, and in that year he signed a couple of duds in Cornick, and Roberts. 

I also don't like how he showed disrespect to the owners and basically tried to use the fans as a fuel to a new contract. It comes across as Narcissism to me. People go on about what he inherited. The team may have not been playing well for Holden, but we finished lower under Pearson than we were in with Holden and that side had far more quality than the side now. yes it was on a wage we couldn't afford, but Pearson hoodwinked the fans into how he talked and operated and tried to be in a position where he could force a new contract and the day he tried to call out the owners, he shot himself in the foot. 

I get many fans love him, and thought he would come good, and could get us somewhere, and many liked that he was relatable and they saw him as one of the lads,  but I think he was clever, quite manipulating and done a good job of winning people over despite offering the same shower of shy-te on the pitch every week. 

No tears shed here, I'm glad he was sacked. 10 months later than he should have been. 

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

21 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

22/23 season we were shocking up to Xmas. The West Brom game at home on Boxing Day, we were rudderless. He should have been sacked then. We wasted a year of any chance of real progress, and in that year he signed a couple of duds in Cornick, and Roberts. 

I also don't like how he showed disrespect to the owners and basically tried to use the fans as a fuel to a new contract. It comes across as Narcissism to me. People go on about what he inherited. The team may have not been playing well for Holden, but we finished lower under Pearson than we were in with Holden and that side had far more quality than the side now. yes it was on a wage we couldn't afford, but Pearson hoodwinked the fans into how he talked and operated and tried to be in a position where he could force a new contract and the day he tried to call out the owners, he shot himself in the foot. 

I get many fans love him, and thought he would come good, and could get us somewhere, and many liked that he was relatable and they saw him as one of the lads,  but I think he was clever, quite manipulating and done a good job of winning people over despite offering the same shower of shy-te on the pitch every week. 

No tears shed here, I'm glad he was sacked. 10 months later than he should have been. 

Point 1 - the players downed tools, players like Diedhiou knew he was off abroad, other players knew we could t afford to offer them contracts.  To compare the league position when Holden went to the end of the season is one way of looking at it I guess!!

Holden’s side was in freefall (I quite liked Holden btw).  Nige who was trialling the kids, testing players like Bakinson’s attitude once we were safe is certainly another way of looking at it in a far more rounded way! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Scott, Britton, S.Pearson, Conway, Janneh debuts, Towler some games, Sat nice and comfy in 13th place, 13 points clear of relegation, 13 points off playoffs after the win at Brum, the time to start planning for the summer began.  Results weren’t important.  Don’t buy “another month and we could’ve gone down” stuff.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I really am at a loss to get this love of Nigel, any other club would have fired him last Christmas, I get his surly approach in that not every manager has to be of a LJ type but let's face it we were going nowhere fast and we needed a boost albeit in the short term we may not see it. 

In Manning we have a new breed of English  coach, with no baggage and someone by his own admission lives and breathes the game. I fully get why he was chosen, although the real circumstances behind the sacking may not ever be known, not until Nigel's book perhaps. 

However, what I find a little disappointing is that all the good staff around the club went too, but that is how it works apparently but I do find it a little odd.

Someone said on here we are a small club in a big City, if that is what prevails with many supporters then our future is pretty much the same as our past. We are not a small club, and when we get in the Prem no one with any football brain should be surprised, not in a Luton way or a Bradford, Swindon or any other whipping boys that came and went and were instantly forgotten.  

Perhaps all the outpouring of grief in his sacking lends itself to the cosy little club syndrome with many that were happy with mediocrity, of course we have top six and above ambitions rather than chastise that comment we should perhaps at least embrace it as a rallying call, because the only way we will succeed is as a TEAM. Both as supporters and as a Club.

So come on get behind Manning and the players,  ditch the Bristol  cynicism and sprinkle of bit of Forest and Newcastle belief and who knows?  

5 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

I really am at a loss to get this love of Nigel, any other club would have fired him last Christmas, I get his surly approach in that not every manager has to be of a LJ type but let's face it we were going nowhere fast and we needed a boost albeit in the short term we may not see it. 

In Manning we have a new breed of English  coach, with no baggage and someone by his own admission lives and breathes the game. I fully get why he was chosen, although the real circumstances behind the sacking may not ever be known, not until Nigel's book perhaps. 

However, what I find a little disappointing is that all the good staff around the club went too, but that is how it works apparently but I do find it a little odd.

Someone said on here we are a small club in a big City, if that is what prevails with many supporters then our future is pretty much the same as our past. We are not a small club, and when we get in the Prem no one with any football brain should be surprised, not in a Luton way or a Bradford, Swindon or any other whipping boys that came and went and were instantly forgotten.  

Perhaps all the outpouring of grief in his sacking lends itself to the cosy little club syndrome with many that were happy with mediocrity, of course we have top six and above ambitions rather than chastise that comment we should perhaps at least embrace it as a rallying call, because the only way we will succeed is as a TEAM. Both as supporters and as a Club.

So come on get behind Manning and the players,  ditch the Bristol  cynicism and sprinkle of bit of Forest and Newcastle belief and who knows?  

Each to their own. Luton especially getting up is quite the story but that aside..

NP is a manager who had been there and done it. He had built a side, a promotion side- kept them up with a huge rally and some of them well one or two, were from his first successful Leicester side in 2008-09 in League One. See Andy King.

Oh and most of the side who won the PL that year were linked to or looked into by him in some way.

He also came into a Watford side who were underperforming and rallied them to the verge of safety..getting the sack for his reward.

Better chance of getting something from the last 2 with him tbh.

It's one thing to have ambition! A bit of realism is also needed- Stoke and their recent proclamations for Potter, possibly Nuno and in some of their fans case Hassenhuttl a good example. They got Steven Schumacher. Who isn't a bad appointment but isn't the calibre or proven level of the 3 above.

Sunderland got Beale..Still and McKenna were just 2 of the linked, possibly hoped for.

The other issue is that NP didn't have an even keel to work from. The net wage bill this season I suspect is down somewhere between 1/3 and 40% from its peak, it was too high as was the squad cost but we have swung too far the other way.

What is it, £35m in fees taken in vs how much spent about 1/3 at most? That is before we factor in the net swing in wages offsetting some of the fees spent.

If Manning had to continue to work under the constraints of NP would we get any better, would we in fact go backwards.

We all need to get behind Manning and the side sure but those above seem useless I'm afraid, can't say I have any particular faith in Jon Lansdown, Tinnion etc.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous