IGNORED

Why Are We Constantly Celebrating Average & Our Failed Past?

Tim Monaghan

1 hour ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Liverpool and Man U games were great but having posters around the ground celebrating  these games is tinpot.  

Use to make me cringe seeing the Bristol city v Liverpool billboard and the korey smith v united one . Nothing wrong with looking back at fond memories but even league two clubs don’t have things like that up in the concourse.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Use to make me cringe seeing the Bristol city v Liverpool billboard and the korey smith v united one . Nothing wrong with looking back at fond memories but even league two clubs don’t have things like that up in the concourse.

Unfortunately it is a football club that has lost its identity. The Bristol Sport philosophy has a lot to do with this. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

Unfortunately it is a football club that has lost its identity. The Bristol Sport philosophy has a lot to do with this. 

What annoys me along those lines although I suppose it's to be expected and at least we don't have goal music anymore, is the brief they give Downsy as well as his general style, the excessive music beforehand, signs encouraging no swearing etc.

It just feels sanitised to me- Partly Bristol Sport, partly modern football my brother came to his first in years Saturday and he was surprised at the somewhat sanitised and watered down nature.

• Like 1

An interesting debate if suffused with a rather argumentative attitude from the OP despite his/her willingness to admit they might be prepared to listen to other points of view. 
As football fans we are all riddled with emotion. We don’t (apart from the glory hunters) choose to support our club. It’s kind of in the DNA and thus all logic goes out of the window. 
Bragging rights is the legacy of past glory and thus important to mentality. Just listen to Chelsea singing ‘Champions of Europe, you’ll never be that’ to teams that are temporarily above them in the league. They may have been that, but that doesn’t mean they’re not currently hurting. 
In fact at any one time, 80-90 % of clubs are probably hurting. It’s the lot of the football supporter. Only on Monday I was listening to how great West Ham are playing at the moment. Look what happened to them tonight!!

I often hear that it’s the hope that kills you. Well at the moment, as City fans, it’s the lack of hope that kills us. It’s been that hope that has kept most of us going. Sleeping giants etc. We’ll get there soon etc. We’re a big city and so on. We can’t choose our past but we can be proud of some of it and hope that better will come. 
I’m no happy clapper but I do believe in the maxim ‘If you can’t say anything nice, say nothing’. So does all this negativity and wingeing at other fans help? Of course it doesn’t. 
 I don’t disagree with some of the OP’s points but the very fact that s/he chose to open the debate, means everyone is at each others’ throats and it exacerbates an already toxic atmosphere. 
uredzzzz

Edited by stortfordred
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

@Ghost Rider It's the same reason that I put my kids pictures up on the fridge when they were little, rather than chuck them in the bin because they didn't produce a masterpiece.   You celebrate and cherish what you have.   

(I do get some of what you mean though).  

You mean like this?

IMG_0788.jpeg.79a4509fc5e236ad9c6a4a0f61f33373.jpeg

my daughter’s interpretation of jingle bells (aged 3 or 4)!!!

• Like 2

I agree with a lot that Ghost Rider has put to be honest.

I personally find it rather pathetic the amount of Nige threads ranging from a leaving card to how fans want to chant for him every week etc. Nigel Pearson came in to do a job. What was done off the field, was done very well. However, this was not JUST because of him. It was because of many people employed to work towards that remit. Whoever was manager, would have had to work within that remit. On the pitch however, we were poor. We were under achieving and we weren't going anywhere. It was time for a change for one the pitch reasons. People seem to praise Nige for bringing down the wage bill, steadying ship etc. However, do you really think it was Nige chatting to players about lesser term contracts, identifying affordable targets. He even said many times, the coaches done the training not him! People say he blooded in the youth, he had no choice, no manager had any choice, whoever was in the job would have had to have done that. Yet he still turned to Andy King ahead of the youth so many people say he was keen to blood in!

It was not just Pearson who was responsible for the transition, there was a whole team of people. Pearson's number one job was to get performances on the pitch and he failed at it. I really do not get the love in one little bit.

He was part of a team who steadied a ship through tough times, don't get me wrong, but he was not some vital cog that without it all fell apart. Had he concentrated on getting us to play better and get results, he wouldn't have lost his job.

The love in with him is a joke. We won nothing under him, we were bang average and the way he is lorded like he won us every trophy under the sun, because he was relatable, spoke his mind and had the fans backing is somewhat crazy! The fans who idolised him, were hoodwinked, he played up to the board, when he knew the fans weren't happy with the board. He tried to make himself untouchable by having the fans on his side, by calling out the owners and trying to manipulate them into a new deal. He knew he was getting sacked and deservedly so. He just tried to roll the dice by getting the fans on the backs of the owners and on his side, to try and get what he wanted. Yet he was continuously failing to improve us on the pitch. 

His time had come, the board made the right decision to try and progress and improve. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't, but it was not going to work under Pearson, so despite many fans on here wanting to fall to their knees and bow to someone who achieved NOTHING here, he was not the answer. There is a chance Manning might be, there's also a chance he won't be and the dice will be rolled again.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Flames 2

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think we should celebrate our Europa cup win five years from now. 

And three years from now we'll still be celebrating our amazing run from Christmas 2023 that got us promoted, along with the incredible decision of our superb owners to change manager mid season.

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

I personally find it rather pathetic the amount of Nige threads ranging from a leaving card to how fans want to chant for him every week etc. Nigel Pearson came in to do a job. What was done off the field, was done very well. However, this was not JUST because of him. It was because of many people employed to work towards that remit. Whoever was manager, would have had to work within that remit. On the pitch however, we were poor. We were under achieving and we weren't going anywhere. It was time for a change for one the pitch reasons. People seem to praise Nige for bringing down the wage bill, steadying ship etc. However, do you really think it was Nige chatting to players about lesser term contracts, identifying affordable targets. He even said many times, the coaches done the training not him! People say he blooded in the youth, he had no choice, no manager had any choice, whoever was in the job would have had to have done that. Yet he still turned to Andy King ahead of the youth so many people say he was keen to blood in!

It was not just Pearson who was responsible for the transition, there was a whole team of people. Pearson's number one job was to get performances on the pitch and he failed at it. I really do not get the love in one little bit.

He was part of a team who steadied a ship through tough times, don't get me wrong, but he was not some vital cog that without it all fell apart. Had he concentrated on getting us to play better and get results, he wouldn't have lost his job.

The love in with him is a joke. We won nothing under him, we were bang average and the way he is lorded like he won us every trophy under the sun, because he was relatable, spoke his mind and had the fans backing is somewhat crazy! The fans who idolised him, were hoodwinked, he played up to the board, when he knew the fans weren't happy with the board. He tried to make himself untouchable by having the fans on his side, by calling out the owners and trying to manipulate them into a new deal. He knew he was getting sacked and deservedly so. He just tried to roll the dice by getting the fans on the backs of the owners and on his side, to try and get what he wanted. Yet he was continuously failing to improve us on the pitch. 

His time had come, the board made the right decision to try and progress and improve. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't, but it was not going to work under Pearson, so despite many fans on here wanting to fall to their knees and bow to someone who achieved NOTHING here, he was not the answer. There is a chance Manning might be, there's also a chance he won't be and the dice will be rolled again.

if all that was the case, the board should have sacked everyone else first and said there wasnt a job left for NP as his work was done here.

Sorry,but with all due respect, i dont agree with much of that

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I'm a bit fed up with everything Bristol City right now. It all just feels a bit backward, you know? Why are we so stuck in the past as a club and as fans, especially when we've not really achieved much? Check out the first page of the forum, and you'll see what I mean:

• Nigels leaving card
  • Nigel Pearson, Bit of an Artist
  • Making a fuss about winning the Carabao Cup 6 years ago (No mention of that Liverpool win we keep harping on about)
  • Richard Gould back
  • Mark Aston thread

And don't get me started on our social media team—constantly wishing old players happy birthday and every new shirt being some kind of "throwback." It's like we're stuck in a time loop or something.

Why can't we, as a club and a fanbase, be a bit more with the times? We seem to love the same old stuff, especially this weird obsession with Nigel Pearson. The guy was just so average, I don't get where all the love comes from. It's just basic and, well, a bit rubbish. We're basically cheering on failure and being okay with being average.

Why can't we, as a club and fanbase, get with the times a bit more? We're stuck on the same old things, especially this weird love for Nigel Pearson. The bloke was just so average; I'm scratching my head wondering why everyone's so into him apart from the fact he was a bit edgy. It's just basic and, well, a bit tinpot. We're basically cheering on failure and settling for being just average.

Am I the only one who thinks like this?

P.s Don't get me started with the love for Massengo just because he had big hair. Never has such a below average player been so lorded.  

I do think the social media team’s stuff is lazy and low effort. They’re clearly measured on engagement, but that doesn’t mean they need to wish David Clarkson, Neil Kilkenny and Danny Haynes a happy birthday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robinforlife2 said:

Brilliant post... there's a storm a'comin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

if all that was the case, the board should have sacked everyone else first and said there wasnt a job left for NP as his work was done here.

Sorry,but with all due respect, i dont agree with much of that

Why would you sack everyone first and then leave 1 man on crutches that cannot take training 

8 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Why would you sack everyone first and then leave 1 man on crutches that cannot take training 

Because he and his coaching team were capable of building a football club, unlike the the billionaire owner and his son who have over 20yrs spunking millions at making us bang average.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

See highlighted last sentence.

After 20 odd years of 'twisting' it was time for the Lansdowns to finally call 'stick' and give us the stability and platform to give us a proper chance of achieving the play offs during the next 18 months.

Instead they have rolled the dice yet again. This is what is causing angst amongst the majority of pro NP supporters on this forum.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Wow

The irony......oh my

From a poster who is , and was,  so far up Lee Johnson’s bowels they’ve contracted the Indian Tunnel Rescuers , just so you could breathe **

As for you Suggesting just  ‘keep rolling the dice’ it sums up your thought process absolutely and puts you on the football knowledge level of the Lansdowns

** A bit of a theme with the very very few  who keep liking each other’s , anti NP posts 😗

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

Who drove that strategy?

Who drove all that change at the club?

Nigel Pearson…with Richard Gould

Who put up with the consequences on the pitch as a result of the above?

Nigel Pearson.

Nigel Pearson did not fail at his number one job.  He had a multiple facet job for starters, and keeping us in the Championship whilst bearing the brunt of a decreasing budget was a success.

Thats why a number of him have great respect for him.

What an ungrateful sounding post.

Yeah, of course he doesn’t mark the pitch, put up the goalnet, sign the contracts, design the kit…that’s some tenuous rationale to back up your point!

I love your bit in bold, the sureness from you that it was the right decision, followed by your uncertainty of its success immediately after.

• Like 6
  • Flames 6

3 hours ago, robinforlife2 said:

1) I personally find it rather pathetic the amount of Nige threads.

Well the situation is unprecedented at City. A mainly popular Manager sacked ? Never happened , we rarely have Managers leave who aren't sacked. Many could see what he was trying to put in place and would like him to have had a little more time to put it into place. Then how it was done and after selling the best player for a record fee and very little reinvestment irks many.

2) this was not JUST because of him. It was because of many people employed to work towards that remit.
2a) However, do you really think it was Nige chatting to players about lesser term contracts, identifying affordable targets.

Very true. Gould was a great appointment who would have dealt with finances. The fact that Pearson had a big impact on recruitment AND final say meant the players coming in were already within budget and he would have been involved in renegotiations with the players staying because it was a budget he had to work with.
As far as I recall, we didn't try and sign anyone that turned us down for a higher Club or bigger wages somewhere else. Pearson had organised the recruitment set up and he had a big say in that

3) we were poor. We were under achieving and we weren't going anywhere

After 14 or more players leaving and having a much smaller budget to work with it was always going to take time to rebuild. That we only lost by the odd goal to Leeds & Leicester during an injury crisis says we had something going. 
I do take your point that progress or improvement had been slower than hoped . I thought (and still think ) we have a reasonable squad that if fully fit would be doing better than we had. It hasn't been fully fit for some time and to sack a Manager after losing a game with 12 players out makes it feel much more than about results.
Same position do you think Manning would have been sacked ?

4) The love in with him is a joke.

Because some liked him and you don't doesn't make it a joke . I thought he was necessary at the time and come to enjoy his briefings . I'm not as anti Lansdown (s) as many on here so that 'beef' between him and the board didn't impress me. He came over as being strong minded and straight talking, it's a well used ploy to state your case  ( in this case question your contract and reinvestment ) in the hope it might move things in your favour. 
It didn't , but I think Jon misjudged the timing of things and should have waited until the summer and just not renewed.

5) the board made the right decision to try and progress and improve. If it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't,  There is a chance Manning might be, there's also a chance he won't be and the dice will be rolled again.

It felt like Pearson had done a good job to a point, there wasn't a need to "Roll the Dice " just yet. 
Players returning to fit ness and a couple of winnable games ahead ? We will never know if we would have had more points , but we returned to those unforced individual errors that had Pearson moaning previously and that had dried up somewhat recently.
How long do we give Manning to judge progress ? The top 6 thing is bullshit , but he has a fairly decent settled squad and will no doubt get the money that wasn't there previously , so February seems a reasonable time to really critique what he has done.

6) but it was not going to work under Pearson, so despite many fans on here wanting to fall to their knees and bow to someone who achieved NOTHING here, he was not the answer.

Sold or got rid of 23 players and paid for 5 replacements over his spell . Spent about £8m when we brought in about £36m . The next step may have allowed on pitch progression , who knows , but IMO there were signs even with a very limited budget.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

25 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Wow

The irony......oh my

From a poster who is , and was,  so far up Lee Johnson’s bowels they’ve contracted the Indian Tunnel Rescuers , just so you could breathe **

As for you Suggesting just  ‘keep rolling the dice’ it sums up your thought process absolutely and puts you on the football knowledge level of the Lansdowns

** A bit of a theme with the very very few  who keep liking each other’s , anti NP posts 😗

Crazy innit.  You go from carefully building to rolling the dice!!!

@1960maaan good post Mike 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

FWIW, after all the Nige bashing posts of the past couple of years, I think it’s nice to redress the balance! 😉

Every week, win percentage, Danny Simpson, another player to be thrown under the bus, back to back wins.  I might start posting Nige artwork, Dave Rennie clinical trial studies.  Mike if you could clip every robins uncut where Fleming says “quality Belly” and put them into a montage, and similar with Jase where he looks in disdain at a player not doing the training drill properly, that would be cool. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I believe that's a bit too harsh on the Lansdowns. As someone mentioned earlier, we did give it a shot, but unfortunately, things didn't pan out – that's football for you.

Take a glance at Chelsea and Manchester United; despite spending hundreds of millions, they seem to have worsened. SL might have backed the wrong horse, but to argue that he lacks ambition is untrue. While some believe football is a straightforward equation of money equaling success, it's far more intricate, an unsolvable formula.

The Lansdowns have indeed made some questionable decisions, but as fans, all we have is hindsight to critique them with. I don't recall anyone advising MA and LJ to curb their spending at the time; in fact, we were all clamouring for the signings of Palmer, Kalas, Dasilva etc. At that moment, no one labelled these as poor decisions. However, with hindsight, these very actions are now used as a stick to criticise everyone involved.

You have just used that we again. Supporters and their views are not one homogenised lump.

There were numerous posts about spending, and how poor spending was during that time. I called the spending versus income a nonsense, no hindsight, and it was.  

Posters highlighted a concern about Palmers work rate in a team. He was a show pony, a showy flick every ten minutes isn't enough, five touches slows the game down, not getting into shape damages the teams intent. Yes, I and others labelled it a poor signing at the time that did not appear to have the dna to fit the identity and project that Lee Johnson was possibly(!!) pursuing at the time. I can go in to depth about clubs in the bag, another nonsense where signings costing millions were dumped in a hole called clubs in the bag at the training ground, and I was writing that at the time, clubs in the bag was millions of pounds wasted. 

I and many others posted for years about BCFC lack of model of play (identity) and scattergun recruitment applied to the morphing non existent model.

We were not all clamouring for these signings at all.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, stortfordred said:

An interesting debate if suffused with a rather argumentative attitude from the OP despite his/her willingness to admit they might be prepared to listen to other points of view. 

I've got to respond to this point. Debating is essentially a form of argument, and it inevitably comes across as such, particularly in written communication where tone is hard to discern. I apologize if my responses seem argumentative, but I'm merely addressing the comments directed at me, and as you can see, I always reply in the same tone as the person approaching me.

The challenge with faceless internet forums and social media is the apparent absence of human respect in online communication. If you disagree with me, that's perfectly fine; I'm genuinely okay with it. I appreciate it when people present well-thought-out arguments that might make me reconsider my stance. However, if you disagree but convey it in a patronizing manner or use words like "stupid" or "idiot," it immediately puts someone on the defensive, and I'll respond in a similar tone.

Take a look at some of the replies; they have an almost aggressive tone in response to my original post. I can assure you; they wouldn't communicate in that manner on the street or when meeting someone for the first time. Yet, because there are zero consequences and they're shielded behind a screen, all social cues seem to fall apart. It's rather bizarre when you think about it.

Imagine how much better this forum could be if users had to sign up using identification, posting with their real names and photos. I'm confident it would become significantly more respectful overnight as the interactions become less anonymous, and individuals realize they're a bit more exposed.

5 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Take a look at some of the replies; they have an almost aggressive tone in response to my original post. I can assure you; they wouldn't communicate in that manner on the street or when meeting someone for the first time. Yet, because there are zero consequences and they're shielded behind a screen, all social cues seem to fall apart. It's rather bizarre when you think about it.

Might be worth you taking your own advice there! 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Might be worth you taking your own advice there! 

This surely isn’t the same poster who was extremely rude and dismissive of a certain poster ,

and unable to gain any traction or support ,  like a 6 yr old primary school child , renamed himself ‘Spreadsheet Boy’......

Is it ? 

Face to face never a concern for me Len 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I'll take that on board.  If you couldn't point me in the direction where I've been rude or abrasive to someone who hasn't been that way to me first, I'll use them as good examples to learn from. 

I’m not trawling through your history.  You can do it yourself.  But it’s genuinely hilarious you making out that your posts are any more convivial than most others’ on here. 

Edited by lenred

15 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Imagine how much better this forum could be if users had to sign up using identification, posting with their real names and photos. I'm confident it would become significantly more respectful overnight as the interactions become less anonymous, and individuals realize they're a bit more exposed.

There’s a thread from a while ago where a number of us did that, gave our names, but of bio etc.

If you want to find my real name, if you don’t already know, it’s pretty easy to.  Pretty much everyone has called me Fevs since I was about 18.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Confused 1