IGNORED

Local Council

BigTone

Every year at Christmas our local council (commune) here in France deliver a box of choccies to every resident at Christmas. 

Today the Mayor knocked on the door with a bottle of Rose, chocolates, Quail & grape pate, Goose pate, nougat & and free christmas tree.  How civilised is that ?

I love this country.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Every year at Christmas our local council (commune) here in France deliver a box of choccies to every resident at Christmas. 

Today the Mayor knocked on the door with a bottle of Rose, chocolates, Quail & grape pate, Goose pate, nougat & and free christmas tree.  How civilised is that ?

I love this country.

That's pretty impressive to be fair. Isn't it a bit 'late' to be getting a Christmas tree though? 

Lovely gesture. Would never in a million years happen here sadly! 

3 minutes ago, Akira said:

That's pretty impressive to be fair. Isn't it a bit 'late' to be getting a Christmas tree though? 

Lovely gesture. Would never in a million years happen here sadly! 

Better late than never.  We already have a tree they set up outside the house last week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

I love this country.

That’s nothing. Up in Hartcliffe you’d wake up to a stained mattress, a dubiously obtained moped AND a sofa left in your front garden. How civilised is that?

I love this country. 

• Haha 6

I love this country.

I somehow doubt they do that in certain arrondissements of Northern Paris, or indeed in many other major French cities, such as Marseille. 

I suspect France isn't too dissimilar to the UK in the sense that quality of public services are a postcode lottery. 

• Like 2

I love this country.

Is he up for re-election soon by any chance ? 🤑

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I somehow doubt they do that in certain arrondissements of Northern Paris, or indeed in many other major French cities, such as Marseille. 

I suspect France isn't too dissimilar to the UK in the sense that quality of public services are a postcode lottery. 

I expect you are correct.

11 hours ago, BigTone said:

I love this country.

I had a letter to say they are going to dig up the road soon . :laughcont:

I love BCC 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, BigTone said:

I love this country.

Yeah, but……..

No free food or drink, a slalom to avoid the potholes and the blocked drains, driving because there’s no public transport, back to a freezing home and an unlit street……

But I can still get to the Gate in half an hour to watch City tonight. How great is that?

Love this place!!!

• Haha 1

On 21/12/2023 at 20:50, BigTone said:

I love this country.

I wouldn’t want Marvin knocking on my door , 

or perhaps I would 👊

• Like 1

On 21/12/2023 at 21:50, BigTone said:

I love this country.

They will just add it on to your taxe foncière. But don’t forget to vote for the Mayor next election.

Yours cynically.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Oeufs marinés not a thing in rural France then?! 

Oeufs Cocotte with a slice of fois gras was one of the best things I've ever eaten in France. Was in Orlean. It was so good we detoured our way back from Italy to go to the same restaurant to experience it again. 

Not sure I'd eat Fois Gras again though now. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

They will just add it on to your taxe foncière. But don’t forget to vote for the Mayor next election.

Yours cynically.

Exactly, while a nice gesture you are paying for it and delivery, better to pay less rates and have money in your pocket to spend on what you want. Councils waste far too much money, Marv flies all over the world on tax payers taxes cause he can.😡

When I lived near Carcassonne it was 4 bottles of wine for everyone over 60.

As we lived in the biggest wine growing area in the world, the Languedoc-Roussillon region produced more wine than the whole of Australia, I don’t suppose it costs the Mairie very much, probably just getting rid of the stock that needs drinking soon. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

When I lived near Carcassonne it was 4 bottles of wine for everyone over 60.

As we lived in the biggest wine growing area in the world, the Languedoc-Roussillon region produced more wine than the whole of Australia, I don’t suppose it costs the Mairie very much, probably just getting rid of the stock that needs drinking soon. 

suppose you get the old postcards and broken bucket and spades now? 🤔

17 hours ago, spudski said:

Oeufs Cocotte with a slice of fois gras was one of the best things I've ever eaten in France. Was in Orlean. It was so good we detoured our way back from Italy to go to the same restaurant to experience it again. 

Not sure I'd eat Fois Gras again though now. 

A very nice dish, but something you can easily make at home for a fraction of the price.

We have our foie gras ready, pre-ordered and purchased from the local butcher, which we shall enjoy with smoked salmon later this evening.

I appreciate that a lot of people decline to eat foie gras on principle, as with veal, but both are widely accepted and enjoyed over here.

• Like 3

On 21/12/2023 at 20:50, BigTone said:

I love this country.

Sadly our council has been Labour for numerous years now and nothing has changed in south Bristol,it’s got worse if anything,homeless people a plenty 

• Sad 1

On 24/12/2023 at 11:12, PHILINFRANCE said:

A very nice dish, but something you can easily make at home for a fraction of the price.

We have our foie gras ready, pre-ordered and purchased from the local butcher, which we shall enjoy with smoked salmon later this evening.

I appreciate that a lot of people decline to eat foie gras on principle, as with veal, but both are widely accepted and enjoyed over here.

lovely!!!