IGNORED

Two New Signings in January

Port Said Red

13 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Manning really rates Tanner…

It is here he comes under scrutiny. I don’t really mind him. He just isn’t going to bomb up and down the right like a lot of rb/lb do nowadays. He is dependable and there is nothing wrong with that. I’d like for him to gain the confidence to overlap once in awhile but that can come with time. He doesn’t let the side down

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is here he comes under scrutiny. I don’t really mind him. He just isn’t going to bomb up and down the right like a lot of rb/lb do nowadays. He is dependable and there is nothing wrong with that. I’d like for him to gain the confidence to overlap once in awhile but that can come with time. He doesn’t let the side down

George Tanner has huge boots to fill considering how many very decent RBs we’ve had over the years. Scott, Brennan to name just two. He’s still relatively inexperienced and the more he plays the more his game will improve.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 4

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

George Tanner has huge boots to fill considering how many very decent RBs we’ve had over the years. Scott, Brennan to name just two. He’s still relatively inexperienced and the more he plays the more his game will improve.

They were both LBs.

• Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Plus you forget Mickey Bell & Darren Barnard, we have had a series of quality right backs.

Shame our left backs (apart from Bradley Orr) have been so poor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Flames 1

I hate having to defend Robbored, I really do.

But it is factually correct that to say Jim Brennan, although by trade a left back, played a lot of games for the club on the right hand side as Darren Barnard and then Mickey Bell were at the club at the same time as Jim. He was adept enough (and I remember MoM performances) to play right side and often did.

Martin Scott, however was undoubtedly a left back and apart from maybe playing central on the odd occasion played all games there. 

So, it’s likely he got Brennan right through luck as opposed to judgement.

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Robbored , when you’re in a hole, stop digging . 
Adam Locke would have been RB when you were watching Jim Brennan bombing on. 

It'll be lauding Tinnion next with his brilliant right foot.

Anyway, back to the OP, it will indeed be like two new signings having Atkinson back and McCrorie to begin his career here and helping with the squad size. Not sure where they fit in though with defence playing well and its not priority positions these days, although McCrorie can play midfield apparently so it will give options.

TGH needs to be signed up so thats a decent amount to spend (or may already be accounted for). Aside from that, it may be a case of keeping the powder dry until the summer.

16 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But it is factually correct that to say Jim Brennan, although by trade a left back, played a lot of games for the club on the right hand side as Darren Barnard and then Mickey Bell were at the club at the same time as Jim. He was adept enough (and I remember MoM performances) to play right side and often did.

Martin Scott, however was undoubtedly a left back and apart from maybe playing central on the odd occasion played all games there. 

Brennan & Barnard actually only overlapped for 8 games & Louis Carey played RB in nearly all of those with Barnard (what a player he was, BTW) playing left midfield in front of Brennan.

Inexplicably John Ward didn’t rate Brennan, so he didn’t feature much at all the following season, Benny Lennartsson said when he arrived he had been told by Ward that he could leave.

He did have about 15 games at RB under Benny before Bell broke his ankle at WBA, but as we both know the majority of his career at Forest (who paid us over a million for him) & Norwich was as a left back.

Edited by GrahamC

Just now, GrahamC said:

Brennan & Barnard actually only overlapped for 8 games & Louis Carey played RB in all of those with Barnard (what a player he was, BTW) playing left midfield in front of Brennan.

Inexplicably John Ward didn’t rate Brennan, so he didn’t feature much at all the following season, Benny Lennartsson said when he arrived he had been told by Ward that he could leave.

He did have about 15 games at RB under Benny before Bell broke his ankle at WBA, but as we both know the majority of his career at Forest (who paid us over a million for him) & Norwich was as a left back.

Oh yeah, not denying he was a LB but by those numbers 1/4 of his games for us were right side so I do get the confusion (or I would if it wasn’t a troll). I have a hazy memory of JB coming back from Canada duty to an early kick off starting on the bench and having a stormer.

The non rating by Ward isn’t a surprise - as we’ve been through before, wasn’t a fan of JW. Absolutely was of Barnard though, a phenomenally good player and the nostalgic part of me likes to think he signed a deal before going to Barnsley so we got a fee!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But it is factually correct that to say Jim Brennan, although by trade a left back, played a lot of games for the club on the right hand side as Darren Barnard and then Mickey Bell were at the club at the same time as Jim. He was adept enough (and I remember MoM performances) to play right side and often 

it’s likely he got Brennan right through luck as opposed to judgement.

I posted earlier that I vividly remember Brennan bombing up the right overlapping in front of the old Williams Stand. Glad someone else remembered as well.

30 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I posted earlier that I vividly remember Brennan bombing up the right overlapping in front of the old Williams Stand. Glad someone else remembered as well.

I posted earlier that i vividly remember Brennan and Scott being LBs. Glad someone else remembered as well. :cool2:

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Oh yeah, not denying he was a LB but by those numbers 1/4 of his games for us were right side so I do get the confusion (or I would if it wasn’t a troll). I have a hazy memory of JB coming back from Canada duty to an early kick off starting on the bench and having a stormer.

The non rating by Ward isn’t a surprise - as we’ve been through before, wasn’t a fan of JW. Absolutely was of Barnard though, a phenomenally good player and the nostalgic part of me likes to think he signed a deal before going to Barnsley so we got a fee!

That was Blackpool under Pulis, not long before we sold him, he played LB, coming on for Mickey Bell.

Our right back that day was one Gerald Lavin..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Oh, you are all so young.  Mike Thresher was one of our best LBs.

And so he would have been if he could have played in any of our sides since. He was very quick and not many wingers got the better of him. Not even Sir Stanley Matthews who, having pulled in a post war record City crowd, was kept very quiet by The Threshing Machine.

On 24/12/2023 at 17:29, Robbored said:

Benny blooded him RB a handful of times and I certainly don’t recall him “bombing up and the right”.

He was a pensive RB often looking to cut back onto his left, but he was a LB, LWB, LM by trade. That’s what earned him his move to Forest.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Our "signings" in January will be TGH (already agreed) and a forward from Oxford. Watch BT, our DOF (or should that be DUFF) then come out of the woodwork to heap praise on the "club" (meaning himself)

I believe there is one signing already made but to be announced on Jan 1st, maybe for the U21's at this stage. I am not sure they will bring TGH signing forward, but I think they should.

I don't think the striker is from Oxford.

• Like 3