IGNORED

Two New Signings in January

Port Said Red

At least that's what it will feel like when Rob A and McCrorie are available. 

I think that they will give Manning to play a 3 - 5 - 2 with a more expansive right wing back and Dickie playing on his more natural right side. 

Whether there will be further additions is still to be seen, but the rumour mill is in full flow as usual.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 2

I know McRorie came in as a rb and Tanner is coming under a lot of scrutiny. However, I’d be real tempted to try McRorie in midfield with Hickman and Knight.

We talk about Wells cameo and how he got us up the pitch. I also thought we were much better because Williams come on for James. It isn’t in possession that worries me. However out of possession and breaking up attacks I thought James really hurt us last night.

James and TGH are also way too similar to me. Neither is willing to really make runs into the area or down a channel. I know this isn’t a big role for CMs but you look at our crosses last night and many only have Conway to find. Knight was often out wide helping create the overload which is fine. 

I am not convinced going 352 will make us better. We now have 20 minutes of Wells in the new BCFC and it led to two goals, granted we were chasing those goals but it looked good. Especially with Sykes form and Mehmeti possibly turning the corner. Also, really enjoyed Bell’s cameo. We still need a couple of players for that front 3. We need to find that bit of magic like Sunderland have with Roberts and Clarke. Like Hull have with Delap and Philogene when fit. 

So yea, both their returns give us options and depth and versatility. Looking forward to it. Them coming back plus an early January signing could see us maintain this top 10 form. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think that they will give Manning to play a 3 - 5 - 2 with a more expansive right wing back and Dickie playing on his more natural right side. 

Whether there will be further additions is still to be seen, but the rumour mill is in full flow as usual.

Exciting!!!

I can see Williams and James going in the summer so wouldn’t be surprised to see a midfielder come in to prepare for that.  I love James but the only way I can see him staying is if he agrees to a pay cut and a bit part role. Williams not good enough in possession.  A striker is a clear need but can we sign better than we have in January with low budget ?  Hard to see that. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I can see Williams and James going in the summer so wouldn’t be surprised to see a midfielder come in to prepare for that.  I love James but the only way I can see him staying is if he agrees to a pay cut and a bit part role. Williams not good enough in possession.  A striker is a clear need but can we sign better than we have in January with low budget ?  Hard to see that. 

With limited budget I wonder what will happen. 
I like James, but I can see Manning wanting someone more mobile or dynamic , but would be handy to keep.
Williams can add that bite and dynamism and what would you pay for a similar player ? It's a balancing act , small increase on Williams decent wages or a couple of millions spent on a player you don't know . 
I would say it could be cost effective to keep him , specially if James isn't offered anything. 

• Like 1

Issue for us has been the number of injuries.

You expect 2 or 3 to be missing but even excluding Benarous, we have often had 5 or 6 out.

We are by no means unique here this season in the Prem there have been more than ever.

Getting Atkinson back & McCrorie available certainly will be good news but we have to expect the excellent availability of those 15 players who have slogged through the first half of the season won’t necessarily be as good as it’s been so far.

To me we need another midfielder & a 10, defensively if those two return (& in time Roberts & Naismith too) then we have enough but the injury record of Kal in particular is really starting to concern me.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

It wouldn't surprise me, I think James would probably prefer to get back to his home life these days. He looks quite a lonely figure sat outside Costa, Portishead on the eve of a match day. 

He does amaze me the way he uses his experience to save his legs and to stop more nimble midfield players out running him. I wish I had seen him more in his prime.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

29 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I know McRorie came in as a rb and Tanner is coming under a lot of scrutiny. However, I’d be real tempted to try McRorie in midfield with Hickman and Knight.

We talk about Wells cameo and how he got us up the pitch. I also thought we were much better because Williams come on for James. It isn’t in possession that worries me. However out of possession and breaking up attacks I thought James really hurt us last night.

James and TGH are also way too similar to me. Neither is willing to really make runs into the area or down a channel. I know this isn’t a big role for CMs but you look at our crosses last night and many only have Conway to find. Knight was often out wide helping create the overload which is fine. 

I am not convinced going 352 will make us better. We now have 20 minutes of Wells in the new BCFC and it led to two goals, granted we were chasing those goals but it looked good. Especially with Sykes form and Mehmeti possibly turning the corner. Also, really enjoyed Bell’s cameo. We still need a couple of players for that front 3. We need to find that bit of magic like Sunderland have with Roberts and Clarke. Like Hull have with Delap and Philogene when fit. 

So yea, both their returns give us options and depth and versatility. Looking forward to it. Them coming back plus an early January signing could see us maintain this top 10 form. 

Big shout out to Williams who was exactly what we needed at the time.  He won the ball back and then kept it for us.  I know he wasn’t on long but was superb on his little cameo.

• Like 13

34 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I agree  think james is ok to come on if we need to sure the game up  but hopefully mcCrorrie  is the answer .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I think we’ll keep James, has mentioned in interviews he wants to stay. Realistically James/King/Williams are all out of contract and nothing is confirmed around TGH signing. So will need some continuity and James is the perfect man for that imo 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It wouldn't surprise me, I think James would probably prefer to get back to his home life these days. He looks quite a lonely figure sat outside Costa, Portishead on the eve of a match day. 

He does amaze me the way he uses his experience to save his legs and to stop more nimble midfield players out running him. I wish I had seen him more in his prime.

Costa….ffs. I’ve lost some respect for him now. 

In all seriousness, I personally wouldn’t be surprised to see him stay. He’s actually comfortable with the ball at his feet which LM will want from anyone. Williams however, I’d be truly amazed to see kept on. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Big shout out to Williams who was exactly what we needed at the time.  He won the ball back and then kept it for us.  I know he wasn’t on long but was superb on his little cameo.

Williams is a class act when fully fit - it’s his temperament that can let him down on occasions.

In my view he and James are very similar in style and they don’t complement each other too well and I was glad to see that TGH was in for Williams last night - that said,  it could have James on the bench instead of JW.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

If poor Ayman’s rotten luck ever improves, he would also feel like a new signing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Issue for us has been the number of injuries.

You expect 2 or 3 to be missing but even excluding Benarous, we have often had 5 or 6 out.

We are by no means unique here this season in the Prem there have been more than ever.

Getting Atkinson back & McCrorie available certainly will be good news but we have to expect the excellent availability of those 15 players who have slogged through the first half of the season won’t necessarily be as good as it’s been so far.

To me we need another midfielder & a 10, defensively if those two return (& in time Roberts & Naismith too) then we have enough but the injury record of Kal in particular is really starting to concern me.

Sounds harsh but I would give Naismith one more injury , if he stays fit we keep as I think we are a better side wit him in it , problem is he doesn’t seem to bit fit much of late to be in it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southport Red said:

If poor Ayman’s rotten luck ever improves, he would also feel like a new signing. 

Based on the multiple times I have seen Ayman play I don’t get the expectation that he would command a place in the first team 

He’s had a nightmare time with injuries and the lad has talent but when he last played for the first team he was physically lacking 

I sincerely hope he makes a full recovery and gets back to playing but he’s yet to prove himself capable at this level 

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Just need to get them up to speed and full match fitness which will take time though.

For me Atkinson was the first name on the teamsheet before he got injured at Sunderland last season. With the addition of Dicky in the summer (who for me is fighting Knight for player if the season) and a on form Zac, we should have one of the best central defences in the division. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Am I right in thinking Ayman is out for the season again 

My hunch is it’s probably worse than that.

He hasn’t played now since April 2022, since when he’s had 2 ACL injuries & subsequently two hamstring ones.

Next season is the last year of his contract, I think you would have to be a real optimist now to think he’s coming back from this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

35 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My hunch is it’s probably worse than that.

He hasn’t played now since April 2022, since when he’s had 2 ACL injuries & subsequently two hamstring ones.

Next season is the last year of his contract, I think you would have to be a real optimist now to think he’s coming back from this.

I would agree, such a shame for the lad. 

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

it’s definitely an option.  You may recall he reminds me of Marv Elliott in the way he moves / plays.  Physical and can run all day.

Giving James an excuse, I wonder if he was one who was ill. He was always a yard off, a split second too late last night.  Most unlike him.  Williams did just what we needed him to do.  I like Joe.

I think that’s a little bit unfair on TGH who is the one of the pair to drive forward.  We’ve seen that a large number of times since he’s been here.

yep, no need to change formation imho.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 1

With wells back , I would like to see knight played a little deeper, we definitely need more energy in the midfield and there where time last night where we really struggled to press them, would love to see us line up like this when all injuries return.

O’Leary 

Mcorrie      Dickie          Atkinson    Pring

Williams

Knight                      TGH

Sykes                      Memetti    
                             Wells

• Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

With wells back , I would like to see knight played a little deeper, we definitely need more energy in the midfield and there where time last night where we really struggled to press them, would love to see us line up like this when all injuries return.

O’Leary 

Williams

Wells

I don't think we will be dropping Vyner, you would lose too much mobility at the back.

17 minutes ago, Johnr1986 said:

O’Leary 

Williams

Wells

Vyner has to play 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Any "inside " knowledge @Port Said Red? 😂