IGNORED

Two New Signings in January

Port Said Red

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My hunch is it’s probably worse than that.

He hasn’t played now since April 2022, since when he’s had 2 ACL injuries & subsequently two hamstring ones.

Next season is the last year of his contract, I think you would have to be a real optimist now to think he’s coming back from this.

I hope not for the poor lad 

46 minutes ago, Midred said:

Any "inside " knowledge @Port Said Red? 😂

I said on another thread that "just after the West Ham game" seemed to be the target for Rob. He's been busy moving house this week so I don't know if that's changed, but I will ask when I see him. He did say that McCrorie looked very fit as well, the damage wasn't ligament or muscular as such, which should help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My hunch is it’s probably worse than that.

He hasn’t played now since April 2022, since when he’s had 2 ACL injuries & subsequently two hamstring ones.

Next season is the last year of his contract, I think you would have to be a real optimist now to think he’s coming back from this.

Sadly, I fear for him too.

Bare minimum, posters hoping they'll see him at some point this season are mental.

Personally, I'd be amazed if he makes it now. Which would make me very grumpy indeed.

Whats been very obvious to me for all of last season and this one is a CF to lead the line. The number of occasions that Sykes, Bell, Pring et el get into promising crossing positions and only Conway is likely to be in the middle. Last night was a perfect example of that - it was far more threatening when Wells came on adding an extra body in the opposition box.

That said it seems that LM isn’t a fan of two up top preferring to try and find space in behind utilising Sykes, Conway and Bells pace 

Everyone knows that January isn’t a good time to business with every deal being overpriced so it’ll almost certainly be be the summer before we see a new signing - unless a deal on Brannagan is already done of course.

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fingers crossed he can still have a great career. 

It can happen, look at Roberto Baggio...his career, and early injuries. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/roberto-baggio/verletzungen/spieler/4153

Not sure he was ever asked to play front foot, gegen pressen, high tempo Englosh football, Sat-Tues-Sat,  ever mind away to Stoke in the rain.

The game's completely different now.

Benarous has a mountain to climb. But I'm praying for him 100%.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Fingers crossed he can still have a great career. 

It can happen, look at Roberto Baggio...his career, and early injuries. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.in/roberto-baggio/verletzungen/spieler/4153

Hope so but coming back from 2 ACLs is really very rare, Afobe did so (though never quite the same player) & although Baggio had one, a 79 day absence suggests that the other ACL tear was relatively minor.

As Rob Atkinson shows this is a 9 to 10 month absence usually.

9 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Not sure he was ever asked to play front foot, gegen pressen, high tempo Englosh football, Sat-Tues-Sat,  ever mind away to Stoke in the rain.

He could play Sat-Sat and skip the Tuesdays? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

I can see Williams and James going in the summer so wouldn’t be surprised to see a midfielder come in to prepare for that.  I love James but the only way I can see him staying is if he agrees to a pay cut and a bit part role. Williams not good enough in possession.  A striker is a clear need but can we sign better than we have in January with low budget ?  Hard to see that. 

Yes lot of  logic there. I don't see Williams and James as effective enough. McCorie I think will be a good defensive midfielder so maybe not just a right back. Still need a 20 goal striker, I know not cheap. And have yet found a good enough effective forward thinking midfield player.

Just what I think as a supporter.

A lot comes down too SL and how much cash is available.

21 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

And surgery and understanding injuries and recovering is better these days, so fingers crossed. 

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Hope so but coming back from 2 ACLs is really very rare, Afobe did so (though never quite the same player) & although Baggio had one, a 79 day absence suggests that the other ACL tear was relatively minor.

As Rob Atkinson shows this is a 9 to 10 month absence usually.

But look how much time he had out due to so many knee injuries. Amazing he had a career...let alone a very good one. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Taken from what ?

Manning's interview post Sunderland for the BEP

Bristol City head coach Liam Manning believes George Tanner is "right up there" in terms of defensive full-backs in the Championship, with the 23-year-old just requiring the right level of self-belief to continue to enhance other aspects of his game.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-sunderland-tanner-manning-8982817

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I am taking that to be Conway. Which yes I can see. But will we have the team around him to give him the chances to score 20 +

I think it's as much to do with how we play or how TC adapts.

Just my opinion, but....

I think Conways best football was with Wells.
I think he needs a partner to switch positions with.
He looked most dangerous when dropping deeper and moving the CB's around. 
He has been feeding off scraps since the Rotherham game but still has something like 6 in 14 .

Tommy needs to adapt to having to stay in that CF area as Manning wants, it's new to him so is taking time. Not sure Knight has played that sort of deep striker, 2nd striker role before either. For me I like Knight deeper too, later runs into the box and more involved in the cut 'n thrust of MF.

Hope TC starts to score from open play, at current rate he gets about 16 and that rate over a season would be 20 (rounded up) .

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

The only thing I’d argue is TGH. He will drive with the ball but he likes to occupy deeper positions to start. My point was we don’t get enough people in the area on attacks imo. I’d prefer one of the two “deeper” midfielders to take the risk once in awhile as it stands. We scored 3 but generally struggle for goals and think it could help