IGNORED

Jon Lansdown email

Ziderarmy

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

It certainly was for many years as far as “best supported leagues” goes. Not sure if it still is. 

Yes, best supported. Not fifth in quality. There are various indexes around, and they'll usually quote the average and range for the division. This one https://www.globalfootballrankings.com/ is a bit out of date, but you get the idea. What I like is to see how low they rate EFL One.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, lenred said:

So you’re measuring us against Bury and Notts County?  Such ambition.   

No I'm measuring us to teams that owners bailed on when consistently losing money. It could be worse imagine being a rovers fan, atleast the club is here to stay for all the bad thought and said about the lansdowns atleast we know we are "safe". If your so unhappy with the lack ofprem time then maybe man city is the team for you,I will be there no matter the league as will my kids.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

34 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

So for prudent reasons to run an ultimately self-sustaining business?

The curious thing is that Steve has talked sustainability for years but done the opposite. You can't be self-sustaining for instance if you allow Ashton to double the wage bill to £30m.

I doubt it's possible for an average Championship club to be self-sustaining anyway. Indeed I was struck by Kieran Maguire saying the other day that even with their vast revenues, taken cumulatively over the last 10 years only three Premier League clubs have made a net profit.

Anyway we know Steve wants to reduce his financial support and sell up so I take that to be his priority. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Burnley and their rise is hard to fathom really. I remember then being bottom third League One in my first season in the late 1990s when we were struggling at this level..unlike some of those you list they didn't have a wealthy owner or wealthy fan owner. (Denim Bournemouth...why would a Russian investor invest in League One strugglers anyway)..then obviously Bloom was a Brighton fan, likewise Brentford and Benham. Bloom managed to get their infrastructure in place quite early.

Burnley I'm struggling to place how they did it, what magic formula they had for that crucial first promotion in 2009 or did it just click. A commercial powerhouse they aren't, dunno whether their owners late 2000s were wild spenders..

I met their Chairman and one or two of the directors around 15 years ago - the time they went up for the first time. Sound local business folk and a proper board. The contrast with the nepotistic set up at the Gate couldn't have been greater. The Chair had, as I recall, made his money from greetings cards? They ran a tight business and appointed good football folk to manage that side of the club. It's a place with real ambition, as any Burnley fan will tell you. Of course they've since sold up. No idea what it is like now.

• Thanks 1

Sounds they gambled a bit in the year of their first promotion Burnley but by the standards of the division they were not exactly major spenders.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/dec/09/burnley-premier-league-survival

Thanks for the context @Red Exile they do seem proper and after that first promotion they were impeccably run without a doubt.

Huge cash pile at time of takeover by Alan Pace.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

No I'm measuring us to teams that owners bailed on when consistently losing money. It could be worse imagine being a rovers fan, atleast the club is here to stay for all the bad thought and said about the lansdowns atleast we know we are "safe". If your so unhappy with the lack ofprem time then maybe man city is the team for you,I will be there no matter the league as will my kids.

Ahhhhh the old ‘go and support someone else’ answer. Genius.  

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

54 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tinnion just doesn't have the gravitas for that particular role does he.

It sounds harsh but..

Exactly. When Manning hits a rough patch I would like to see someone in there who has been there, done it, doesn’t panic and offers some sound advice based on top level experience. I don’t see someone who is pretty much as inexperienced as Manning at their job and who is portraying themselves as a mouthpiece for the ownership providing that assistance to Manning in any way, shape or form. Sometimes a DoF has to back his Manager when the rest of the Board are panicking.

Knowledge not sound bites.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well, they should have mentioned him and his staff, and apologised for the cack-handed way the change was handled and the idiotic things that were said. That's not going to upset anyone.

Of course, they should have already apologised to the man in person for their ridiculous remarks and basic ingratitude.

Mmmm, I was thinking more things he’s realistically likely to say 😂😂

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Whys that. Are that completely unrealistic about the realities of someone's football career aswell..?

No. He signed a contract with a buyout clause, so he's obviously entitled to move. But if your manager ups sticks in the middle of season, it's going to destabilise your club, at least in the short term. So a 'sorry I've upset things a bit' acknowledgement wouldn't go amiss.

• Haha 1

I'll have a stab at the nest egg comment.

He wants to build a pile of accumulated transfer profit and headroom to give it a go..either with the current FFP 3 year model in mind or the new proposed one which may or may not include transfer profits or inbound instalments included as revenue.

I see it as a potentially foolish and even damaging strategy if it is the plan but if Scott is the last big sale for a while and we can build with rather than without certain key players...maybe so long as we don't overreach again.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

No. He signed a contract with a buyout clause, so he's obviously entitled to move. But if your manager ups sticks in the middle of season, it's going to destabilise your club, at least in the short term. So a 'sorry I've upset things a bit' acknowledgement wouldn't go amiss.

I can understand those with a love in for NP being upset at his departure - bit any of those carrying that into any sort of anti LM agenda are just pathetic, imho. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I can understand those with a love in for NP being upset at his departure - bit any of those carrying that into any sort of anti LM agenda are just pathetic, imho. 

I doubt there is any particular anti LM agenda. Why would there be.

More like a combination of dismay at the treatment of NP and frustration, dismay etc at the board for that decision among various others taken since the summer in particular.

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

I never agreed with the Sacking of NP. But 100% back Manning. I would say 99% of city fans do. 

Exactly, almost everyone accepts we have to let LM get on with the job then judge him on results in a reasonable timescale…..like you would if Eustace, Schumacher or even bloody Pep had been appointed.

The major moans I was reading when the results weren’t great in the recent games were all around “front foot” and “top 6” which were daft comments made by the HIERARCHY to justify a sacking.

Any agenda is anti-BOARD tbh not anti-Manning. Like it or not that agenda is likely to rumble on with a sizeable minority. If people, BOTH sides of the debate, can stop the silly “Nige wouldn’t have”/“Nige would have” comments with no basis in fact the forum would be less polarised and a far better read with less in the way of perceived agendas.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

28 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I think the vast majority understand that tbf.

I don't. It's ridiculous. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I doubt there is any particular anti LM agenda. Why would there be.

More like a combination of dismay at the treatment of NP and frustration, dismay etc at the board for that decision among various others taken since the summer in particular.

He's literally just said that the majority think there is..!