IGNORED

Jon Lansdown email

Ziderarmy

27 minutes ago, One Team said:

The definition of the three musketeers, plus D’Artagnan (Manning), is a pretty decent analogy! Porthos is Lansdown surely?! 😂

• Athos – he has never recovered from his marriage to Milady and seeks solace in wine. He becomes a father figure to d'Artagnan.
  • Porthos – a dandy, fond of fashionable clothes and keen to make a fortune for himself. The least cerebral of the quartet.
  • Aramis – a handsome young man who wavers between his religious calling and his fondness for women and intrigue.
  • D'Artagnan – an impetuous, brave and clever young man seeking to become a musketeer in France.

Which one was Oliver Reed?

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Plus as my other post says, our figures in this regard are hugely inflated by a small squad & injuries.

Numerous Academy players have been on the bench (Nelson 9 times) with zero minutes, aside from Yeboah, loads of the others, Knight-Lebel, Backwell, Araoye, Wiles-Richards have been there simply because there was no one else. James was given a debut at Cardiff because we had about 10 players out, Manning didn’t even put him on a bench that wasn’t full very soon afterwards.

Meaningless stat.

Meaningless contradiction of the stat.

The stat was about minutes given to those players.

Someone sat on the bench but not playing wouldn't contribute to that stat.

You're being contrarian for the sake of it because it's JL

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

3 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

Meaningless contradiction of the stat.

The stat was about minutes given to those players.

Someone sat on the bench but not playing wouldn't contribute to that stat.

You're being contrarian for the sake of it because it's JL

Part of it says “in the match day squad” that was what I was referring to.

18 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

So your question right back to you then. If it’s to build this ‘nest egg’ - to what end? Just self enrichment? Surely even Lansdown’s biggest critique would struggle to say the investment in City is about making out like a bandit. 

Steve said we were building a nest egg so we can compete in the future. He didn't say how big the nest egg needs to be or when the future where we can compete will arrive though.

It's apparent also that he wants to reduce the amount he puts into the club each year. Which he is entitled to do of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, transfer reader said:

It specifically mentions minutes played.

It mentions both things.

It says “an average of six Academy graduates in the match day squad” & then also references the percentage of minutes played by them as 33.7%, the highest in the top two divisions in England.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It mentions both things.

It says “an average of six Academy graduates in the match day squad” & then also references the percentage of minutes played by them as 33.7%, the highest in the top two divisions in England.

"For the men’s team we have the highest percentage of minutes played (33.7%) by club-trained players in the top two divisions in England – players who have been with us for at least three seasons between the ages of 15 and 21. We are sixth in the top five European leagues behind only Athletic Club, Olympique Lyonnais, Real Sociedad, Real Madrid and SC Freiburg. The Academy will remain a strong focus for us going forward."

This is the full paragraph of the bit quoted by the person you responded to saying "meaningless stat"

The bit about academy players in a match day squad was a separate paragraph, so if that's what you were critiquing, then that's on you being unclear, because the context of what you were quoting would suggest you were referring to the stat in that paragraph, which if you were, your criticism of it was just outright wrong for the reason given before.

Edited by transfer reader

20 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Not necessarily outside of England!

In any event the phrase top five leagues routinely refers to

England/Germany/Spain/Italy/France

Going from the email the top 5 leagues would be... England 1/2, Spain, Germany, France.

So it has the championship and French league above Italy, I think this is an error as I doubt any list has it in that order. A bit of a slip up from whoever checked it, that's assuming an email that goes out to thousands of people gets checked...

Appreciated the communication.  Frustrating that communication only comes when the hierarchy want to deliver a message rather than a monthly or quarterly update that happens irrespective of how things are going. Will always appreciate the investment in the stadium but can’t get over the feeling that the sacking of Pearson means this Club will never play in the Premier League under the Lansdown ownership. That in itself would not be a problem with me if they could be more honest in their communication of what the real objectives of running the Club are. For example if they were to state that they are prepared to support the Club to the extent of a maximum £10m a year deficit in funding and the objective was for the Club was to play an entertaining brand of football with a commitment to investment in the community and using local suppliers wherever possible, I would except that without a problem. I just don’t like the pretence that they are running the Club to be in the Premier League when they never appoint the right people or give them the necessary resources to achieve that objective 

I got this email today.

Dear Alan

I am prince Jon Lansdown from Bermuda and your help would be much appreciated.

I want to transfer all of my nest egg out of Bermuda due to a frozen account. If you could be so kind as to transfer £3,500 to my account I will be able to unfreeze my account and transfer my nest egg out of Bermuda and back to Bristol City.

To repay this kindness I will send £1,000,000 to your account.

Please contact me to proceed.

Regards, Jon.

P.S. Compliments of the season

• Haha 8

44 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

What then..?

You'd like the Lansdowns to pack up & move off, selling up to some dubious foreign owner...?

Foreign owner?  Heaven forbid!  Foreign owned clubs like Forest, Burnley, Leicester, Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff,Bournemouth, Leeds, etc etc who have all had promotion to the Premier League during Lansdown's ownership. None of us want that. 

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 2
  • Flames 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

He (or whoever wrote it for him) probably realise they’re on a hiding to nothing if they mention him by name and if they don’t! 

Well, they should have mentioned him and his staff, and apologised for the cack-handed way the change was handled and the idiotic things that were said. That's not going to upset anyone.

Of course, they should have already apologised to the man in person for their ridiculous remarks and basic ingratitude.

56 minutes ago, One Team said:

The definition of the three musketeers, plus D’Artagnan (Manning), is a pretty decent analogy! Porthos is Lansdown surely?! 😂

• Athos – he has never recovered from his marriage to Milady and seeks solace in wine. He becomes a father figure to d'Artagnan.
  • Porthos – a dandy, fond of fashionable clothes and keen to make a fortune for himself. The least cerebral of the quartet.
  • Aramis – a handsome young man who wavers between his religious calling and his fondness for women and intrigue.
  • D'Artagnan – an impetuous, brave and clever young man seeking to become a musketeer in France.

dog.jpg.9490717890d2328ec735a9fda4d0452f.jpg

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

Foreign owner?  Heaven forbid!  Foreign owned clubs like Forest, Burnley, Leicester, Fulham, Wolves, Bournemouth, Leeds, etc etc who have all had promotion to the Premier League during Lansdown's ownership. None of us want that. 

Have we really had it that bad as Bristol city fans though?

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Well, they should have mentioned him and his staff, and apologised for the cack-handed way the change was handled and the idiotic things that were said. That's not going to upset anyone.

Of course, they should have already apologised to the man in person for their ridiculous remarks and basic ingratitude.

Christ 

• Facepalm 1

31 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Steve said we were building a nest egg so we can compete in the future. He didn't say how big the nest egg needs to be or when the future where we can compete will arrive though.

It's apparent also that he wants to reduce the amount he puts into the club each year. Which he is entitled to do of course.

So for prudent reasons to run an ultimately self-sustaining business?

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Oh no - other people have had the same greeting as me! I’m distraught as I thought it was a personal message, just to me, to thank me for putting up with my years of suffering. 

Mine was personalised - “to the overly critical bloke on OTIB”!

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

As you say let’s see but I cannot believe that such a convoluted structure as we operate in doesn’t have an impact tbh. Yes, Championship = Lose Money but do Preston or Millwall, for example, lose £28m operating?

For the previous year, you can see our position in terms of losses!

image.thumb.png.cfb9c96af54350d8f623c6cf8729a2a9.png

• Like 2

People should also understand the role of Parachute Payments and similar in respect of some of the foreign owned clubs being promoted. Not just foreign owned either of course but it can assist greatly.

Fulham e.g. by dint of their initial success under a free spending Al-Fayed who joined in 1997, had gained promotion to the PL in 2000-01.

PL and Parachute Payments assisted them greatly, so too did Al-Fayed selling to someone even richer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, johnheadbcfc said:

Have we really had it that bad as Bristol city fans though?

Well it does of course depend on what you mean by 'had it that bad'...personally I'd say that waiting 40 years for a return to the top flight was pretty frustrating.

I'm not bothered by a JL email...but the suffocating blanket of mediocrity the Lansdowns have thrown over our club isn't something to be particularly grateful for. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Foreign owner?  Heaven forbid!  Foreign owned clubs like Forest, Burnley, Leicester, Fulham, Wolves, Cardiff,Bournemouth, Leeds, etc etc who have all had promotion to the Premier League during Lansdown's ownership. None of us want that. 

Blackpool, Sheffield Wednesday, Rovers, Man Utd to name a few. You list Cardif as a good example.?!

It depends which foreign owners you get.

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Well it does of course depend on what you mean by 'had it that bad'...personally I'd say that waiting 40 years for a return to the top flight was pretty frustrating.

I'm not bothered by a JL email...but the suffocating blanket of mediocrity the Lansdowns have thrown over our club isn't something to be particularly grateful for. 

I suppose teams like Bury and notts County would be grateful of how the clubs ran.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Both teams are benefitting from our Academy system, with the men having an average of six academy graduates in the first team matchday squad and the women eight.

Imagine, if you will, my distain upon opening this seasonal missive, only to discover that our so-called 'chairman' lacks rudimentary spelling skills. "Benefitting". Schoolboy error, anyone?!

When, oh when will the Technical Director instill the standards of functional literacy at the football club that its fanbase deserves? This shoddiness would never have been tolerated on the erudite Phil Alexander's watch! 

Mark my words, we're on a downward spiral to untutored, inarticulate mediocrity ☹️

Edited by City Rocker
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, johnheadbcfc said:

I suppose teams like Bury and notts County would be grateful of how the clubs ran.

Blimey - that's setting the bar pretty low! I'm sure we can all remember times when we've pitied followers of Bournemouth & Burnley (almost going out of the league), Brentford (going bust - collections tins outside the ground), Brighton (no ground), as for Luton!!!

Finishing mid-table and losing £20m a year doesn't light my fire but is is, I agree, better than going bust.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

You list Cardif as a good example.?!

I list Cardiff as a club who have had 2 promotions to the Premier League during SL's tenure. That's all.

As far as I'm aware Tan doesn't play in the team or coach the side. He has hired people to do that, people who have performed better than the people the Lansdowns have hired.

I don't like that club, or their fans, and the behaviour over Sala is disgusting, but the comparison is that even a **** like Tan can get Cardiff promoted while SL continues to fail and make bad decisions - handing the reins to Jon and over promoting BT are the latest mistakes.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Blimey - that's setting the bar pretty low! I'm sure we can all remember times when we've pitied followers of Bournemouth & Burnley (almost going out of the league), Brentford (going bust - collections tins outside the ground), Brighton (no ground), as for Luton!!!

Finishing mid-table and losing £20m a year doesn't light my fire but is is, I agree, better than going bust.

Burnley and their rise is hard to fathom really. I remember then being bottom third League One in my first season in the late 1990s when we were struggling at this level..unlike some of those you list they didn't have a wealthy owner or wealthy fan owner. (Denim Bournemouth...why would a Russian investor invest in League One strugglers anyway)..then obviously Bloom was a Brighton fan, likewise Brentford and Benham. Bloom managed to get their infrastructure in place quite early.

Burnley I'm struggling to place how they did it, what magic formula they had for that crucial first promotion in 2009 or did it just click. A commercial powerhouse they aren't, dunno whether their owners late 2000s were wild spenders..

Edited by Mr Popodopolous