IGNORED

if your heading to Preston,don't bank on going up Blackpool tower

Never to the dark side

I'll cross that off my list then.

h=Here's a trivia question for you all:

Which North West England seaside resort built a similar tower a few years after the Blackpool Tower was completed, which was taller than the Blackpool Tower and the tallest building in the country at the time? It had a theatre and a ballroom where a thousand couples could dance and at which The Beatles played no fewer than 27 times.

Spoiler

New Brighton Tower was a steel lattice observation tower at New Brighton in the town of Wallasey, Cheshire (now in the Borough of Wirral, in Merseyside), England. It stood 567 feet (173 m) high, and was the tallest building in Great Britain when it opened some time between 1898 and 1900. Neglected during the First World War and requiring renovation the owners could not afford, dismantling of the tower began in 1919, and the metal was sold for scrap. The building at its base, housing the Tower Ballroom, continued its use until damaged by fire in 1969.

The tower was set in large grounds, which included a boating lake, a funfair, gardens, and a sports ground. The sports ground housed, at different times, a football team, an athletics track and a motorcycle speedway track. The Beatles played at the Tower Ballroom 27 times, more than at any other venue in the United Kingdom except the Cavern Club in nearby Liverpool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Brighton_Tower

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Which North West England seaside resort built a similar tower a few years after the Blackpool Tower was completed, which was taller than the Blackpool Tower and the tallest building in the country at the time? It had a theatre and a ballroom where a thousand couples could dance and at which The Beatles played no fewer than 27 times.

Reveal hidden contents

New Brighton Tower was a steel lattice observation tower at New Brighton in the town of Wallasey, Cheshire (now in the Borough of Wirral, in Merseyside), England. It stood 567 feet (173 m) high, and was the tallest building in Great Britain when it opened some time between 1898 and 1900. Neglected during the First World War and requiring renovation the owners could not afford, dismantling of the tower began in 1919, and the metal was sold for scrap. The building at its base, housing the Tower Ballroom, continued its use until damaged by fire in 1969.

The tower was set in large grounds, which included a boating lake, a funfair, gardens, and a sports ground. The sports ground housed, at different times, a football team, an athletics track and a motorcycle speedway track. The Beatles played at the Tower Ballroom 27 times, more than at any other venue in the United Kingdom except the Cavern Club in nearby Liverpool.

Bristol City replaced this town's team, that included tower in it's name, in the Football League.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Reveal hidden contents

49 feet taller than Blackpool tower, I think it was only there for about 15/20 years.