IGNORED

Millwall at home match thread

We’re extremely narrow. As soon as Tanner or Pring get the ball, Mehmeti and Weimann run inside. 

When they are content at sitting in, you need to get them out of that shape and defending in wide areas. 

Looks a tired performance so far. Not terrible as we’re controlling the game, just don’t look like creating chances which is worrying 

4 minutes ago, cellist said:

Not bad first half. Crowd getting a bit ratty with tanner playing inside to Vyner all the time, but Weimann  is obviously being told to play v narrow so he doesn't often have an option ahead of him. Sometimes wish we would move the ball a bit quicker to try and catch them out of shape. James and Williams together aren't very mobile but 'twas ever so

Yep, Tanner doesn't seem to have the options ahead of him in the same way that Pring has. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Weimann has been a great servant for this club but I just don’t see where he fits in in this team 

He should not be playing in a wide position. He has no pace at all 

As predicted - a real slog of a game 

He's the one offering movement and runs off the ball up front though when I'm watching him here.

Just now, mozo said:

It hasn't been a bad performance. We've edged it and been controlled and probing. It's just lacking a sprinkle of quality.

Let’s hope the hierarchy will sprinkle a little of their nest egg soon otherwise we’ll all be bored into hibernation 

Feel for conway, not even feeding off scraps we just cant put the ball to his feet in front of goal. I understand trying to stretch them but the distance between our front 3 is huge, with James and Williams as the 2 holders we just look so blunt going forward. 

Decent passing, making millwall work harder then brum and apart from a few risky passes have been defensively sound. 

Edited by George Rs

I’m ok with that first half - watching on RTV as Joe full of cold.  The RTV comms depressing though!  We haven’t played too bad, but Millwall set up to play on the counter.  We haven’t faced too many back threes in LM’s short time here, and their 541 w/o the ball is difficult to get down the sides, whilst making it hard to go central.  When we have been able to thread a pass through we can create.  Think the route is Vyner driving into the gap, that will free Weimann.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Peter1450 said:

Let’s hope the hierarchy will sprinkle a little of their nest egg soon otherwise we’ll all be bored into hibernation 

Last week we scored 7 goals in the space of 5 days, so we are capable. I do agree that we need more talent in this squad to push up the league.

• Like 1

The first half was far too slow and predictable for us, having to go sideways and backwards consistently given our lack of options to play the ball forward and our ponderous approach.

Crying out for a moment of quality (as was the Birmingham game). Would expect halftime changes to be made. Hopefully with Gardner-Hickman and Sykes being introduced to give us a little bit more of a chance of some creativity.

Conway is far too isolated and while Knight is working his socks off to find little pockets of space rarely do we play the ball to him. Memheti hasn’t really influenced the game as yet.

We need to play at greater pace, and with a more forward thinking approach in the second half otherwise, this is going to peter out into a bore draw or they will pinch something in the last 10 minutes!

1 minute ago, real_bristol said:

A little flat but mostly in control. seems like that is the way we play now as we suss out the opposition. Need to get Tommy involved somehow. Sykes on for Weimann please.

Defo Sykes for Weimann. For me Weimann is a shadow of the player from 2 seasons ago, despite his well taken goal against Watford.

I'd say measured, maybe. Certainly not entertaining, but wouldn't say we've played badly - However, you want to see us take it to the opposition more at home, up the tempo a bit. We're maybe a little to concerned with preventing them springing their counter attack. 

• Like 1
Just now, bexhill reds said:

BS - No he’s not. He’s a defensive rb, not an attacking wing back. Has nothing in front of him as Wiemann is pretty much anonymous, so has to pass it back to recycle. 

Doesn’t get in any other team in the league. Rose tinted if you think he would

• Confused 1
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I’m ok with that first half - watching on RTV as Joe full of cold.  The RTV comms depressing though!  We haven’t played too bad, but Millwall set up to play on the counter.  We haven’t faced too many back threes in LM’s short time here, and their 541 w/o the ball is difficult to get down the sides, whilst making it hard to go central.  When we have been able to thread a pass through we can create.  Think the route is Vyner driving into the gap, that will free Weimann.

Agree with this. There was a passage of play where Dickie played the ball through the middle which looked promising and could be the way to break them down in the 2nd half

When you sell £35m of attacking threat and spend 10% if that to replace them it’s pretty straightforward your attack will suffer. 

We look very composed and in control against a midtable side though, which is a good positive to take, but will find it hard to keep chasing playoff positions without reinforcing our attacking threat, especially through the middle. 

Hopefully January can fix that.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Competent but dull. Seems we’d rather retain the ball and recycle it to our own half than risk playing an attacking ball into the final third.

Which is fine if it means retaining possession. Thats Manningball. No point playing risky balls against a side like Millwall. They’ll defend that until the cows come home.

Just now, real_bristol said:

Agree with this. There was a passage of play where Dickie played the ball through the middle which looked promising and could be the way to break them down in the 2nd half

Think both Vyner and Dickie need to carry the ball forward more. To do that they need confidence in cover behind them, which despite Millwall playing only one up front, maybe tricky with James/Williams not being renowned for pace. TGH coming on might help (not that I think James/Williams are having especially poor games). 

Millwall forums view - 

Good shape so far

Watching some good stuff

Tell you what, if their keeper does that thing where he puts his foot on the ball like a ponce one more time, I hope someone cleans his ******* clock. - :laugh: what an odd thing to get wound up about. 

Good solid half. Gave them very little.

Not exactly blessed with much action, but after the last two results I would have expected a display like this come along, solid and under no real pressure from the home side.

We are doing the right thing in being very hard to break down and staying in the game.

Good half again......    .....If we press them a bit higher, we’ll win this.

A game for patience and our subs / finishers.  Don’t want to go hung-ho, Flemming, Bradshaw and Whatmore would love a load of open space on the counter to punish us.

Lets hope the starters tire out Millwall.

Honeyman and Knight have some of the best running stats in the Champ, could do with Jase dragging him out of the middle.

• Like 1