IGNORED

Nige

10 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So how would you balance the books? Reduce the squad and wage bill further and risk being relegated? The only way to make money is to get to the Prem.

That's the bit that SL has failed to do. Can't bring himself to speculate the additional funds needed to get to the promised land and so the model is one of significant loss mitigated by significant player sales. The problem is relying on the latter, and even then the latter is unlikely to cover the loss. NP quite rightly publicly criticised this flawed model in the earlier part of his tenure. Unfortunately those comments weren't lost on the regime but in the wrong way ie. instead of taking heed of NP's comments, they were offended & it was probably one of NP's black marks. Unfortunately SL's ego continues to get the better of him

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We're not much different to other Championship clubs, the players wage bill dominates the accounts. It's not going to make much difference making a few admin staff redundant.

I’d suggest you take a better view of our accounts versus other clubs.

3 minutes ago, JAWS said:

That's the bit that SL has failed to do. Can't bring himself to speculate the additional funds needed to get to the promised land and so the model is one of significant loss mitigated by significant player sales. The problem is relying on the latter, and even then the latter is unlikely to cover the loss. NP quite rightly publicly criticised this flawed model in the earlier part of his tenure. Unfortunately those comments weren't lost on the regime but in the wrong way ie. instead of taking heed of NP's comments, they were offended & it was probably one of NP's black marks. Unfortunately SL's ego continues to get the better of him

Surely if he speculates extra funds and the bet doesn't come off the accounts are in an even worse state? Isn't that what he tried with LJ?

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

agree it’s not my money which is why I appreciate so Steve spending his own dosh. Can’t argue with that. I think he could have done things differently and achieved a lot more. That’s my opinion as someone who has spent over 20 seasons watching what Steve has created.

Agreed, and I can’t argue with that either, to be honest. But I just remember the days in League One when we were doing literally nothing and think to myself, 'God, remember those days?'

He certainly could have made some better decisions, my God, he could have. But remember, he was also the person who employed GJ, Cotterill, and even Pearson (as this thread is about him). But, on the whole, he’s put the club in a better position than it could have been if he hadn’t bought it.

We are in a lucky position; our club is safe, and we ARE heading in the right direction. The simple fact is, the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I don’t see hordes of Bristolian billionaires queuing to buy the club.

I do agree some things could have been done differently or even not at all, but he certainly doesn’t deserve some of the vitriol he gets on here, and I’m a bit perplexed by what another owner would offer. The problem is, big chunks of our fanbase don’t know any different from what we’ve had. It’s like a kid born into wealth complaining about his life.

If anyone thinks another owner wouldn’t want to use Bristol City as a cash cow, you would be delusional. So for me, the most important thing about this football club is its long-term safety. That’s number one. And you aren’t getting a safer pair of hands.

With anything in life, you’re always going to get a rub with something good; nothing is perfect, but we’re hardly in a horrible place. I think some fans just need to check themselves.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Surely if he speculates wastes extra funds and the bet doesn't come off the accounts are in an even worse state? Isn't that what he tried indulged in  with LJ?

Moral of the story , give all your money to a bluffer and you are likely to lose it 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Surely if he speculates extra funds and the bet doesn't come off the accounts are in an even worse state? Isn't that what he tried with LJ?

Then the cycle will just continue.....

Every time we have got ourselves into.a promising position we have gone for  cheaper options & spent funds inefficiently, like when LJ was in charge.

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Soooo who pays the bills? 

We are in a pretty good position compared with most other head banging owners....get a grip.

And who racks up the bills in the first place …… you aren’t Jon by any chance???

Edited by BrizzleRed
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

This is one where the club don’t help themselves.

Including a picture or two of Nige who was manager for 10/12 of the year in a “year review” post would cost nothing, be sensible and had they done so, nobody would have commented. It wouldn’t have started a “we want NP back” movement which they maybe feared - but by omission, they’ve now drawn attention to their pettiness.

Clearly nobody at AG has heard of the Streisand effect.

The streisand effect? is that where the owners stick their big noses into everything :laugh:.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Audi alteram partem Latin for “llsten to the other side” It’s used in law as well with a slightly different phrasing “ no men should be condemned unheard”

I preferred my earlier (tongue-in-cheek) translation.

Venit super te reds.

30 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Or alternatively, if you speculate the funds at the right time and we make the jump up, we could be well away.  

Money paying for itself, rather than being pissed down the drain, so to speak.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not so much the other non football wages as the other costs tbh.

By which I mean non football costs..events do cost to put on but in 2021-22, 75-80% of wages were football.

Suppliers, outsourcing, energy efficiency maybe to name 3..do we get the best value here...

We maybe could save some money on those items you mentioned but it's not going to put much of a dent in our deficit surely? The major items on the balance sheet are player transfers and player wages.

3 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

We maybe could save some money on those items you mentioned but it's not going to put much of a dent in our deficit surely? The major items on the balance sheet are player transfers and player wages.

Until the accounts for AGL and the club are out we can't analyse for sure.

Would have to look again in a bit of depth at 2021-22 across the piece and try to extrapolate. Events clearly cost to stage as well- rising energy costs will hit all clubs.

44 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Out of interest which clubs? I am interested as what a base level cost of being a championship team is

Last years accounts, BCFC’s wages £23.8m were out of total costs of BC Holdings of £57.6m.  Even if we take Holdings wages (£30.8m) that’s a £25m+ gap to run the club.

Most clubs in the championship run more frugal “operations” than we do.  I appreciate AG do more stuff than just for City, but other clubs don’t see the necessity to run a cost operation like we do to be competitive in this division.

Coventry achieved the playoffs in £8m of “non wage costs”.  Luton got promoted on £7.3m of “non-wage costs”, Millwall up there until game 46 on £9m.

image.thumb.png.62eb016729f8d78957e3403b8b0f7f91.png

There are some bad examples, but we aren’t gonna measure ourselves against them are we…because everyone keeps saying how wonderful city are run.

I just happen to disagree! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Last years accounts, BCFC’s wages £23.8m were out of total costs of BC Holdings of £57.6m.  Even if we take Holdings wages (£30.8m) that’s a £25m+ gap to run the club.

Most clubs in the championship run more frugal “operations” than we do.  I appreciate AG do more stuff than just for City, but other clubs don’t see the necessity to run a cost operation like we do to be competitive in this division.

Coventry achieved the playoffs in £8m of “non wage costs”.  Luton got promoted on £7.3m of “non-wage costs”, Millwall up there until game 46 on £9m.

image.thumb.png.62eb016729f8d78957e3403b8b0f7f91.png

There are some bad examples, but we aren’t gonna measure ourselves against them are we…because everyone keeps saying how wonderful city are run.

I just happen to disagree! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Dave do you not have city in the same spreadsheet as the rest for easy comparison with the turnover as well

The culture of the club is rotten to the core. The thing is that the board seem oblivious to the fact that this kind of thing matters on the pitch. There are players who like and respect Nige, players he has encouraged and bought through. They will see how he has been treated and, however much they say it doesn’t, it will impact the way they think about BCFC. It tests their commitment to the club in a way which is beyond unnecessary. 
Staff will see it and it will change the way they do their job. They won’t want to take risks or challenge the club for fear they will be ‘cancelled’ and supporters will see it and they will fall out of love with the club. 
It’s childish, stupid and damaging but unfortunately it’s not a surprise. 

5 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Dave do you not have city in the same spreadsheet as the rest for easy comparison with the turnover as well

Yes I do, but as I’d given the actual numbers in the text, I didn’t bother including them again.  Turnover is £29.7m

Other expenses of over £11.3m for the Football Club alone that season, not including Depreciation and Amortisation either..feels too high

Screenshot_20240101-195340_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.644c8296cf947bf0110f0e281519a64c.jpg

AGL also making a pre tax loss that year even if a chunk of it deprecation that doesn't appear in the Club accounts should not be happening. That is a company that is or should be run bare minimum at breakeven.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 01/01/2024 at 01:32, Colombo Robin said:

Have enjoyed watching the games much more since he left. Thanks for the platform Nige which you indeed put well in place. 

Really !!!!

Which ones ?

Qpr, Borough,Norwich, Birmingham, Blackburn, Huddersfield or perhaps yesterday was the best of the lot.

• Like 2

On 01/01/2024 at 04:38, Colemanballs said:

Absolute twaddle. For starters, there is no statutory image right under UK law. None of the various methods used to try and enforce image rights (trade marks, copyright, passing off or performers rights) would prevent the club from posting online a photo in which they owned the copyright.

Who said anything about statutory IP rights, copyright infringement or anything else you list? I'm taking about contractual image rights.

These are often covered in a manager's contract and include (I'll paraphrase an actual clause from an EFL manager's contract) the right to use, in a club context, the manager's likeness in an electronic representation. For example a picture of him published on a club social media account.

That contract permits the club to use the manager's image during his employment. The presumption therefore is that when the employment ends so does the club's right to use the manager's image (unless a new or separate agreement is out in place).

If this is all twaddle then someone had better tell the EFL and all the footballers that they are waiting their time with image rights companies and agreements.