IGNORED

Nige

This latest childish display by the club just confirms one thing to me.  Whilst we get changes of managers or head coaches, nothing really changes at the top.

It’s a warning to anyone getting excited about the possibilty that three wins on the trot are signalling a new beginning.  Just remember, we still have the same owner and we are already reverting back to the ‘cozy club’ after dumping a highly experienced Manager and also a very experienced ex-Premier League CEO and replacing him with the yes man, social media maestro BT and his childish tweets.  Does that really signal a professional outfit who are going places?  

Sounds like another typical Lansdown rinse and repeat to me and after all these years under SL’s ownership, I sadly believe it’s unrealistic to anticipate him achieving anything more than he already has, when he still allows this amateurish nonsense to continue.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

This latest childish display by the club just confirms one thing to me.  Whilst we get changes of managers or head coaches, nothing really changes at the top.

It’s a warning to anyone getting excited about the possibilty that three wins on the trot are signalling a new beginning.  Just remember, we still have the same owner and we are already reverting back to the ‘cozy club’ after dumping a highly experienced Manager and also a very experienced ex-Premier League CEO and replacing him with the yes man, social media maestro BT and his childish tweets.  Does that really signal a professional outfit who are going places?  

Sounds like another typical Lansdown rinse and repeat to me and after all these years under SL’s ownership, I sadly believe it’s unrealistic to anticipate him achieving anything more than he already has, when he still allows this amateurish nonsense to continue.

We have to hope that Liam can deliver above expectation to negate the malaise “upstairs” although, in my view, he needs board backing and bang on recruitment, no mistakes (a tough ask for anyone tbf), to achieve that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We have to hope that Liam can deliver above expectation to negate the malaise “upstairs” although, in my view, he needs board backing and bang on recruitment, no mistakes (a tough ask for anyone tbf), to achieve that.

Certainly true it’ll be a tough ask.

Problem I see is, whatever is potentially achieved on the pitch, there’s always someone in the background who’s got an unerring ability to screw it all up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

Certainly true it’ll be a tough ask.

Problem I see is, whatever is potentially achieved on the pitch, there’s always someone in the background who’s got an unerring ability to screw it all up!

And that's the big worry, isn't it?

Fail to exercise proper governance over the club and to install suitably qualified people to run it. Get in an almighty mess through sheer negligence, in both football and financial terms, especially in regard to player recruitment. Sack the manager, fail to acknowledge any responsibility for having caused the situation in the first place, bring in a new man (or a succession of new men) to sort out the self-inflicted shambles. Eventually get the situation stabilised, usually necessitating the sale of your best players, and having wasted several years in stagnation in the process, at least in football terms. Then dispense with the guys who got you out of the hole you dug yourself into and start all over, usually with a young, so-called, up-and-coming coach (you hope) instead of someone of experience. Rinse and repeat. 

No wonder fans despair after two decades of watching this pattern repeat itself. Three wins on the trot don't disguise the accumulated evidence of the last twenty years.

• Like 3
  • Flames 5

12 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

What have altered Audi parts got to do with this?

Audi alteram partem Latin for “llsten to the other side” It’s used in law as well with a slightly different phrasing “ no men should be condemned unheard”

3 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

And that's the big worry, isn't it?

Fail to exercise proper governance over the club and to install suitably qualified people to run it. Get in an almighty mess through sheer negligence, in both football and financial terms, especially in regard to player recruitment. Sack the manager, fail to acknowledge any responsibility for having caused the situation in the first place, bring in a new man (or a succession of new men) to sort out the self-inflicted shambles. Eventually get the situation stabilised, usually necessitating the sale of your best players, and having wasted several years in stagnation in the process, at least in football terms. Then dispense with the guys who got you out of the hole you dug yourself into and start all over, usually with a young, so-called, up-and-coming coach (you hope) instead of someone of experience. Rinse and repeat. 

No wonder fans despair after two decades of watching this pattern repeat itself. Three wins on the trot don't disguise the accumulated evidence of the last twenty years.

Nail smashed squarely on head CC 👏

You can live in hope for so long, but the last bit of hope under this ownership drained out of me with the Pearson shenanigans.  

I’m sure our fortunes on the pitch will ebb and flow, but I’ve now got zero confidence that we can sustain any meaningful progress under SL.  

As for Premier League ……. no chance!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Nail smashed squarely on head CC 👏

You can live in hope for so long, but the last bit of hope under this ownership drained out of me with the Pearson shenanigans.  

I’m sure our fortunes on the pitch will ebb and flow, but I’ve now got zero confidence that we can sustain any meaningful progress under SL.  

As for Premier League ……. no chance!

Afraid I have to agree. I've been a supporter since school days, over 60 years, and probably always will be, but I am drained of all optimism now and can't see that changing unless and until this lot bugger off. They've become a liability and a complete and utter bloody nightmare. 

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

I doubt even Lansdown would dictate to the BBC who they bring as guests to the stadium.

Must try harder.

Well according to most deluded on here SL has control over everything...but you believe the ridiculous smear campaigns ....and whilst were at it who the Hell is going to make good the operating annual losses?

But we have to have hate figures on here, but the irony is you get your knickers in a twist, witness recent history, I doubt very much SL has any bad feelings towards Nigel or any other past manager, but it doesn't stop the old wimmin tittle tattle...Geez get behind the team and move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Afraid I have to agree. I've been a supporter since school days, over 60 years, and probably always will be, but I am drained of all optimism now and can't see that changing unless and until this lot bugger off. They've become a liability and a complete and utter bloody nightmare. 

Soooo who pays the bills? 

We are in a pretty good position compared with most other head banging owners....get a grip.

5 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Geez get behind the team and move on.

Why do you keep repeating things like this?

How many times are you told that everyone on here IS BEHIND THE FOOTBALL TEAM.

By all means keep defending SL if you like, but don’t use people’s moaning (justified or not) as a reason to trot out a lame retort that criticising the heirarchy means people aren’t behind the boys in red.

7 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Soooo who pays the bills? 

We are in a pretty good position compared with most other head banging owners....get a grip.

Who racked up the bills?

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

By all means keep defending SL if you like, but don’t use people’s moaning (justified or not) as a reason to trot out a lame retort that criticising the heirarchy means people aren’t behind the boys in red.

You sure about that because I see any loss just supports the view that Pearson should still be here....it's pretty obvious from matchday comments.

The hate figures are mounting up Steve, Jon, Tinnion, and of course Ashton Joey, Rishi, Rovers, I could go on...but one thing is clear you lot don't half bang on about stuff that has nothing to do with the team.

Anyway to repeat who would you have stump up £20m p.a to keep us solvent?

Edited by cotswoldred2
  • Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

You sure about that because I see any loss just supports the view that Pearson should still be here....it's pretty obvious from matchday comments.

The hate figures are mounting up Steve, Jon, Tinnion, and of course Ashton Joey, Rishi, Rovers, I could go on...but one thing is clear you lot don't bang on about stuff that has nothing to do with the team.

What we would all probably like is a Matthew Bentham type. Spends the dosh, keeps the club afloat and ACHIEVES something. Unfortunately we don’t have that and so people, whilst appreciating the money Steve puts in, do wonder whether £200m could have been better spent. As fans we are entitled to ask that question whilst supporting the manager and the team. We are also entitled to question the way a manager who was an integral part of getting us out of a FFFP hole without getting relegated was fired then cancelled………whilst supporting the current manager who has had a very decent start and the team who always work hard.

It really isn’t one or the other. You can support and question at the same time.

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who racked up the bills?

Well said fevs👌

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who racked up the bills?

Well……..Ashton immediately springs to mind…….:cool2: 

That said I assume that SL signed off whatever MA spent.

Plus….wages are an enormous drain on income and why Nige had to reduce the wage bill and also why the likes of Semenyo and Scott were sold - mind you they both wanted to go and increase their wedge considerably so their departure was sweet and sour for the club.

10 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

The hate figures are mounting up Steve, Jon, Tinnion, and of course Ashton Joey, Rishi, Rovers, I could go on...but one thing is clear you lot don't half bang on about stuff that has nothing to do with the team.

Could disagree more.  Most if not all people on here are smart enough to divorce the sacking of Nige from supporting the team on the day.  You appear to not be able to distinguish critique (win lose or draw) and jump to defend.

We bang in because it is relevant to the wider discussion our the football club.

Id rather the owner didn’t have to stump up £20m, or £30m had we not sold Antoine, by running it better…other clubs have achieved success in this division by running more effectively.  What a backhanded way of complimenting him.  Do you not have any critical analysis of the club, or do you just lap it up as “that’s the way it must be”?  I apologise that mine and others interest in the overall business means we don’t have the same view.🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well……..Ashton immediately springs to mind…….:cool2: 

That said I assume that SL signed off whatever MA spent.

Plus….wages are an enormous drain on income and why Nige had to reduce the wage bill and also why the likes of Semenyo and Scott were sold - mind you they both wanted to go and increase their wedge considerably so their departure was sweet and sour for the club.

I don’t even blame him…it’s collective blame, SL, JL, MA, LJ.

Its not wages / amortisation, it’s the rest of the cost base that does me.

We run a £35m business that costs £65m to run.  Who would Seriousky praise that, it’s effing bonkers.

+++++

FWIW I supported the idea of Bristol Sport - the operational bit (not the brand) - in terms of pooling resources to create operational efficiencies in the running of a multi-sport set-up, but I know from some who work there it is the opposite - inefficient and lacks accountability.

Edited by Davefevs

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What we would all probably like is a Matthew Bentham type. Spends the dosh, keeps the club afloat and ACHIEVES something. Unfortunately we don’t have that and so people, whilst appreciating the money Steve puts in, do wonder whether £200m could have been better spent. As fans we are entitled to ask that question whilst supporting the manager and the team. We are also entitled to question the way a manager who was an integral part of getting us out of a FFFP hole without getting relegated was fired then cancelled………whilst supporting the current manager who has had a very decent start and the team who always work hard.

It really isn’t one or the other. You can support and question at the same time.

The problem I have, is a little bit of what you’ve put here. Some people are acting like the £200m is their money! 

When Steve took us over, we were bumbling about in league one doing nothing except flirting with league 2. So we were EXTREMELY lucky that a billionaire bought us at all!! 

Steve has kept us afloat, has spent the dosh and has achieved something. We’re a solid championship club which is a million miles away from where we were. 

So basically what you’re say is, he’s not achieved the Premier League as quickly as we’d all have hoped? I agree with that, and of course we’d like to have made it there sooner, but football really isn’t that simple is it.

You really won’t get a safer pair of hands than SL and JL as they genuinely love this club and the City. JL is an actual supporter.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Breaking News: Man pays money required to fund thing he owns. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Well that's inconvenient, doesn't fit the narrative on here.

No disrespect but I can’t help feeling you have either not read the thread or perhaps read it but not fully understood the point being made.

The point being made with Cotts was that, after he left and once LJ was in charge, there was very little mention or acknowledgement of his role in our promotion season.

However that was almost a decade ago. Managers have been and gone and a lot has happened, not least the outpouring of concern when Cotts was very ill two or three years ago.

In this case, a media company rather than the club have invited Cotts back but, even if the club did - which would not be a surprise at all many years later - it still would not be relevant to the question of whether Cotts’ role was acknowledged during the reign of his successor. Just as the club might very well invite Pearson back as a guest in 5 or 10 years time and it wouldn’t change the lack of acknowledgment now.

Edited by LondonBristolian

2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

The problem I have, is a little bit of what you’ve put here. Some people are acting like the £200m is their money! 

When Steve took us over, we were bumbling about in league one doing nothing except flirting with league 2. So we were EXTREMELY lucky that a billionaire bought us at all!! 

Steve has kept us afloat, has spent the dosh and has achieved something. We’re a solid championship club which is a million miles away from where we were. 

So basically what you’re say is, he’s not achieved the Premier League as quickly as we’d all have hoped? I agree with that, of course we’d like to have to there sooner, but football really isn’t that simple is it.

You really won’t get a safer pair of hands than SL and JL as they genuinely love this club and the City. JL is an actual supporter.

I agree it’s not my money which is why I appreciate so Steve spending his own dosh. Can’t argue with that. I think he could have done things differently and achieved a lot more. That’s my opinion as someone who has spent over 20 seasons watching what Steve has created. That’s not unreasonable imo.

I was responding to a poster who clearly believes you should not question anything and thank your lucky stars that Steve has spent similar to other owners (if not more tbf) and achieved less (also spent similar to others and hasn’t almost bankrupted the club too for balance).

I think Steve could have achieved more with his money, that’s my view as a supporter.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t even blame him…it’s collective blame, SL, JL, MA, LJ.

Its not wages / amortisation, it’s the rest of the cost base that does me.

We run a £35m business that costs £65m to run.  Who would Seriousky praise that, it’s effing bonkers.

+++++

FWIW I supported the idea of Bristol Sport - the operational bit (not the brand) - in terms of pooling resources to create operational efficiencies in the running of a multi-sport set-up, but I know from some who work there it is the opposite - inefficient and lacks accountability.

So how would you balance the books? Reduce the squad and wage bill further and risk being relegated? The only way to make money is to get to the Prem.

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So how would you balance the books? Reduce the squad and wage bill further and risk being relegated? The only way to make money is to get to the Prem.

No, firstly, i’d reduce a load of the other costs outside of the playing / coaching staff.  I’d recruit better too.  I’m not suggesting it being run at break even, but do you think it’s acceptable to run at an operational loss of £30m p.a. (£25m ish in a 12 month financial year)?  I don’t.  I think it’s shocking.  I think it’s wasteful.  Especially when the playing budget has been cut already.  What is the rest of the “empire” doing?

Because running at a £25m operational loss, hamstrings your playing capability, which is why we’ve struggled to kick on?

Don’t you have some semblance of critique for the way we e lost, and lost and lost, money?

1 hour ago, cotswoldred2 said:

Well according to most deluded on here SL has control over everything...but you believe the ridiculous smear campaigns ....and whilst were at it who the Hell is going to make good the operating annual losses?

But we have to have hate figures on here, but the irony is you get your knickers in a twist, witness recent history, I doubt very much SL has any bad feelings towards Nigel or any other past manager, but it doesn't stop the old wimmin tittle tattle...Geez get behind the team and move on. 

Using sexism in your post usnt a good look.

Must try harder.

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, firstly, i’d reduce a load of the other costs outside of the playing / coaching staff.  I’d recruit better too.  I’m not suggesting it being run at break even, but do you think it’s acceptable to run at an operational loss of £30m p.a. (£25m ish in a 12 month financial year)?  I don’t.  I think it’s shocking.  I think it’s wasteful.  Especially when the playing budget has been cut already.  What is the rest of the “empire” doing?

Because running at a £25m operational loss, hamstrings your playing capability, which is why we’ve struggled to kick on?

Don’t you have some semblance of critique for the way we e lost, and lost and lost, money?

We're not much different to other Championship clubs, the players wage bill dominates the accounts. It's not going to make much difference making a few admin staff redundant.