IGNORED

Nige

22 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

So how would you balance the books? Reduce the squad and wage bill further and risk being relegated? The only way to make money is to get to the Prem.

That's a myth. Show me a single Premier League club that doesn't lose money.

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Who said anything about statutory IP rights, copyright infringement or anything else you list? I'm taking about contractual image rights.

These are often covered in a manager's contract and include (I'll paraphrase an actual clause from an EFL manager's contract) the right to use, in a club context, the manager's likeness in an electronic representation. For example a picture of him published on a club social media account.

That contract permits the club to use the manager's image during his employment. The presumption therefore is that when the employment ends so does the club's right to use the manager's image (unless a new or separate agreement is out in place).

If this is all twaddle then someone had better tell the EFL and all the footballers that they are waiting their time with image rights companies and agreements.

First of all, apologies for the use of the word twaddle. That was uncalled for.

I am right though. It's something I have to know about for my work. A person who is photographed has no rights to prevent the photograph from being used except in very limited cases that don't apply here. How do you think paparazzi get away with what they do? Image rights in the UK generally relate to merchandise for sale and are predominantly protected by use of the doctrine of passing off. 

If such a clause exists in manager contracts, I can only assume that it is some kind of "belt and braces" wording. If football contracts are anything like those in the entertainment industry, they will certainly contain a lot of language that is superfluous.

4 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's a myth. Show me a single Premier League club that doesn't lose money.

Sorry to be boring, but broadcast revenues are so high that many PL clubs are profitable.  So it's not a myth.

This research paper is quite recent but only uses data from the 2021/22 season and the general picture has improved quite a lot since then (I'm sure other posters can elobarate).  Fig 4 shows seven clubs with a positive "adjusted EBIT" in that particular year.  

It doesn't show a similar table for Championship clubs, but you can compare Figs 2 and 3 which show wages as a % of income (or Figs 5 and 6 which also take account of amortisation) and these clearly show Championship club finances in a far worse state than PL clubs.  The authors note that "overspending on wages is a prevalent strategy in a league whose successful teams get promoted to the Premier League".

2 minutes ago, red panda said:

Sorry to be boring, but broadcast revenues are so high that many PL clubs are profitable.  So it's not a myth.

This research paper is quite recent but only uses data from the 2021/22 season and the general picture has improved quite a lot since then (I'm sure other posters can elobarate).  Fig 4 shows seven clubs with a positive "adjusted EBIT" in that particular year.  

It doesn't show a similar table for Championship clubs, but you can compare Figs 2 and 3 which show wages as a % of income (or Figs 5 and 6 which also take account of amortisation) and these clearly show Championship club finances in a far worse state than PL clubs.  The authors note that "overspending on wages is a prevalent strategy in a league whose successful teams get promoted to the Premier League".

Thanks, apologies if I don't read all of that. Interesting that Kieren Maguire is one of the authors. It is from Price of Football pod that I got my information, where Kieren constantly says that no Premier League clubs (except Spurs and Newcastle under Ashley) actually turn a profit.

Owners buy them to flip them for a profit a few years later. No one buys a non Premier club to make money and few succeed in the PL.

So the myth of us getting promoted and making a ton of money is a myth (Luton spent something like 20 million on ground improvements which would bite into any profit) unless we do a Norwich and go up, not spend a pound (except ground improvements to PL standards) and come back down. From a fans point of view what is the point and fun of that ?

I reckon Brentford will be turning a profit but time will tell.

£30m before tax in 2021-22..now that level won't be repeated, costs will have risen but so too did Prize money last year.

Brighton might owing to the huge sales and the rising League position.

Man United should but don't, Man City do these days but how much Commercial Revenue is pumped up.

Burnley were impeccably run prior to takeover, profits most years and a huge Cash Balance. A drastically reduced Cash Balance now for sure.

Liverpool usually do but maybe not that major.

Tottenham don't now or haven't in the last couple of seasons.

Remember too, are we talking Profit Before Tax or Cash Flow type positivity, in a sense profit.

On 31/12/2023 at 14:51, BCFC31 said:

Apologies for another nige post but I noticed the Instagram post from the club recapping 2023 didn't include one photo of nigel in it! Yet manning is in there! Nigel managed this club for 10 months in 2023 for god sake. For me that's really distasteful! I am fully behind manning and like most I can see the improvements made on the pitch but pearson had given manning a very good platform in which to build from. He handed over a very committed close knit group of players and put some really strong foundations in place when quite frankly the club was on its knees, it was a total mess after the johnson and ashton era he is right when he said in his interviews " people won't recognise what we have done until I'm gone " it's a shame the club doesn't seem to respect or acknowledge the hard work he put into turning this club around from the bottom up with out pearson mannings prospects here would look totally different. Anyway happy new year all ! 

Some interesting Photoshop in there…😁

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Get in Nige...love it. 

Clever, has class...can run rings mentally around our board. 

Wasted on a sub forum. 

Could run rings around our media department too by the looks of that!

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Thanks for sharing Max

Made me laugh , slightly sad  but overall it just reaffirms that burning impression of what a top bloke he is

“Top bloke” captures him perfectly.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Thanks for sharing Max

Made me laugh , slightly sad  but overall it just reaffirms that burning impression of what a top bloke he is

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

People person / pearson 

Not sure I've mentioned this before, but my cousin is a volunteer driver for City, and drove Nige around a lot.

What he's said to family absolutely underlines what you two have said.

• Like 8