IGNORED

The FA CUp

Robbored

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Obviously, a cup run is lots of fun, but I agree that the Cup Final Day - as a national spectacle - isn't what it was.

I don't think I've watched an FA Cup final for 15-20 years. In the 70s, I went to every one! Even in my early 80s "Goth lord" phase, when my interest in football waned, I still watched the Cup finals. 

That doesn't mean if by some miracle we manage to beat the cockney wankahs, I'll not be buying tickets for the next round. 

I remember cycling across Taunton to my then girlfriend`s house on the afternoon of the Arsenal v Man Utd 3-2 game in 1979 and not seeing a soul on the streets and no cars on the roads.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember cycling across Taunton to my then girlfriend`s house on the afternoon of the Arsenal v Man Utd 3-2 game in 1979 and not seeing a soul on the streets and no cars on the roads.

I remember (trying to) recreating Alan Sunderland’s goal over the fields afterwards.

• Like 1

When I was a kid it was massive and a rare occasion I'd happily stay in as it was an all day thing.
From FA Cup breakfast with the teams , their journey in , it's a knockout and FA Cup QoS it was brilliant.
Finally realised I'd lost interest when I took the Mrs down to Burnham beach rather than watch Man U Vs Millwall.

Best way of getting the big teams interested , make it a Champions League spot for the winners.
WTF point is "winning" 4th spot anyway ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I want to see City reach the quarter final for the first time in 50 years. Is that too much to ask?

It's not is it ? A mid table championship side with a bit of luck should be able to get near it now and then.

The last time we did it was 2 months before I was born ! Even they managed it once in that time.

2 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sadly the last FA Cup final I watched at Wembley. Memorable for being treated to a pint of Watneys Red Barrel after the game - something that meant I'd never try bitter again for 5 years!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Manchester City did in the FA Cup.

If you're referring to the Carabao Cup games, that is a different competition with different rules only requiring a 10% away allocation. 

My bad , I do believe though the old bill can have there two penneth worth if they feel there’s gonna be a problem ,

so if we did draw them at there dump we would probably get no more than 1100k

On 03/01/2024 at 11:36, redkev said:

Totally agree , knowing how our club is run nowadays we would give them the whole of the Atyeo 🙈

But where would we put the 40,000 who'd be locked out if the ground?

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

But where would we put the 40,000 who'd be locked out if the ground?

They would be stuck in the tunnel somewhere that they always go in to get to south Bristol , never see them on the streets anywhere 

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 21:02, redkev said:

My bad , I do believe though the old bill can have there two penneth worth if they feel there’s gonna be a problem ,

so if we did draw them at there dump we would probably get no more than 1100k

Plus most pubs from the arches to Filton roundabout I reckon that could be arranged 😁

On 03/01/2024 at 16:51, Kingswood Robin said:

It's not is it ? A mid table championship side with a bit of luck should be able to get near it now and then.

The last time we did it was 2 months before I was born ! Even they managed it once in that time.

Considering we have made the semi-finals of the League Cup 3 times in my lifetime it does seem strange we do so badly in the FA Cup.

5 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Plus most pubs from the arches to Filton roundabout I reckon that could be arranged 😁

Remember a few years back Rovers got an escourt from the bull dog to the Mem as there were loads of city in the fellowship and the Gainsborough and other little mobs of city fans on the junction of muller road by The lights , I had a mate down from Manchester he couldn’t believe that city fans were all over there area and getting an escourt from the pub to your own ground 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, redkev said:

Remember a few years back Rovers got an escourt from the bull dog to the Mem as there were loads of city in the fellowship and the Gainsborough and other little mobs of city fans on the junction of muller road by The lights , I had a mate down from Manchester he couldn’t believe that city fans were all over there area and getting an escourt from the pub to your own ground 😂😂😂

These days you’d have the wets with their ‘Beckham shirts’ 🤣 and holding their girlfriends hand 🤣

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

So to bump this thread, how many there today were “bothered” when TC equalised?

I certainly was.

I was wondering if anyone changed their minds, maybe not but for me it’s a competition that can just give you memories that last a lifetime.

Plus I don’t think we’re going up or down this season so why not?

7 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I was wondering if anyone changed their minds, maybe not but for me it’s a competition that can just give you memories that last a lifetime.

Plus I don’t think we’re going up or down this season so why not?

It's gonna be sad when they get rid of FA cup replays as it takes away precious memories like these. Yea we could have gone on and won if there was extra time but we could also have lost too. 

Now we've got fantastic memories of a score draw away at a top 6 side who hold a European trophy and have the chance if doing them at Ashton Gate which should be a great occasion. 

Yea the PL may throw some money at lower league clubs to make up for the lost income from the replays, but that's kinda irrelevant if you're all getting X amount extra. But these round 3 and round 4 replays are priceless in my opinion and should be protected at all costs. 

Sorry but I don't have any sympathy about clubs wanting a break for some warm weather training in Dubai. It won't be long until they are using that break for some lucrative friendlies around the world. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It's gonna be sad when they get rid of FA cup replays as it takes away precious memories like these. Yea we could have gone on and won if there was extra time but we could also have lost too. 

Now we've got fantastic memories of a score draw away at a top 6 side who hold a European trophy and have the chance if doing them at Ashton Gate which should be a great occasion. 

Yea the PL may throw some money at lower league clubs to make up for the lost income from the replays, but that's kinda irrelevant if you're all getting X amount extra. But these round 3 and round 4 replays are priceless in my opinion and should be protected at all costs. 

Sorry but I don't have any sympathy about clubs wanting a break for some warm weather training in Dubai. It won't be long until they are using that break for some lucrative friendlies around the world. 

As someone on a podcast said - if the PL clubs are so worried about replays they could always...you know...win the initial game. We were up against a West Ham who have a budget some four or five times bigger than ours, with players who are at the peak of the game and a squad far deeper than ours.

Just beat us. Just win. It should be simple and you shouldn't need extra time or penalties.

If you can't, then we deserve our replay.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Yes, I was wondering if this might be our last ever FA cup replay. Sad if it is 

5 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes, I was wondering if this might be our last ever FA cup replay. Sad if it is 

The reality is that most clubs in the Premier League want to keep it a closed shop and the same could be said for their attitude to the FA Cup. The “romance of the cup” may have been overplayed in the past, but at least there is the risk of an upset and a giant-killing, all of which must be a complete anathema to American owners brought up owning franchises.