IGNORED

The FA CUp

Robbored

It’d interesting to see what others think of it. 

For years the FA Cup was the second most important trophy to win after the league title and when City got knocked out of it there was a feeling of disappointment. However these days I won’t be too bothered if City lose on Sunday as for me the FA Cup has lost much of its prestige. After all City are extremely unlikely to actually win it!

That said I appreciate that income from a cup run is always a bonus and good for club finances along with morale both on and off the pitch but I can’t think of many other benefits. 

Going back to the days of LJ and the League cup run. Whilst that was enjoyable it kinda took priority over the Championship fixtures with players not wanting (subconsciously) to want to risk injury and that had to effect performances in games that really mattered - the Championship games.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

The 7 FA Cup and League Cup games brought in £447,257 last season. 

The 2 we played in the prior season brought just £34,769.

When you lose roughly £20m per season, an extra £0.4m is not insignificant.

It's more than just a "bonus" even at our level. We should absolutely want to progress, and get home draws against opposition that will fill AG.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Yeah let’s sack it off so we can can concentrate on our absolutely thrilling league season. 

We’re 4 points off a play off place.

That said, we definitely shouldn’t be sacking off the FA Cup for the sake of the league. 
Really looking forward to Sunday, hopefully it’s a great cup tie. 

I agree that the FA Cup is not as important as it it used to be. In my mind it is entirely the fault of the Chamions League. When only the League winners qualified for the European Cup it meant that winning the FA cup was an important route into European Football so that the prestige and glamour of the competition was preserved.

As soon as 4th place in the league became more important the top teams stopped taking the Cup seriously which severly undermined the competition in the eyes of the public.

Unfortunately I see no way back for the prestige of the competition now as too much damage has been done.

I should also point out that, in the season of the League Cup run, results didn't really turn against us until we had been knocked out so if anything the opposite to what you describe is true.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Over the years it feels like we have suffered from more than our fair share of rubbish cup draws, this looks to be the most exciting 3rd round draw for 30 years so pleased for that and especially in midtable seasons the cup runs can be welcome distractions.

• Sad 1

It's a free hit for us and sure most would settle for us to give a good showing. Good for the players as well to play at a a PL ground in front of a big crowd with no pressure on them.

West ham have 2 of their best players missing and will prob rest others including Bowen so you never know.

Edited by Super

I get the larger teams such as Man City etc not prioritising the FA Cup - it’s the third biggest trophy they’re going for so that follows logic. However when you get down to teams like Palace (for example) not taking it as seriously as the league that’s just mental - it’s one of their best chances of a trophy.

And on a similar basis, I know we’re not going to win it. But on the 20th December every year the Man U game is posted. There is an FPA reunion of the Liverpool team this month. Those things don’t happen for (for example) where we played excellently to beat Derby at home a few years ago 4-1, or the 5-0 win at Swansea in 1990. They happen because we remember the games, because they were memorable games and will be forever. And if we’d beaten Man City last season it’d have been added to the list.

Top 6 prem can sack it off a bit if they like. Fans don’t remember 12th in the premier league. They remember trophies and I can’t understand why so many teams don’t see it as a real chance to win something.

I even recall a few years ago Fulham resting players for a UEFA cup game because they were focussing on qualifying for Europe…!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

The 7 FA Cup and League Cup games brought in £447,257 last season. 

The 2 we played in the prior season brought just £34,769.

When you lose roughly £20m per season, an extra £0.4m is not insignificant.

It's more than just a "bonus" even at our level. We should absolutely want to progress, and get home draws against opposition that will fill AG.

Rovers with their massive away following 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I agree that the FA Cup is not as important as it it used to be. In my mind it is entirely the fault of the Chamions League. When only the League winners qualified for the European Cup it meant that winning the FA cup was an important route into European Football so that the prestige and glamour of the competition was preserved.

As soon as 4th place in the league became more important the top teams stopped taking the Cup seriously which severly undermined the competition in the eyes of the public.

Unfortunately I see no way back for the prestige of the competition now as too much damage has been done.

I should also point out that, in the season of the League Cup run, results didn't really turn against us until we had been knocked out so if anything the opposite to what you describe is true.

All sadly true. FA Cup day was a full special day when I was a kid.

Personally I wish that a Champions League place was awarded to the FA Cup winners rather than 4th place in the Prem.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Going back to the days of LJ and the League cup run. Whilst that was enjoyable it kinda took priority over the Championship fixtures with players not wanting (subconsciously) to want to risk injury and that had to effect performances in games that really mattered - the Championship games.

Not sure about that?

Our League form and performances leading up to Christmas was superb, helped I think by the run in the League Cup and the Man Utd game. The only game that may have been a distraction could have been the Man City semi final but even then we had big games against Wolves, Norwich and Villa around the same time.

January that season was absolutely packed with games and I think a sudden run of defeats in the League, FA Cup and The League Cup semi just destroyed our confidence and our performances went downhill from that point on. Funny how it also coincided with LJ suddenly having more choice in the starting line up and the ability to tinker rather than make do with the options available as we had to before Christmas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Calculus said:

All sadly true. FA Cup day was a full special day when I was a kid.

It was.

FA Cup semi final day was also big with 2 live matches at neutral grounds on TV on the same Sunday. 
I don’t think I’ve watched an actual FA Cup final since Liverpool vs West Ham in 200? and I can’t even tell you who the current holders are? 🤣

• Like 1

• Admin
48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

For years the FA Cup was the second most important trophy to win after the league title and when City got knocked out of it there was a feeling of disappointment. However these days I won’t be too bothered if City lose on Sunday as for me the FA Cup has lost much of its prestige. After all City are extremely unlikely to actually win it!

That said I appreciate that income from a cup run is always a bonus and good for club finances along with morale both on and off the pitch but I can’t think of many other benefits. 

Did you hicCUp when you were typing this?

image.png

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

To be fair...you know they'd all come crawling out of the woodwork if the two clubs were drawn against each other!

Bristol City v Bristol Rovers would absolutely sell out AG.

Totally agree , knowing how our club is run nowadays we would give them the whole of the Atyeo 🙈

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 2

I love the FA cup and refuse to give up on it.

The league can get boring, especially when you’ve been in the same 2 divisions for almost 40 years and most of them years our season is pretty much over by February.

When I look back on my time supporting City most highlights are both FA and league cup games, Rovers away, Forest x2 Liverpool x 2 1/2, Man Utd, Man City x3  as well as some interesting fixtures v smaller clubs we haven’t played for ages. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Obviously, a cup run is lots of fun, but I agree that the Cup Final Day - as a national spectacle - isn't what it was.

I don't think I've watched an FA Cup final for 15-20 years. In the 70s, I went to every one! Even in my early 80s "Goth lord" phase, when my interest in football waned, I still watched the Cup finals. 

That doesn't mean if by some miracle we manage to beat the cockney wankahs, I'll not be buying tickets for the next round. 

54 minutes ago, Super said:

It's a free hit for us and sure most would settle for us to give a good showing. Good for the players as well to play at a a PL ground in front of a big crowd with no pressure on them.

West ham have 2 of their best players missing and will prob rest others including Bowen so you never know.

If we play like we did away to Watford then it’ll be a free hit and a great experience for the players and fans alike regardless of the score.. if we front up like we did in the two games since then it will be utterly demoralising for the players and the rest of us.

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Obviously, a cup run is lots of fun, but I agree that the Cup Final Day - as a national spectacle - isn't what it was.

I don't think I've watched an FA Cup final for 15-20 years. In the 70s, I went to every one! Even in my early 80s "Goth lord" phase, when my interest in football waned, I still watched the Cup finals. 

That doesn't mean if by some miracle we manage to beat the cockney wankahs, I'll not be buying tickets for the next round. 

Tbh RR without looking it up I wouldn’t know who won the FA Cup last season - a definite reflection in how much interest I take in it these days.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I want to see City reach the quarter final for the first time in 50 years. Is that too much to ask?

• Haha 1

I’m going with hope of being entertained win or lose a ground I haven’t been too , I have a few hammers mates from days of old I’m meeting up with for a few pints and believe it or not 6 of us are in with the claret and blue boys , we’ll be cheering our lot on but my hopes are as said a decent game not to worried about result, hope rest of you enjoy and make plenty of noise 

The problem with the FA Cup is that in the past 30 years it’s mainly been won by a small cabal of clubs including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United, who have pretty much monopolised it, buoyed up by Champions League riches, while also winning other cups. Therefore it has become a lot less special. Just look at how many times the league and cup double was achieved before the Premier League started and how many times since.

However to clubs such as Leicester, Wigan, Portsmouth and even Everton who have won the FA Cup during the last 30 years, it would remain a highlight for fans. It also stands in direct contrast to the 70s and 80s, which was a golden period for wins by the unfancied underdogs - Sunderland, Southampton, West Ham, Coventry and Wimbledon, the first 3 of which won it while playing in the Second Division. The chances of a Championship side winning the FA Cup now (even one just relegated and with parachute payments) are less than zero!