IGNORED

Max O’Leary

9 hours ago, The Bard said:

Et tu Selred?

No one has said double FA about the defenders ball watching.  Apparently that's because Bowen is class.  But heaven forbid the goalkeeper not immediately reading his defence's specific mistake and rectifying it.

I said in an earlier tweet the defenders were ball watching hence why I said partially. I guess you can just say he was hesitant when the ball came over but taking nothing away from Bowen and his movement. I’m one of Max’s biggest fans so I don’t want it to come across that I’m scapegoating him

9 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

O'Shea praising him to the heavens on MotD just now.

Shea Given?

Knows what he's talking about.  

One thing I found interesting about team selection yesterday was all the more experienced players were on the bench.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Shea Given?

Knows what he's talking about.  

One thing I found interesting about team selection yesterday was all the more experienced players were on the bench.  

Went for legs imho.

Williams and TGH in CM was a good choice imho.

I do wonder if it’s a “changing of the guard” / sliding doors moment for Matty James?

• Like 4

Lot comments I often read and hear is that Max is not a championship standard keeper.

Do not know how the level is being set but I would rather have Max between the sticks than that clown Man Ure signed for 43 Million Andre Onana.

Total showman and calamity slmost every game. what would Max be replaced by that would be an upgrade. 
Max is pretty solid, every keeper will make odd mistake 

31 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Lot comments I often read and hear is that Max is not a championship standard keeper.

Do not know how the level is being set but I would rather have Max between the sticks than that clown Man Ure signed for 43 Million Andre Onana.

Total showman and calamity slmost every game. what would Max be replaced by that would be an upgrade. 

I think the fact that goalkeeping has changed makes it confusing. Max seems to me a very modern style keeper. Commanding your box and claiming crosses now seems far less important than the ability to play the ball, start moves and be quick about it. 
I like him and never understand all the fuss. Realistically there’s no reason he shouldn’t be our keeper for many years to come. 
I’m happy to go with Shay Given’s view! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bearded_red said:

Just a perfectly good goalkeeper for the level we play at, and much better value for money than the guy he replaced.

I remain really confused as to why this seems to be such a controversial view.

It can be dependant on what your consideration of perfectly good is.

For a team playing out through the thirds, playing a form of possession football, and using varying formations in possession O'Leary's passing accuracy is low. Its not Frankie Fielding low, but it is low, and this could inhibit the teams efficiency and tactical flexibility. 

Edited by Cowshed

I didnt see an outstaning perfromance. Two shots right at him. He didnt move.

The goal, he was very poor (aswell as our back line)

For me, he's one of our weaker players.

We need at least some real competition for him

• Haha 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

Ive got some issues with MoL but I think we also compare him to bentley a lot. Bentley was a class shot stopper and saved us in a fair amount of games, but his distribution was poor.

Max has great reflexes, but I think his positioning could be better at times.

The goal (in my opinion) came from dickie not noticing bowens run, in the replay it looks like he's completely caught out by it all. Partly because bowen hides his run so well.

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I didnt see an outstaning perfromance. Two shots right at him. He didnt move.

The goal, he was very poor (aswell as our back line)

For me, he's one of our weaker players.

We need at least some real competition for him

That is incredibly harsh to say they were straight at him, he had to react to push the one from Fornals away from danger and the one Pring almost put into his own net (presumably the one you’re talking about?) he had to be decisive on where the ball has to go and he was able to block and get it away from danger

I think the same people criticising him for the goal would be even more vocal if he touched Bowen and given a pen and poss red card?. Some people need someone to blame every week, and Max gets way too much criticism imo. Yes he has his flaws, it's why he is playing in the Championship for us.

Not sure what some fans expect, some criticisms yesterday for not being on par with West Ham in the first half was ridiculous, especially the National League comments, lazy players etc.

Can't remember who said it but imagine how these same people would cope if we somehow managed to go up and come up against a better side/players pretty much every single week. Imagine those match threads....

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

28 minutes ago, TheReds said:

I think the same people criticising him for the goal would be even more vocal if he touched Bowen and given a pen and poss red card?. Some people need someone to blame every week, and Max gets way too much criticism imo. Yes he has his flaws, it's why he is playing in the Championship for us.

Not sure what some fans expect, some criticisms yesterday for not being on par with West Ham in the first half was ridiculous, especially the National League comments, lazy players etc.

Can't remember who said it but imagine how these same people would cope if we somehow managed to go up and come up against a better side/players pretty much every single week. Imagine those match threads....

Caught a long ball played from fifty metres away from goal and was met by a West Ham player twelve metres from goal. If Max O'leary's starting position was not extremely deep (in the six yard box) he catches, or punches that ball.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I think he is. Just a bottom half championship keeper.

If we want to be a top 6 side, we need better IMO.

• Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, Riaz said:

I think he is. Just a bottom half championship keeper.

If we want to be a top 6 side, we need better IMO.

On the basis we have a defence worthy of a top six side and we are not leaking goals, I fail to see how replacing Max is up for discussion at this point in time.

The route to becoming a top six side is by scoring more goals. It's the play in the final third that needs to be better, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

On the basis we have a defence worthy of a top six side and we are not leaking goals, I fail to see how replacing Max is up for discussion at this point in time.

The route to becoming a top six side is by scoring more goals. It's the play in the final third that needs to be better, IMO.

I didnt say his was the only position we need to improve on.

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

I will have a pop at that one, Onana is not a clown, and neither was De Gea. Onana's abilty with his feet is high, very high, Onana is struggling with Man U's build up play and so did De Gea. It could be that its Man U's tactics, the complex build up play that is fundamentally problematic for Man Utd. 

1 hour ago, halestone said:

Ive got some issues with MoL but I think we also compare him to bentley a lot. Bentley was a class shot stopper and saved us in a fair amount of games, but his distribution was poor.

Max has great reflexes, but I think his positioning could be better at times.

The goal (in my opinion) came from dickie not noticing bowens run, in the replay it looks like he's completely caught out by it all. Partly because bowen hides his run so well.

For me, Max is a better keeper than Bentley, and has been for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's important to have balance.

He had a very good game yesterday, but also was slow for the goal and basically stood still. 

He has also had some poor performances for us and conceded a few goals he should of easily saved.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. In my opinion he's still below average for Championship, but more performances like y'day my opinion will change. 

5 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Absolutely no chance. Bentley would regularly make match winning saves.

Which Max doesn't? Being a 'good shot stopper' is surely a minimum requirement to be considered a professional keeper, and many of Bentley's last ditch 'brilliant' stops/saves were down to his own indecision and failure to take charge of the situation. The amount of time we spent defending on the six yard line was unbelievable. I think our defence now has much more confidence in Max than they did Bentley.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Absolutely no chance. Bentley would regularly make match winning saves.

Bentley was an exceptional shot stopper but rarely commanded his 6 yard box and was far worse than Max under the high ball. I think Max is a good keeper behind the 4th best defence in the league. The priority is for a goalscorer, winger and attacking midfielder.....keeper is the least of our worries. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Which Max doesn't? Being a 'good shot stopper' is surely a minimum requirement to be considered a professional keeper, and many of Bentley's last ditch 'brilliant' stops/saves were down to his own indecision and failure to take charge of the situation. The amount of time we spent defending on the six yard line was unbelievable. I think our defence now has much more confidence in Max than they did Bentley.

I see alot of indecision with max. And i dont see many match winning saves from max. I dont include those saves where he does not move. Thats luck.

Theres a reason he was behind Bentley.

Not writing him off totally - but he is very average for this level.

19 minutes ago, Selred said:

I think it's important to have balance.

He had a very good game yesterday, but also was slow for the goal and basically stood still. 

He has also had some poor performances for us and conceded a few goals he should of easily saved.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. In my opinion he's still below average for Championship, but more performances like y'day my opinion will change. 

Mr Manning likes principles. 

Applying defensive principles like D for denying space, and D for dictate O'leary was not stood still, he was stood in entirely the wrong place in relation to where the ball was. When the ball, is that far from goal if he starts from the penalty spot he denies space to the opposition behind the CB's, and dictates what occurs in HIS box.

To concede a goal to a long pass travelling 35 metres plus landing on the penalty spot for an opponent to control it with their feet, without intervention of a CB's head, or the keepers gloves is kids and and Sunday league stuff.