IGNORED

Liam Pre PNE

Malago

Just now, Davefevs said:

Decent interview.  I think he’s getting used to the journos and vice-versa.

It's like chalk and cheese compared to the interviews in his first week. Much more relaxed, and you can see that he's got a bit of a sense of humour.

• Like 2

Best press conference so far. 

I am a little concerned to hear that we are looking to send players out on loan. Better appoint that loans physio again! 

I did have concerns when we brought Manning in that he wouldn't be so willing to field young players despite his experience in youth football. My feeling is he doesn't trust young players in the same way Nige did. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I am a little concerned to hear that we are looking to send players out on loan. Better appoint that loans physio again! 

I did have concerns when we brought Manning in that he wouldn't be so willing to field young players despite his experience in youth football. My feeling is he doesn't trust young players in the same way Nige did. 

Manning places a lot of trust in what BT thinks about various younger players and quite right to. BT has been involved with the academy pretty much since he hung his boots up (apart from his short spell as manager of course) and will have far more in depth knowledge of the academy players and Manning clearly respects his input.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 1

22 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And look what Nige did with vyner and pring he stuck by them and never shunted them out the door,Ok not all young players make it but sometimes they progress quicker staying where they are around better players,I'm not sure I like what I'm reading but as they say time will tell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Street red said:

And look what Nige did with vyner and pring he stuck by them and never shunted them out the door,Ok not all young players make it but sometimes they progress quicker staying where they are around better players,I'm not sure I like what I'm reading but as they say time will tell.

There’s ‘giving young players a chance’ then there’s playing a 17yo clearly out of his depth in a senior Championship team thinking he has to prove something. Both players you mention were out on loan until well into their 20s before they played for City

Edited by CityReds
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Manning places a lot of trust in what BT thinks about various younger players and quite right to. BT has been involved with the academy pretty much since he hung his boots up....

You do know that after he was sacked in 2005 he had no involvement with the club for 8 years before returning in 2013?

🤣

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, CityReds said:

There’s ‘giving young players a chance’ then there’s playing a 17yo clearly out of his depth in a senior Championship team thinking he has to prove something. Both players you mention were out on loan until well into their 20s before they played for City

I wouldn't say he was "clearly out of his depth" he came on late in games and due to his pace he gave tired teams something to worry about. As we were chasing games then in the absence of any other options then why not throw him on? Give him that bit of experience and exposure and inject some pace and energy into the team. 

Over the past couple of years we've had to throw the likes of Sam Bell in even tho he was raw just like Yeboah. But I'm sure that experience was good for Sammy. He almost scored at West Ham. 

Pearson was not afraid to use young players. At his age, he wasn't concerned with his win record. Some he threw in sank and some turned into men. 

We have signed young players on the back of that pathways that was created. Now were back to loaning players out because in my opinion are not tactically aware like Manning wants and therefore that could lead to pressure on Manning. 

In just more annoyed that as a club we are once again flip flopping with our approach. If youre going to loan players out, fair enough. If you're going to insist a manager has to utilise the academy and that there is a clear pathway then fair enough. But don't flip flop between different approaches based on who the manager is. Have a club approach that a manager has to adhere too. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

My feeling is the board moved the goal posts in the summer in terms of the budget available for Nige post-Scott sale, and have loosened the purse strings for Manning. 

• Like 2

Think Manning is just looking at it from a development perspective, what’s better for a player 10/15 mins in the champ here and there or 90 mins week in week out in a different side whether it be down in the 21’s/18’s or out on loan. At that age players need to be playing and training something they miss out on if they’re travelling and just on the bench 

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I wouldn't say he was "clearly out of his depth" he came on late in games and due to his pace he gave tired teams something to worry about. As we were chasing games then in the absence of any other options then why not throw him on? Give him that bit of experience and exposure and inject some pace and energy into the team. 

Over the past couple of years we've had to throw the likes of Sam Bell in even tho he was raw just like Yeboah. But I'm sure that experience was good for Sammy. He almost scored at West Ham. 

Pearson was not afraid to use young players. At his age, he wasn't concerned with his win record. Some he threw in sank and some turned into men. 

We have signed young players on the back of that pathways that was created. Now were back to loaning players out because in my opinion are not tactically aware like Manning wants and therefore that could lead to pressure on Manning. 

In just more annoyed that as a club we are once again flip flopping with our approach. If youre going to loan players out, fair enough. If you're going to insist a manager has to utilise the academy and that there is a clear pathway then fair enough. But don't flip flop between different approaches based on who the manager is. Have a club approach that a manager has to adhere too. 

I don’t think we are flip-flopping in approach, we are just hitting a point where the best youngsters have become bonafide first teamers (Bell, Conway), together with older academy players (Pring, Vyner, O’Leary) filling 5 of the 11 starting spots most weeks.

We still have a relatively small squad of “outsiders” taking the majority of the remaining match day 20 spots, with  players like Yeboah, Nelson, JKL, etc getting regular exposure.

There becomes a point for some of those where u21 football no longer provides the right developmental challenge, and they can’t get game time in the first team.  At that point the club need to decide what is best for player and for club.

If we go back to 21-22 season, TC spent all season on the bench, but for him 22-23 gave him the opportunity to play, and he took it (and some!).

The same could happen with JKL, this season being like Tommy’s in 21-22.  But if there is no likelihood of playing  either at RB (Tanner / McCrorie) or RCB (Vyner / Dickie), then what is best for him?

Each player will need his own path.

We are assuming JKL will cut it at this level too.  He certainly looks like he has the potential to, but nothing is certain.

So we aren’t flip-flopping, we just have different options available because the squad make-up evolves.

If we didn’t have 9 subs, there’s a chance he and others maybe went out on loan this season…whilst Nige was here.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

How about we manage players individually, and do what is best for their progress, and therefore the club.

Surely that is just good management?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t think we are flip-flopping in approach, we are just hitting a point where the best youngsters have become bonafide first teamers (Bell, Conway), together with older academy players (Pring, Vyner, O’Leary) filling 5 of the 11 starting spots most weeks.

We still have a relatively small squad of “outsiders” taking the majority of the remaining match day 20 spots, with  players like Yeboah, Nelson, JKL, etc getting regular exposure.

There becomes a point for some of those where u21 football no longer provides the right developmental challenge, and they can’t get game time in the first team.  At that point the club need to decide what is best for player and for club.

If we go back to 21-22 season, TC spent all season on the bench, but for him 22-23 gave him the opportunity to play, and he took it (and some!).

The same could happen with JKL, this season being like Tommy’s in 21-22.  But if there is no likelihood of playing  either at RB (Tanner / McCrorie) or RCB (Vyner / Dickie), then what is best for him?

We are assuming JKL will cut it at this level too.  He certainly looks like he has the potential to, but nothing is certain.

So we aren’t flip-flopping, we just have different options available because the squad make-up evolves.

If we didn’t have 9 subs, there’s a chance he and others maybe went out on loan this season…whilst Nige was here.

Agree with this. I also think that LM has more players coming back from injury too, so there is less necessity to chuck them in quite so early. 

There were times when NP literally had no alternative!!! 

Definitely his best press conference so far too. I quite like how open and honest he is about injuries (when asked).

Edited by Kibs
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know it's a long time ago and only one sub in those days, etc. But Alan Dick's didn't seem to be able to Manage the problem of what to do with your talented youngsters, when your team is already full of talented youngsters. 

I think the options are far greater these days, more subs, a greater range of loan options, and (although somewhat divisive) a willingness to sell the best when the right offer comes along.

Dick's answer was to put his favoured players on long term contracts to stop them leaving, but he created a bottleneck and we lost some equally talented players over a long period. 

Manning is right to utilise the loan market to give our youngsters game time, as long as they are still seen as part of our set up and it's part of the pathway into our first team. 

We are still attracting youngsters because they can see we play them if they are ready, we will lose that attraction if we change that.

11 hours ago, CodeRed said:

You do know that after he was sacked in 2005 he had no involvement with the club for 8 years before returning in 2013?

🤣

I used to and still do see BT around Nailsea and knew that he worked for a brief period in a local club but had no idea that there was an 8 year gap between him getting sacked before rejoining the club - not that it matters.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I used to and still do see BT around Nailsea and knew that he worked for a brief period in a local club but had no idea that there was an 8 year gap between him getting sacked before rejoining the club - not that it matters.

Most of those years was spent in Spain running an academy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The OS is quite a good source of info regarding Bristol City - give it a try

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

The OS is quite a good source of info regarding Bristol City - give it a try

I only view the OS for confirmation that a player has signed or moved on. I’m not interested in women’s football or the u21s so there not much on the OS that I find remotely interesting.

12 hours ago, Street red said:

In management some people respond best to an "arm round the shoulder", while others do best with more of a a "kick up the backside" approach.

It must be similar with players. Some will doubtless do best remaining at the club and working through things in order to fight for a first team place. Others will benefit from exposure to more regular first team football, that they would not necessarily be able to secure staying here. This must be especially so for very young players.

A spell on loan at Newport didn't do Semenyo's development much harm, similarly Pring at Pompey.

I am pretty sure that Manning would be looking to utilize a 17 year old Alex Scott in his plans. Yeboah, however,  is no Alex Scott ( not yet anyway!), who was capable beyond his years,  and with the changes LM is looking to make, perhaps Manning sees his inexperience as too great a risk while the rest of the team are adapting to changes in playing style.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Quite a marked change in LM’s demeanour - he seems to have settled in well and looks genuinely happy to be here now.

Absolutely right. 

When he first arrived he’d have been anxious about joining a Championship club with a higher profile and bigger fanbase and therefore likely to be under greater scrutiny. 

Any nervousness/apprehension he may have had had certainly dissipated.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

Absolutely right. 

When he first arrived he’d have been anxious about joining a Championship club with a higher profile and bigger fanbase and therefore likely to be under greater scrutiny. 

Any nervousness/apprehension he may have had had certainly dissipated.

Or he might have read OTIB and, in the light of fans' reaction to NP's departure, thought he would be about as welcome as a fart in a lift! :)

• Haha 1

What a great interview

Some good questions and some very good ones , and some very good and interesting answers and insights

The fact that Manning answers them with such ease I like

Liked even more some of the content in his answers , yes you can say it’s talk ,

but speaking , and not for the first time , of how delighted he was in the way and how quickly ,the squad have absorbed what they are trying to do - assuming that’s true , (and no reason to disbelieve him , he comes across as pretty straight / no b******t) that’s a real good sign

As important as having good coaches are , the ‘students’ attitude and ability to absorb just as important

Really liked what he said about senior players and how they try and use them , tap into them - great use IMHO and undoubtedly makes them feel very valued too

Lots of other little revealing bits too

I like what I hear from him , and if he can use his coaching skill and intelligence things look really promising

Will be interested to see the early signs of his recruitment , and then whether he can turn us into a (consistently) winning side  

Promising