IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

Personally, don't agree. He's already proven that he's too good to be playing in League 1. He definitely has to improve his decision making, but in terms of pure technical ability it's clear that he's comfortably at a Championship level.

Yeboah is miles behind Mehmeti.

One half decent season at Wycombe does not make him a championship player. Can’t cross the ball, can’t head the ball, poor at tracking back, poor decision making, he could have all the technical ability in the world but that does not translate to being a championship player. Yeboah is not the finished article either but he has got a bit of determination and pace, and that for me is much more useful and unpredictable which is arguably why the previous manager chucked him on for 15 mins at the end of the game and did not select Mehmeti that much.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2
11 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

You think our two wide players are at the desired standard?

I know both are young but far to lightweight for me and rarely make chances for others.

Conway must be so frustrated he’s feeding off scraps, he’d score a load of goals in a decent side.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

Here is the reality of it.

A wet behind the ears manager, managing a squad who are a little lower than average.

Several ageing players who are top earners.

No real saleable assets.

No real funds to buy.

No one coming up through the academy at the moment.

Yet Nige was crap and we should be a top 6 side, according to the very knowledgeable Lansdowns.

Thankfully we probably have enough points to stay in this league.

I don’t agree with some of that, but the thrust I definitely do!

At Half time, i felt we were almost playing well.

Half time they made changes; and they were a totally different side. We failed to adjust. Top job to their management for identifying our weakness. We had no answer. 

The adjustments we seemed to make, made us worse.

After 3 in a row, there were a number of posts on how effective the new management has been. How everything is so much better now etc etc. almost i told you so's

Well as always, sport is humbling.

3 league games later- 0 goals in the process. With a strong  argument during the game, their management out-thought ours.

What now? We are back to square 1 = 4 points off the playoffs 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Ah the joys of supporting city.

3 wins in a row, followed by 0 goals in 3 league games 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
30 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

I know I’ll get pelters for this and I understand he’s young and still learning but Sam bell nearly always makes the wrong decision, he seems devoid of confidence, thought he was really poor today, not the only 1 admittedly.

He should be out on loan somewhere he isnt championship quality yet but as he's a legends son and a local lad he gets treated differently

48 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Am I watching the same game as the Robins TV commentators? 

"We've been by far the better team"

"It's the finer details that have let us down" 

In the 30 seconds before their goal, he said something like - we’ve been the better team, hope it’s not gonna be one of those games, blah, blah….oh shit we are 1-0 down.

Why do commentators say stuff like that?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

Conway must be so frustrated he’s feeding off scraps, he’d score a load of goals in a decent side.

Because we don’t get the ball to him quickly enough. I would be thinking about a transfer request. Mr Mannings style does not complement ConwAy!

• Like 1

@Harry mentioned this when it first looked like LM was going to be appointed.

We don't have the players to play how LM wants to.

My thoughts and I have said this before, he doesn't seem to be able to change or react to the oppositions game plan if they change.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

In the 30 seconds before their goal, he said something like - we’ve been the better team, hope it’s not gonna be one of those games, blah, blah….oh shit we are 1-0 down.

Why do commentators say stuff like that?

I yelled **** off you **** at my tv! ****. 

• Like 1

This was an unchanged side so LM has probably identified them as the best 11 (save for the absence of Sykes), but was unable to affect the game through substitutions, probably because he doesn’t know the squad well enough.

Which yet again brings us back to the bonkers decision to bin NP early and leave the replacement with someone else’s squad to deal with for ~70% of the season without the benefit of a full pre-season.

The season was written off in November - what do you think of that, ST holders?

Edited by luke_bristol
  • Like 3
24 minutes ago, cellist said:

we had 18 points from 14 games. Manning I think is 15 from 11. But having failed to score for 3 league games in a row, especially given that it includes Rooney's Birmingham and this lot, I for one feel less optimistic than I did on 28 Oct.

What’s telling is that 9 of LM’s 15 points came from 3 consecutive games. Of those 3, only the Watford match was a good performance. It was a daylight robbery win against Sunderland and a fortunate win against Hull. In a way it doesn’t matter how you pick up points but long term, if you want promotion, it’s the style of play and the team performance that’s important. Unfortunately for City too many of the last 11 matches have been dire. A common theme after a some matches is “when did you see as bad a match as that”. Then the next match is worse and so on 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Because we don’t get the ball to him quickly enough. I would be thinking about a transfer request. Mr Mannings style does not complement ConwAy!

He’ll be off when the chance comes, can’t blame him either, players know we’re a nothing club and going nowhere 

5 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

One half decent season at Wycombe does not make him a championship player. Can’t cross the ball, can’t head the ball, poor at tracking back, poor decision making, he could have all the technical ability in the world but that does not translate to being a championship player. Yeboah is not the finished article either but he has got a bit of determination and pace, and that for me is much more useful and unpredictable which is arguably why the previous manager chucked him on for 15 mins at the end of the game and did not select Mehmeti that much.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one then mate.

Think that's a very unfair review, especially the idea that he can't cross the ball. I'm sure you'd be in a very small minority in thinking that Yeboah offers more than Mehmeti too.

For me, Mehmeti offers more than many of our other wide options - most notably Bell & Cornick. He has a lot to improve on, but also clear ability and potential - I'd definitely stick with him.

12 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

How many managers jobs have we saved this season? Lowe today, Rooney temporarily, Wagner and the Stoke manager? And that’s without looking 

Were Bristol City it’s what we do 

• Like 1
Just now, Bodiesaffer said:

Correct.  None of what we got can.  We need a player like one at Bormuff…

I don’t think for a second none of them can adapt but if you have no outlet because your striker doesn’t want the ball to feet you are going to see even more of the ball at yours throughout the pitch. 

Mehmetti is the same we are constantly asking him to go past players from a standing start poor Sam Bell is the same and there are people saying he’s not good enough on here. He is very definitely good enough but the only player who can beat you from the ball under his feet is Sykes. 

25 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

I'm sticking with my gut feeling - Manning will be gone before the year's out.

Like watching paint dry.

Lansdown and Tinnion made a rod for Liam's back with all the bollox they spouted to justify sacking Nigel. But he will be made accountable if things don't improve.

They will carry on happily in their fantasy world without batting an eyelid. It's what they do.

• Like 2

Their changes won them the game, they went much more ( I hesitate to say this but ) front foot and we couldn't cope. That was bad enough but we don't then make our own change to counteract . They bossed the midfield from the moment they made the subs and passed around us. We never adapt to other teams changes, and that is poor.
The problem gets worse when those few occasions you have a chance to hold the ball and form an attack you give the ball back cheaply . Mehmeti for that 20 (?) minutes was awful. 2 breaks in the same position minutes apart, had the chance to pass to Conway or Pring but cut in and lost the ball . He is not improving his decision making at all IMO.
Jason Knight has been probably our best player this season, but today it looked like he was trying too hard. I would drop him back into MF where his running can win us the ball back and get us moving. We need a genuine attacking goal threat that can play that 2nd striker/ deep 9 / No.10 position, Sykes ?
We are really struggling for goals and ATM but it's not all down to strikers, we don't create enough. 

• Like 2

Observations from me.

We edged the first half, largely, however, because PNE was so poor. They were much better in the second half, their substitutions at half time changed the game effectively.

Max made a a world class save early in the second half to keep us in the game.

For me Anis and Sam we’re not in the game enough and when they had the ball they were poor. Tommy Conway wasn’t far behind and just didn’t influence the game. Again I think this game highlighted our lack of creativity and goals, thats no goals in our last three league games.

On the positive side, I thought Williams and Knight both had good games and it’s good to see McCorie and Roberts back in contention.

In the end, we were second-best and didn’t deserve anything from that game.

Huge well done to the traveling fans.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Glen hump said:

He’ll be off when the chance comes, can’t blame him either, players know we’re a nothing club and going nowhere 

I think he might be. Now is a good time to come in for him. However I would bet he gets one on Tuesday. 

Nothing club. I wouldn’t exactly put it like that but the odor of failure is always in the air!

13 minutes ago, M.D said:

@Harry mentioned this when it first looked like LM was going to be appointed.

We don't have the players to play how LM wants to.

My thoughts and I have said this before, he doesn't seem to be able to change or react to the oppositions game plan if they change.

Then you adapt the style of play to suit the players you have available… previous regimes understood that, maybe our new man should read the section in the coaching handbook about turd polishing…

• Thanks 1
Just now, REDOXO said:

I think he might be. Now is a good time to come in for him. However I would bet he gets one on Tuesday. 

Nothing club. I wouldn’t exactly put it like that but the odor of failure is always in the air!

I work all over the country, other fans see us as a bit of a nothing club, I can sort of see there point of view if you try and look at it from the outside, we never really threaten to do anything, we just sort of go round in circles 

• Like 11