IGNORED

City are live on national television this Tuesday - its cliché time!

Curr Avon

55 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Reflecting again, I probably learned LESS from a David Woods book than I did from Pearce waxing about the side this evening.

A masterclass in 'you'll never guess who I grew up watching'.

Ah, David Woods, the “City fan” who gets all boulshy whenever someone has a pop at the Gash.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I thought the most interesting thing he said, which strongly suggested he'd been informed by someone above ( imo Tins) is that any Coach coming here, will be told to play a certain way, dictated to by those in charge, in a way that had been ingrained in the Academy. 

Words to that affect. 

Couldn't believe it.

Then again...

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Apparently an Argyle fan but grew up in Bristol and watched us hence the knowledge. Can anyone confirm that? 

Back in the 90s there was a late night sports related show on Channel 4 called “Under the Moon” hosted by Danny Kelly.

They had JP on as a guest one week, as a teenager I’d never heard of him before as he wasn’t as well known as he is today and he was asked “who do you support?”

His reply was “Bristol City man and boy”

So I’m guessing he’s a lifelong City fan.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

1 hour ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Apparently an Argyle fan but grew up in Bristol and watched us hence the knowledge. Can anyone confirm that? 

He spent many of his young days on the Williams gantry because his dad was also involved in broadcasting, I believe.

Anyone who went up there will give testament that you don’t forget that climb in a hurry and I think instead of trauma it led him to a life of commentary. But certainly BCFC all the way.

1 hour ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Gaschat not happy that JP got the gig.

I think they might write to the BBC to complain.

I hope they enjoyed seeing a fine stadium under lights.

Fair enough, Alan Partridge is doing their game tomorrow!

• Haha 1

In AD's book he states that he was the first manager to get games videod so that he could analise the good and bad bits.

These games were videod by JP's dad home and away, JP helped his dad do the videoing.

That's why he knows so much about City's past as they were always with the team on matchdays.

For anyone who hasn't heard it, the OSIB 'cider with' Jonathan Pearce is incredible. Never heard someone talk so emotionally about a football club. He basically grew up around the club, knew the players and even went to away games on the team coach. He talks about Gerry Gow like he was a member of his family.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

27 minutes ago, Harry R said:

For anyone who hasn't heard it, the OSIB 'cider with' Jonathan Pearce is incredible. Never heard someone talk so emotionally about a football club. He basically grew up around the club, knew the players and even went to away games on the team coach. He talks about Gerry Gow like he was a member of his family.

I've run out of likes this morning, but just wanted to second this. It was a fabulous listen.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

32 minutes ago, Harry R said:

He mentioned last night about how he was in the dressing room after we beat Leeds in 1974, and Don Revie coming in to congratulate them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He mentioned last night about how he was in the dressing room after we beat Leeds in 1974, and Don Revie coming in to congratulate them.

Don Revie congratulate us after the game in our dressing room? You mean he didn’t moan about no VAR, claim they only lost because of refereeing decisions, moan about the opposition sitting behind the ball or cry about rough house tactics (in the days when rough house was a lot sodding rougher and tougher than it ever is now)?

Cant be right……..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

An amazing display of non-stop verbalisation of Bristol City history.

Used the entire 94 minutes to offer the nation an insight into our past, current and future in a documentary/infomercial-esque fashion.

I think if you have made more then 20 appearances for us post-war, you got a mention, and if you didn’t then you would have done in extra-time.

A one man crusade to educate the country in a whirlwind attempt to get them up to speed as we have gone through middle two division anonymity for 40 odd years. 

God Bless you JP, and C’mon you Reds.

When I got home last night I watched the first half and then watched the second half this morning. I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed listening to him.

Fantastic post BTW. 

12 hours ago, Ron W said:

Can’t believe he got given that gig. 

The most biased commentator national TV must’ve had in years.

Absolutely brilliant.

I know I'm biased but surely the experience for the watching viewer was enhanced due to his knowledge? 

After all his years service to the BBC, they owed him this gig. 

12 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

I am almost 100% certain that if the 4th official would have held up 6 minutes instead of 4 then he would have woven this into his City-mentary.

Just imagining Danny Gabbidon’s face trying to add any value to the subject of Max O’Leary’s school years.

I'm pretty sure Pearce must have turned down Danny's mic 🤣 when Danny could get a word in, which was rarely, he could hardly be heard. 

11 hours ago, Ron W said:

He spent many of his young days on the Williams gantry because his dad was also involved in broadcasting, I believe.

Anyone who went up there will give testament that you don’t forget that climb in a hurry and I think instead of trauma it led him to a life of commentary. But certainly BCFC all the way.

Yep, I knew his Dad and often chatted to him before games and young JP was usually in tow.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harry R said:

Here it is in case anyone missed it;

https://onestreaminbristol.libsyn.com/a-cider-with-jonathan-pearce

Interesting line about being offered City games on TV previously, but turned them down due to his support.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Here it is in case anyone missed it;

https://onestreaminbristol.libsyn.com/a-cider-with-jonathan-pearce

Interesting line about being offered City games on TV previously, but turned them down due to his support.

I suspect now he's a bit closer to retirement (he's 64) he took the chance when offered. He must know that there won't be too many City home games shown on the BBC between now and his final broadcast.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I suspect now he's a bit closer to retirement (he's 64) he took the chance when offered. He must know that there won't be too many City home games shown on the BBC between now and his final broadcast.

When he retires he’ll get his season ticket in s82

• Like 2