IGNORED

Is The Game In Doubt??

REDOXO

3 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Sheffield Wednesday was still the best all those years ago. Apparently they were bringing their usual big following which became impossible due to heavy snow. Those that made it to a absolute freezing old Park end section were told at half time that the M5 and M1 motorways were now shut.

On top of that one of our lot in the Park end home section only had a football shirt on.

Yeah, I never did feel the cold in those days, a bit different now....

bbc lol GIF

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You don't have a very good memory then, because it literally happened on Sunday (yes, the one two days ago). Buffalo v Pittsburgh was moved from Sunday to Monday because of the weather.

Moved 24 hrs - not exactly a postponement.

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 6

19 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

You don't have a very good memory then, because it literally happened on Sunday (yes, the one two days ago). Buffalo v Pittsburgh was moved from Sunday to Monday because of the weather.

I’m only follow one NFL team - Green Bay Packers. I don’t take any interest in other teams,

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

40 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

So it's on a case by case basis, presumably on the advice and in consultation with the usual suspects that I outlined in my first post? Pretty sure that's the same way we do it here to be honest.

Presumably there is then just a different attitude to playing in different states or at different clubs?

I just find it surprising/interesting that in a country where many people strive to maintain a steady 21C at home by using either heating or AC throughout the entire year - they are willing to watch a 4 hour sports event in -20C. Just wondered whether there actual rules around "getting the game played".

36 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Sheffield Wednesday was still the best all those years ago. Apparently they were bringing their usual big following which became impossible due to heavy snow. Those that made it to a absolute freezing old Park end section were told at half time that the M5 and M1 motorways were now shut.

On top of that one of our lot in the Park end home section only had a football shirt on.

Must be something about SW, I remember going to Hillsborough in the early 70's ,only to have the game blizzarded off at half time !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Stone said:

´One Bed and Breakfast, there’s only one Bed and Breakfast’.

And wasn’t there also some announcement that the train from TM was going to leave earlier than scheduled?

To be fair to their fans, though, and I have always liked them, most stayed until the final whistle.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 1

• Admin
10 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Admit it, you love these sort of threads don't you :laughcont:

I will admit I fear an unusual weather forecast for threads like this 

My friend Tim Bird used to wind me up about them 

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Seeing as you locked this thread and reopened it, can we assume you were sat snuggly and warm at home, oblivious to the temperatures outside, then suddenly remembered you hadn’t put the bins out, and have now realised it’s bloody cold! 😉

Sadly that was down to sausage fingers and trying to multi task 

Didn't think anybody noticed 🤦🤦

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I remember there being a game, must be about 25 years ago, where they’d been freezing rain the night before and the match was postponed because the stands were unsafe.

That freezing rain was bad mind

The game against Rovers in 96 was called off for this reason. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

So it's on a case by case basis, presumably on the advice and in consultation with the usual suspects that I outlined in my first post? Pretty sure that's the same way we do it here to be honest.

Presumably there is then just a different attitude to playing in different states or at different clubs?

I just find it surprising/interesting that in a country where many people strive to maintain a steady 21C at home by using either heating or AC throughout the entire year - they are willing to watch a 4 hour sports event in -20C. Just wondered whether there actual rules around "getting the game played".

I think many have missed your point about games being called off due to fan safety. I think you're questioning why games are safe for fans to attend over there in -20 and extreme snowy conditions but we call ours off because of a frozen pavement? 

22 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

I remember there being a game, must be about 25 years ago, where they’d been freezing rain the night before and the match was postponed because the stands were unsafe.

That freezing rain was bad mind

19 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

The game against Rovers in 96 was called off for this reason. 

Yes. I think you’ll find this is what was known as ‘Slippery Saturday’. 
There were some very interesting scenes in the city centre and also particularly in St Nicks Market round the back of the Rummer, where City & Rovers had some clashes, but there was an element of slapstick comedy - as I went to punch some lad I slipped and fell on my ass. Similarly a mate of mine was about to get clobbered over the head by the old bill, but the copper slipped at the final moment 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

I was in the Open End home section, never been so cold in my life. Mates left at half time and I didn’t blame them. 2nd half was like an endurance test and the game finished 1-1.

9 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I was in the Open End home section, never been so cold in my life. Mates left at half time and I didn’t blame them. 2nd half was like an endurance test and the game finished 1-1.

Fair play for sticking it out. I was at the back of Williams B block cuddling some random stranger to keep warm

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I fell over after one step outside my door, I've never seen that frozen rain since!

I’ve only known it once since.  My then girlfriend insisted I walked to her house - cars sliding down roads but she insisted. 

I still mention it sometimes now.  “Kids, your mum once made me walk over when the floor was ice…” 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think many have missed your point about games being called off due to fan safety. I think you're questioning why games are safe for fans to attend over there in -20 and extreme snowy conditions but we call ours off because of a frozen pavement? 

Yes it was part of my thoughts l, but actually I wondered about the players.

I've found a short description of what roughly what happens to someone at temperatures of between -10 and -20. Source is an arctic exploration clothing brand https://shackleton.com/pages/about-shackleton

Now I'm no NFL expert but my understanding is that the quarter back requires use of his fingers, and he (or his contract) are worth millions and millions of dollars. Apparently in the Chiefs v Dolphins game one of the helmets shattered/split because it was so cold. Why are the clubs willing to risk the health of such valuable assets? It's odd. I don't understand it.

Screenshot_20240116-121048.png

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

So, to sum up, the answer to your question @REDOXO is simple:

No, the game shouldn't be in doubt, because Green Bay Packers have never had a game postponed, as far as Robbored can remember.

Hope that reassures you 😏

I’m a Packers Shareholder and City season ticket holder who lives in Wisconsin. 

The big difference up here is it’s not if, it’s when! The pitch is heated and the stands are cleared as are the streets everywhere. It’s planned for!

Occasionally games in the North are called off but not often and very rarely at Lambeau 

It was Danny Kelly giving it the big one about possible postponements on his shit show yesterday! Note to self, listen to more music in the car  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Yes it was part of my thoughts l, but actually I wondered about the players.

I've found a short description of what roughly what happens to someone at temperatures of between -10 and -20. Source is an arctic exploration clothing brand https://shackleton.com/pages/about-shackleton

Now I'm no NFL expert but my understanding is that the quarter back requires use of his fingers, and he (or his contract) are worth millions and millions of dollars. Apparently in the Chiefs v Dolphins game one of the helmets shattered/split because it was so cold. Why are the clubs willing to risk the health of such valuable assets? It's odd. I don't understand it.

Screenshot_20240116-121048.png

I've always wondered why their seasons are scheduled so it coincides with the brutal weather. It makes no sense for fan and player welfare. Sept - Feb. Just why?