IGNORED

Is The Game In Doubt??

REDOXO

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've always wondered why their seasons are scheduled so it coincides with the brutal weather. It makes no sense for fan and player welfare. Sept - Feb. Just why? 

Especially when they have Ice Hockey right there! A game literally designed for playing in -20!

Anyone remember the midday Rovers game at AG that got postponed because of icy steps in the stands and outside, many years ago? The pitch was perfect as I remember.

And not a Rovers fan in sight, before or after. Like rats in drainpipes.

A very happy afternoon on the lash instead!

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And it’s a bloody big country, so not everyone affected.

This is something that always strikes me, the way they must prepare for the extremes. Miami Dolphins for example could be at home one week in 80/90° heat and away to Buffalo or Green Bay in ice and snow, the following week. It must be a very scientific approach to getting the players right for that.

Edited by Port Said Red

2 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Fair play for sticking it out. I was at the back of Williams B block cuddling some random stranger to keep warm

Oh! That was you was it? I think it would be best if we draw a veil over it and agree never to talk about it again.

15 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We played Sheffield Weds during ‘the Beast from the East’.

I’d be amazed if tomorrows game is in doubt.

I was in Chicago at the time of the Polar Vortex and the high was -16c, everything was going on as normal, including multiple homicides to which I inadvertently witnessed!

2 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Anyone remember the midday Rovers game at AG that got postponed because of icy steps in the stands and outside, many years ago? The pitch was perfect as I remember.

And not a Rovers fan in sight, before or after. Like rats in drainpipes.

A very happy afternoon on the lash instead!

Remember that well . It was ice rain that was the issue . Cars were just sliding all over the shop and as I was parked o. A steep hill I couldn’t even move mine !! 

4 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Fair play for sticking it out. I was at the back of Williams B block cuddling some random stranger to keep warm

So it was you.

And I never did get to thank you.

I see I am not the only one with a childish sense of humour.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

4 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I was in the Open End home section, never been so cold in my life. Mates left at half time and I didn’t blame them. 2nd half was like an endurance test and the game finished 1-1.

I am pretty sure there was an even more recent game against Wednesday, Saturday afternoon in the snow, when we lost 4 or 5-1?

16 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Where I am it is -20C. However driving around today listening to Talk shite  sport, they were indicating the game could be postponed

Is there something in it?

Do you think the weather worldwide is the same everywhere?

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

Moved 24 hrs - not exactly a postponement.

I think you are wasted on the forum. You should be in parliament with this type of answer. Its perfect for a politician 

49 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am pretty sure there was an even more recent game against Wednesday, Saturday afternoon in the snow, when we lost 4 or 5-1?

Don’t recall that?

We beat them 4-0 during the beast from the east in 2018. Memorable to me for 3 reasons:

1) Tango man still had his shirt off in the away end despite the freezing temperatures.

2) The sudden appearance after 20 mins in the far end of the upper Lansdown of what looked like 50 or so Willem II ultras who spent the first half exchanging pleasantries with the Weds fans but were presumably prevented from going back in the 2nd half. 🤣

3) and the fact we didn’t blow a 3-0 half time lead like we had 5 weeks earlier.

C7B7A059-DF60-47A1-8BC5-EB22A1A4B00F.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Don’t recall that?

We beat them 4-0 during the beast from the east in 2018. Memorable to me for 3 reasons:

1) Tango man still had his shirt off in the away end despite the freezing temperatures.

2) The sudden appearance after 20 mins in the far end of the upper Lansdown of what looked like 50 or so Willem II ultras who spent the first half exchanging pleasantries with the Weds fans but were presumably prevented from going back in the 2nd half. 🤣

3) and the fact we didn’t blow a 3-0 half time lead like we had 5 weeks earlier.

C7B7A059-DF60-47A1-8BC5-EB22A1A4B00F.jpeg

Was it perhaps against Southend then, with Freddy Eastwood?

I just remember sitting in The Williams Stand, freezing cold, snowing and City conceding a late goal to go 4 or 5 down - I can't even remember if we actually scored or not.

My friend wanted to go, neither of us were particularly enjoying it but we stuck it out bravely for the last 5 minutes or so.

2 hours ago, YorkshireSection said:

I was in Chicago at the time of the Polar Vortex and the high was -16c, everything was going on as normal, including multiple homicides to which I inadvertently witnessed!

Yeah I lived there then. I’m only 70 miles now. 

it was nuts. Chicago was colder than Antarctica. It’s the only time I’ve known the City effected by the weather. 

Who ever had the idea of running gas lines by the tracks earned his money in just keeping the place open. 

I came to England for two weeks to get out of it.

If you went outside the first step was ok by the third step you were coughing as your lungs were freezing and by the fifth you were diving for the nearest door!

The homicides tend to be on The South Side, and can stray to the near West side. Don’t go South of Sox Park is the rule of thumb unless you are going to the University district. 

Edited by REDOXO

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think many have missed your point about games being called off due to fan safety. I think you're questioning why games are safe for fans to attend over there in -20 and extreme snowy conditions but we call ours off because of a frozen pavement? 

I guess the logical answer is because they are prepared for it? Places that get lots of bad weather, are ready for it. Go to Florida for example and they’ve got hurricane shields, they literally just pull the shutters down and sit and watch the storm. People who are used to living in cold and icy conditions are obviously going to be better prepared for it and understand the risk.

Doesnt answer the point about player safety in really low temperatures for example.

Where I am has been in the -20s this week, however I’m well insulated in ski gear! I couldn’t imagine trying to play sport in it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I guess the logical answer is because they are prepared for it? Places that get lots of bad weather, are ready for it. Go to Florida for example and they’ve got hurricane shields, they literally just pull the shutters down and sit and watch the storm. People who are used to living in cold and icy conditions are obviously going to be better prepared for it and understand the risk.

Doesnt answer the point about player safety in really low temperatures for example.

Where I am has been in the -20s this week, however I’m well insulated in ski gear! I couldn’t imagine trying to play sport in it.

NFL players wear suits under their shirts and shorts. (certainly they do in Green Bay) You don’t tend to see flesh much at all after October up here. QBs have finger warmers and the players tend to be moved in and out regularly so the whole set up is different 

As for stadiums exactly as you say they are prepared for clearance in and to/from the stadium. So the plan swings in. Occasionally they are caught short and ask for volunteers to pitch in pre match but that really doesn’t happen much