IGNORED

Henry Winter, The Times - West Ham match report

ChippenhamRed

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Cracking report with a lot of warm words about us fans and the club. I think Henry Winter has a soft spot for us!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-vs-west-ham-premier-league-side-knocked-out-of-fa-cup-c8f0nnl5p

Hi CR. If you have time, please can you cut and paste the copy. as its behind a paywall. 

• Like 3

Henry Winter has been to AG several times previously and reported very favourably at the completion of the redevelopment. LJ was in charge at the time.

He’s a well well respected top sports journalist who I believe has won awards in that world 

A very well balanced an articulate piece as you’d expect from such a wonderful sports journalist 

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Cracking report with a lot of warm words about us fans and the club. I think Henry Winter has a soft spot for us!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bristol-city-vs-west-ham-premier-league-side-knocked-out-of-fa-cup-c8f0nnl5p

Sorry, I was able to read it for free.

Thanks @terpin for sharing it!

• Robin 1

Many older fans that recall the us beating Chelsea in this competition will have had their fill, by, now, after so many years, of this type of "ruffling a young boy's hair" coverage from one of the nationals. How we long to be the big gun getting turnt over by a tinpot and then going back to the big boy football at the top of the game .....

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Many older fans that recall the us beating Chelsea in this competition will have had their fill, by, now, after so many years, of this type of "ruffling a young boy's hair" coverage from one of the nationals. How we long to be the big gun getting turnt over by a tinpot and then going back to the big boy football at the top of the game .....

I'm officially old at 45!  Damn! 😂

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/16/bristol-city-west-ham-fa-cup-third-round-replay-match-report

Ben Fisher (a City fan) did the business in the Guardian (which isn't behind a paywall).

I like his description of the sending off:

"Joe Williams flew into a challenge on Benrahma, to which the winger did not take kindly. Benrahma responded by seeking afters, thrusting his studs towards Williams, his left boot into his groin and right into his armpit. The referee, Darren England, got a handle on the wreckage and booked Williams before, once Benrahma rose from receiving medical treatment, sending the Algerian down the tunnel."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Thought it was just me.

Found it very patronising personally.

• Like 1

Let’s hope we don’t have to play Blackpool then!

55 minutes ago, Super said:

He has always been one of the better Journo's, Always spoken well about us.

He was a bit tight with our ratings (if it was him!)

He's a good lad HW, but I don't particularly agree with his ratings either. 

• Like 1

Yep, you are right. In the bigger scheme of things, it all helps though. Better than a report after losing.

There were some little things I didn't enjoy seeing regarding how we are perceived (tin foil home made FA cups) and some things I did enjoy (the TV studio and the players holding pen before the tunnel). They all portray where we are as a club and generally it was great.

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have seen his name mentioned on numerous threads, but who exactly is Ian Gay?

Ex Bristol Boy on here from many years ago. Ran off the forum once people started questioning him.

Turned back up on Twitter and latterly Forever Bristol City podcast, lost his reputation somewhat as he looks like a cuddly bear as someone else said.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Ex Bristol Boy on here from many years ago. Ran off the forum once people started questioning him.

Turned back up on Twitter and latterly Forever Bristol City podcast, lost his reputation somewhat as he looks like a cuddly bear as someone else said.

Thought he looks a bit like Tiny Penis myself!  He seems like one of those guys you meet in the pub that everything he says is gospel and if you disagree, you're wrong !

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zippycar said:

According to his interview on Radio Bristol pre-match yesterday, he has a house in Clifton!

Really? I know one of the Mails (🤮) main reporters, Rob Draper, lives/lived here as we met him on the train back from the cricket in London one day a few years back.  He may of course have moved on by now.  Was a nice bloke but I was struck how little he knew about us considering he was a football writer living in our city (ha had only just moved down at the time tbf). 

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Thought he looks a bit like Tiny Penis myself!  He seems like one of those guys you meet in the pub that everything he says is gospel and if you disagree, you're wrong !

Yep - that describes Bristol Boy ala Ian Gay perfectly. Over the year I’ve sadly spent hours listening to him holding court.

I don’t think that I’ve ever seen him smile.

5 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

OK, so no relation to Junior Bent 🫢.

Sorry.