IGNORED

Watford worried.

22A

They've already started their match thread. They refer to us as City and not Bristol...

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/bristol-city-v-watford-fc-20-01-2024.60744/

Bristol City will be on the crest of a wave no doubt. They have a young squad with a couple of them.likelt to follow Scott into the PL. 
The Reds will obviously hoping it's with them. Good to see lots of youngsters supporting their local side ladt night against West Ham. 
Manning is certainly doing a better job than Pwarson and has already linked up with Scott Twone again.
I think we're a decent side with everyone available but don't have the quality to match Bristol City, Coventry or Middlesbrough in the playoff race.
The only hope is that young sides like City often have inconsistency.

Play to the same intensity as city and we give them a game if we are off it like boxing day then only one outcome

Sometimes a team just have your number, and I think this season City have ours. 3-0 them.

• Like 2

Not often a Bristol City match thread on a Watford forum will read like that.

Glad to hear they think Manning is doing better than Pwarson though in Pwarson's defense he doesn't exist. Twone also unlikely to be involved. 

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, 22A said:

They've already started their match thread. They refer to us as City and not Bristol...

https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/bristol-city-v-watford-fc-20-01-2024.60744/

Bristol City will be on the crest of a wave no doubt. They have a young squad with a couple of them.likelt to follow Scott into the PL. 
The Reds will obviously hoping it's with them. Good to see lots of youngsters supporting their local side ladt night against West Ham. 
Manning is certainly doing a better job than Pwarson and has already linked up with Scott Twone again.
I think we're a decent side with everyone available but don't have the quality to match Bristol City, Coventry or Middlesbrough in the playoff race.
The only hope is that young sides like City often have inconsistency.

Play to the same intensity as city and we give them a game if we are off it like boxing day then only one outcome

Sometimes a team just have your number, and I think this season City have ours. 3-0 them.

The Watford fan who typed this must have enormous fingers, state of their spelling

A few saying we're a "young" side. Are we that young any more? I've a feeling that age has crept up on us and we're likely a pretty average side in terms of age profile.

On Tuesday the average age of the 15 players used was 25.5 years. That's pretty standard I'd say (don't have the numbers to hand but from memory the average age of the average squad is around 25 or 26 years old) Youngest were 21 year olds Conway and Bell. Oldest was Wells at 33. 5 were in their "prime years" of 25-30.

I don't see us as notably "young" any more. Especially swapping 32 year old Weimann for 24 year old Twine. We're not notably old either tbh.

(The age profile feeds my personal theory that 2024/25 is the season we have to push for promotion).

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

A few saying we're a "young" side. Are we that young any more? I've a feeling that age has crept up on us and we're likely a pretty average side in terms of age profile.

On Tuesday the average age of the 15 players used was 25.5 years. That's pretty standard I'd say (don't have the numbers to hand but from memory the average age of the average squad is around 25 or 26 years old) Youngest were 21 year olds Conway and Bell. Oldest was Wells at 33. 5 were in their "prime years" of 25-30.

I don't see us as notably "young" any more. Especially swapping 32 year old Weimann for 24 year old Twine. We're not notably old either tbh.

(The age profile feeds my personal theory that 2024/25 is the season we have to push for promotion).

Thought I'd read we had the youngest team in the 4 divisions? Probably totally wrong and that I dreamt it!

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Average age took a hit when Semenyo and Scott left, I suppose it got evened out with Martin and Weimann

We got quite a young starting team most weeks now don't we? The only real oldies seem to be Dickie and James.

3 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Not often a Bristol City match thread on a Watford forum will read like that.

Glad to hear they think Manning is doing better than Pwarson though in Pwarson's defense he doesn't exist. Twone also unlikely to be involved. 

Unusual match thrwad,  IMO Twone likwly to start on thw bwnch,  

Comw on you Rwds

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Elmore James said:

Erm...

image.png.3c0e6cc3d606e39a5a9894a23dd31bec.png

That will be the usual forum "banter" aimed at stoking the fire of the opposition!

Some take it for real and some see through all that.

Of course we are worried - afterall you did hammer us 4-1 not so long ago.

Our away form is very good but sometimes had to rely on good goalkeeping or moments of individual skill. 

Generally we manage to stay in games and tend to have a knack of fighting back from tricky positions but obviously didn't on Boxing Day.

I'd still take a draw as usual in an away game - I mean we're due to lose one.

45 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

Thought I'd read we had the youngest team in the 4 divisions? Probably totally wrong and that I dreamt it!

Surely not? We barely have anyone under 20 in our squad. Murphy is pretty much it bar the odd bench filler.

23 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We got quite a young starting team most weeks now don't we? The only real oldies seem to be Dickie and James.

We have the potential to put out a fairly young starting XI, but in reality we're not doing that.

Fact is players who we've gotten used to thinking are young are now in their mid-20s. Vyner and O'Leary are 26 and 27, Pring is 25, even Mehmeti now 23.

I'm not complaining btw. I think it's good. Assuming we get some contracts signed we're looking next season at having most of a spine of a team in their mid-20s, in the early years of their prime. O'Leary at 28 in goal, CBs who are 27 (Vyner), 26 (Atkinson), and 28 (Dickie). Full backs both 26 (McRorie and Pring). CMs aged 28 (Williams), 23 (Knight). Striker is a bit of a hole as we've got Wells at 33 and Conway 21. The rest of the squad are all going to be this kind of age.

Now personnel will change of course, and age is not everything I know that. But I think it looks like next season's squad could have the best age profile we've had for a very long time.

Add some smart additions (a striker maybe) and you're starting to form a squad truly capable of a top 6 push imo.

Edited by ExiledAjax

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Surely not? We barely have anyone under 20 in our squad. Murphy is pretty much it bar the odd bench filler.

We have the potential to put out a fairly young starting XI, but in reality we're not doing that.

Fact is players who we've gotten used to thinking are young are now in their mid-20s. Vyner and O'Leary are 26 and 27, Pring is 25, even Mehmeti now 23.

I'm not complaining btw. I think it's good. Assuming we get some contracts signed we're looking next season at having most of a spine of a team in their mid-20s, in the early years of their prime. O'Leary at 28 in goal, CBs who are 27 (Vyner), 26 (Atkinson), and 28 (Dickie). Full backs both 26 (McRorie and Pring). CMs aged 28 (Williams), 23 (Knight). Striker is a bit of a hole as we've got Wells at 33 and Conway 21. The rest of the squad are all going to be this kind of age.

Now personnel will change of course, and age is not everything I know that. But I think it looks like next season's squad could have the best age profile we've had for a very long time.

Add some smart additions (a striker maybe) and you're starting to form a squad truly capable of a top 6 push imo.

You're right - they're a bit older than I thought, especially Max. It's a bit of a struggle to judge when anyone under mid thirties looks like a teenager to you!

• Haha 1