IGNORED

Josh Stokes - Signed and Loaned Back

Harry

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

All the ‘roof’ videos have shown recently, is that the tops of all of the newly developed stands are absolutely filthy and need a good clean.  

You're missing the message Pete, that's "Edgy urban Bristol vibe" the club is targetting the North St hipsters as new fans 😁

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

With a full pre season this lad may reach the necessary standard - if not then that’ll have been a risk that didn’t pay off. It wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened.

So at 19 turning 20 he gets to have one pre season before gets written off…. Great to know 

• Hmmm 1

One thing I can’t help but wonder is whether Stokes and Murphy factor into the club’s thinking around the Twine loan. Possibly not and this may be very premature but we could have one or both attacking midfielders pushing for a place in the squad come the summer meaning that, if we could not agree the right price for Twine we still have options in the squad that enable us to maintain the same shape (even if they would obviously need settling in time and not bring what Twine could bring anywhere near as immediately)

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

One thing I can’t help but wonder is whether Stokes and Murphy factor into the club’s thinking around the Twine loan. Possibly not and this may be very premature but we could have one or both attacking midfielders pushing for a place in the squad come the summer meaning that, if we could not agree the right price for Twine we still have options in the squad that enable us to maintain the same shape (even if they would obviously need settling in time and not bring what Twine could bring anywhere near as immediately)

Murphy isn't a 10.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Sounds like the lad could have a future in the game, hopefully he is more Alex Scott than Johnny Smith.

To be fair to Jonny Smith he's having a decent career and is a regular in league one.

• Like 4

• Admin
7 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Crap deal for City as Premier league clubs will be after him if he keeps up his performance levels for Aldershot'.

Not sure how that's bad for us? £20M+ please.

I’m sure they meant from a fan’s perspective of watching him in our shirt. Growing our nest egg doesn’t interest me in the slightest.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 13:51, Bcfc24 said:

Mightily underwhelming if he goes back to Aldershot for the season though, still hope we bring in one more attacking player but can’t see it now

We all live in hope, but in reality this is a “punt” of a signing.
Bristol City need a proven Championship goal scorer. A young lad unproven from Aldershot is not that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robbored said:

Two successfully made the required standard and then moved on - Why? The academy may had played a part.

With a full pre season this lad may reach the necessary standard - if not then that’ll have been a risk that didn’t pay off. It wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened.

So you don't think the success ratio is good enough? Can you name the others that didn't work out (as in lost money on)? By the negative spin of your post, are you saying we should stop buying in young promising players? You'd rather we spent more and only bought established players? They can not work as well as you know, and it's a lot more expensive when they don't work out.

It's a very low risk strategy. Not sure what your issue is.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Bristol City need a proven Championship goal scorer. A young lad unproven from Aldershot is not that.

Which is acknowledged in the deal surely? If we thought he was ready we would have been reluctant to let him return there on loan.

I think the thing that makes this "punt" feel different is that this is a player that has been picked out by lots of others as someone who could make the step up, not some name that seems to have been picked out of a hat or on a whim.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

So you don't think the success ratio is good enough? Can you name the others that didn't work out (as in lost money on)? By the negative spin of your post, are you saying we should stop buying in young promising players? You'd rather we spent more and only bought established players? They can not work as well as you know, and it's a lot more expensive when they don't work out.

It's a very low risk strategy. Not sure what your issue is.

You’re right it’s low risk strategy and my point is that bringing in any young player is a gamble just as appointing a manager is a gamble. 
The lad from Aldershot is another one who may or may not make it - however he’ll be joining City for preseason which gives the coaches time to assess his potential more fully.

Everyone knows that being a big fish in the small pond of the Conference  means very little when said player becomes a small fish in a far bigger pond and few cope with it - let’s hope the lad proves to be a real find.

1 hour ago, fisherrich said:

While I agree we need proven experience at this level, there’s no risk with this signing IMO given the low fee involved.

How many times did we pass up opportunities to get Watkins from Exeter or Bowen from Hereford for relative peanuts? 

We need proven performers in addition to the likes of Stokes, not instead of those types.

• Like 10

Bromley just equalised.

He's definitely got some attributes this lad. Very strong especially for 19, doesn't mind getting stuck in. Can roll his man with ease. Looking to create or shoot on goal where possible.

What I've liked more than anything is that he doesn't look fazed considering he's just signed with us. Just playing the game as he should with confidence.

• Like 2

Although I would add, given the incredibly windy and wet conditions it was a very decent game. 
Shots deserved to win it I thought. 
Stokes was decent - I’ve seen him play better a couple of times. I was very impressed by the big number 9 Lorent Tolaj. Again, seen him a couple of times now and he’s definitely not gonna be playing non league next season. 
Dejan Tetek in CM was also impressive for Shots. 
Interstingly, Krauhaus played for Bromley (rumoured to be signing for Brentford). He had a nice left foot on him and was quite silky, but the best players on the night were Tolaj & Tetek for me. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Although I would add, given the incredibly windy and wet conditions it was a very decent game. 
Stokes was decent - I’ve seen him play better a couple of times. I was very impressed by the big number 9 Lorent Tolaj. Again, seen him a couple of times now and he’s definitely not gonna be playing non league next season. 
Interstingly, Krauhaus played for Bromley (rumoured to be signing for Brentford). He had a nice left foot on him and was quite silky, but the best players on the night were Tolaj & Tetek for me. 

Are you making these names up?

• Haha 4

On 22/01/2024 at 21:47, LondonBristolian said:

Not forgetting Benarous who is back training with the first team. Here’s hoping he’s over his nightmare period. 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Krauhaus to Brentford has already been signed and sealed. 

https://www.brentfordfc.com/en/news/article/brentford-b-team-ben-krauhaus-bromley-brentford-transfer

12 hours ago, Harry said:

Was quite surprised to see both of them playing non-league as they've made a few league appearances and are both youth internationals. Obviously best to get consistent game time and impress to get a perm move back into league football.

Edited by DaveF

2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Was quite surprised to see both of them playing non-league as they've made a few league appearances and our both youth internationals. Obviously best to get consistent game time and impress to get a perm move back into league football.

Yep. I think Tetek has played for Serbia u21’s, so they’ll no doubt have some decent standard of players at that level. 
I’ll be keeping my eye on these 2 (Tolaj & Tetek). Both can definitely play higher. 

• Like 3