IGNORED

Josh Stokes - Signed and Loaned Back

Harry

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Of course there have been the odd success but by enlarge signings from the lower leagues fail to flourish.

Btw - wasn’t Scott part of the academy as was Semenyo? - correct me if I’m wrong.

Dave F.....has just told you you are wrong....and then you ask am i wrong? Doh!       

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

At least for this promo photo they've got a shirt that fits him - I suspect like his great-grandmother Doris he's a medium 

Our squad will welcome having a young, gifted side-kick (sic), whose decision to join us was probably based on seeing a bright future here.

Thankfully, the drinking culture at our club has long gone, so he won't find it hard to steer clear of the spirits.

3 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I’ll be saddened if it’s not the case that when it all goes well and he plays his first Premier League game, if he rings his parents on the Sunday and his first line isn’t “guess who was on match of the day”

But what size were his shorts?

1 hour ago, Shotsfan23 said:

@BCFCGav :laugh:, no offence taken but no, I don’t have a more glamorous second team to support. Top flight football is kinda fun and I do watch games when they’re available for free, but it’s just so unrelatable as a fan now that it doesn’t mean anything beyond being just another form of light entertainment.

It'll be interesting to see how things pan out once all the biggest clubs have buggered off to join a super league in a few years 🤔 The benefit of supporting a small and distinctly un-sexy club like Aldershot is that the fans still matter and the bond still exists (for good and bad!). Presumably that’s the case with BCFC too.

Not sure how the loan back to us of Josh will work out for the remainder of the season, we’ve been laughably bad over the last month and I imagine it’ll be hard for him to have 100% commitment for fear of injury now he knows that he’ll be somewhere else by the summer.

Good answer mate. Proper support that, love to see it. I see Shots are just outside the play-offs, here’s hoping you creep in. 

Glad to see part of the deal includes a pre season friendly. Just up the other end of Hampshire for me.So looking forward to going there. Although last time i went up for aa pre season match there. Steve Coppell was not a happy bunny that day and we all remember what happend next.

Clearly filling the gaps we have within the current youth players group, recognising there is no one in the pipeline that is deemed able to meet the level. The sort of signing we should be making as a club, some will work, many won't, but this is where we have been more successful in the last years. We will all enjoy following his journey and development. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well…….another promising Conference player, one of several from the lower leagues most, if not all of whom failed to reach the quality required for the Championship.

Let’s hope this lad can make the step up……….:fingerscrossed:

That young Channel Islander who left a few months ago turned out OK

2 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Wahey. Glad to have mentioned this kid a few weeks back on the scouting thread.

As said on there, friends who are season ticket holders at Aldershot rate this kid massively highly.

Welcome Stokesy!

Their forum has five pages on his move to us…https://www.shotsweb.site/shotsweb/viewtopic.php?t=56409&start=60

42 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

Clearly filling the gaps we have within the current youth players group, recognising there is no one in the pipeline that is deemed able to meet the level. The sort of signing we should be making as a club, some will work, many won't, but this is where we have been more successful in the last years. We will all enjoy following his journey and development. 

I thought though that our “top 6 squad” would be supplemented by the next batch of youngsters that were supposed to be “even better” ? 

42 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

I think it's not so much we don't have anyone in the pipeline per se, more that we haven't produced a playmaker of note. They are the hardest to find.

33 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

That young Channel Islander who left a few months ago turned out OK

Two successfully made the required standard and then moved on - Why? The academy may had played a part.

With a full pre season this lad may reach the necessary standard - if not then that’ll have been a risk that didn’t pay off. It wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I thought though that our “top 6 squad” would be supplemented by the next batch of youngsters that were supposed to be “even better” ? 

The next batch of highly rated young un’s are currently around the 17/18 age bracket. 

The signings of Stokes/Murphy could well be to bridge the gap. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

That's not the contradiction you think it is with this signing.

It could be we have a great batch of young players coming through, however no academy, of any club will have a full starting 11 of wonderkids coming through at the same time, so there will be positions where we don't have a great talent coming through.

On 18/01/2024 at 13:06, LondonBristolian said:

From interested to completed in 17 minutes - and people say we're not fast enough negotiators!

Mrs Downend says she wishes I could take that long to go from interested to completed!

• Haha 5

On 18/01/2024 at 14:00, Bcfc24 said:

Exactly and if they both aren’t ready are we just stockpiling 10’s for the future

Maybe he’s not just a 10, Widdrington made it quite clear that he can play any position in that attacking front 3 or midfield 3 as he’s so intelligent with his perception and awareness of the game 

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Good. This roof nonsense is a load of bollox anyway. Can’t wait for them to quit doing it. 

Besides, he did these pics on Friday before the windy weather. 

All the ‘roof’ videos have shown recently, is that the tops of all of the newly developed stands are absolutely filthy and need a good clean.  

• Like 5