IGNORED

Josh Stokes - Signed and Loaned Back

Harry

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly. 
For me it’s the way we should always be doing things. 
It’s all well and good having the academy pathway, but not every player is gonna make it. So for me we should always be looking for the best 17-20 year olds in the lower leagues - low cost, high potentials. 

Without going over old ground, we should have done this for the likes of Grimes, Watkins, Bowen, Key, Twine when they were all available for under half a mil (some even less) when local. 

Given this, picking up the likes of Stokes is very much a step in the right direction. 

I agree.  You can’t spot every player at 7, in fact they may not even be local (enough) to anyway.

And just like finding non-league / lower league nuggets, players released like Alex Scott too.

1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Jam tomorrow is the only way we can build and grow, our jam tomorrow is the likes of Aldershot, Bournemouth’s jam tomorrow is us. 

I hope Bournemouth’s jam has pips in it!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Why is it underwhelming? 
He’s a 19 year old from the national league. 
Lots of clubs want him. If we manage to get him it’ll be quite a coup to be fair. 
He’s not ready to step straight into Championship football. He needs a bit more experience first. 
If part of the deal to secure his signing is an agreement to go back on loan this season, then it’s good business. 

Hey, listen - I’ve always been the first one to be critical of our recruitment. But there is nothing to get angry about on this one. 
It’s a low fee for a sought after player. 

I can see why people feel underwhelmed. It’s always the future of the club as oppose to doing a Boro and Hull and actually going for it now. We will forever just sell and replace, sell and replace. It’s a hamster wheel, I am fine if that’s what we expect to be, a mid table champ side, but the owners, Tinnion etc all spout PL talk year in, year out. Well back it up! 

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I can see why people feel underwhelmed. It’s always the future of the club as oppose to doing a Boro and Hull and actually going for it now. We will forever just sell and replace, sell and replace. It’s a hamster wheel, I am fine if that’s what we expect to be, a mid table champ side, but the owners, Tinnion etc all spout PL talk year in, year out. Well back it up! 

It’s sensible though isn’t it. 
Not sure why we can’t be happy with highly regarded youngsters from lower leagues which many other teams at our level (and above) were interested in too. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not sure why we can’t be happy with highly regarded youngsters from lower leagues which many other teams at our level (and above) were interested in too. 

Not denying that but we are a poor attacking outfit and we desperately need some quality in final third. Twine is a good addition but we don’t have enough X Factor. Need it now. 

23 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I’m minded to view this deal in the context of two windows. I’ve been vocal on the Twine deal that I don’t think it makes sense in view of where we are likely to be this season - this one does make sense, but only if it’s not the only major incoming over this and the summer window (for avoidance of doubt I dont think we should be spending big this window).

Hes 19 with seemingly a strong upside. It seems we can either buy now and loan back or have more competition/cost if he stays put and carries on as he is.

So, it makes sense. And it’d be easy to say it only makes sense if we are signing others as well as development signings like this - but that argument is probably one that needs to be viewed across both now and June-August.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Exactly. 
For me it’s the way we should always be doing things. 
It’s all well and good having the academy pathway, but not every player is gonna make it. So for me we should always be looking for the best 17-20 year olds in the lower leagues - low cost, high potentials. 

Without going over old ground, we should have done this for the likes of Grimes, Watkins, Bowen, Key, Twine when they were all available for under half a mil (some even less) when local. 

Given this, picking up the likes of Stokes is very much a step in the right direction. 

Entirely agree and we'd likely be in a better state now if we had done this. Historically we've been a bit snobbish about non league players. Us oldies remember when the Gas had a reputation for picking up gems from non league clubs. Peterborough have also been good at that but we seemed to think it was beneath us.

Tinnion produced another hostage to fortune when he said the next crop from the Academy were even better than the last mind you so you could legitimately ask why we are signing young players if that's true.

But as you say you need a balanced approach.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

35 minutes ago, Harry said:

You’re right, in as far as it’s one for the future, he’s in our jam tomorrow file. 
The point the poster you were responding to was making is, how does this get us promoted this season? Where is the striker we all know we need? This policy almost guarantees Championship football at best, forever. We lack goals, and besides a fit Conway and a fit Wells, we don’t have anyone capable of scoring regularly enough to get us promoted.

At some stage we have to decide in January to go for it. This signing (if indeed he does) wouldn’t count as going for it. So, is there another signing besides Twine that would indicate that. Answer: No 

If there aren’t any further signings one could make a case that our present policy will see Tinnion in a nice comfy job at Bristol City right up to retirement.  Without anything to get excited about apart from the odd cup run. 

Edited by Lord Northski

This lad will be 20 by the end of the season. By no means old! But at that age nowadays you’d have expect them to be in and around the first time.

Not always the case I know. Pring didnt break through until couple of season ago. Forget he is 26. But that tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

Given the aim is premier league football in a couple of years (I know it’s wishful thinking!), I assume we look at this kid as some with the potential to play at that level?

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

This lad will be 20 by the end of the season. By no means old! But at that age nowadays you’d have expect them to be in and around the first time.

Not always the case I know. Pring didnt break through until couple of season ago. Forget he is 26. But that tends to be the exception rather than the rule.

Given the aim is premier league football in a couple of years (I know it’s wishful thinking!), I assume we look at this kid as some with the potential to play at that level?

We have to get there first so surely the aim is for him to be Championship quality.

29 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not denying that but we are a poor attacking outfit and we desperately need some quality in final third. Twine is a good addition but we don’t have enough X Factor. Need it now. 

But this is building for the future and nothing to do with what we could do with now. 

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Why is it underwhelming? 
He’s a 19 year old from the national league. 
Lots of clubs want him. If we manage to get him it’ll be quite a coup to be fair. 
He’s not ready to step straight into Championship football. He needs a bit more experience first. 
If part of the deal to secure his signing is an agreement to go back on loan this season, then it’s good business. 

Hey, listen - I’ve always been the first one to be critical of our recruitment. But there is nothing to get angry about on this one. 
It’s a low fee for a sought after player. 

Another coup,same as the Irish lad,do you really believe  they turned down prem clubs & top championship  sides to join us ,if those scouts rated him he'd  be there not here ,every player we sign they tell us it's a coup ,what they really mean it's cheap !!

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Merthyr Tydfil.

Worked in Merthyr for a month, first night me and a couple of lads went into the pup next to our digs it was like a scene off a film the whole place went silent, proper throw back , it’s like it’s stuck in the 70s

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 95red said:

Another coup,same as the Irish lad,do you really believe  they turned down prem clubs & top championship  sides to join us ,if those scouts rated him he'd  be there not here ,every player we sign they tell us it's a coup ,what they really mean it's cheap !!

Do you like anything about the club?

14 minutes ago, 95red said:

Who knows who they turned down but there’s a clear pathway so that prob means a lot