IGNORED

Watford at home match thread

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The West Ham game is irrelevant really, today was a league game and we’ve fallen two points further off if the playoffs.

The performance wasn’t great at all today.  Has anyone said it’s dire?  In fact Preston we were fine first half, was just the second half.

The only positive in the result was that we came from 1-0 down.

I don’t think it’s being miserable, just reflecting on what I watched today.

Agreed, plus first "half" of the second half we really tried to take it to them. I thought our players were a bit gun shy though and overplayed when a shot or cross were the best options. Not down to the coach id suggest more lacking confidence.

On balance a fair result, fans view top 6 youre having a laugh.

Was quite impressed with Watford. They were better than what I was expecting in fairness.

However, we never got tight enough. Lost count the number of times they received the ball and had time to run at our goal. Luckily they didn’t punish us!

Twine looked a threat. I probably would have kept Conway on though. McCrorie was right to go off.

1 minute ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think our fans are very harsh on Conway at times.

He's 21 and averaging a goal every 178 minutes this season. His rate of return was very similar last season too. I think his all-round game is pretty decent, without him really excelling in any one particular area. I hate to use the term, but to me he feels like a natural goalscorer.

Personally, I'm not sure that we could expect to sign a better 21 year old striker than Tommy Conway.

If anything, I'd be inclined to try and move on Wells and/or Cornick in order to fund another forward option.

Agree Conway is not the answer , but only 21 

1 minute ago, mozo said:

True why haven't we thought of beating all the best teams 5-0

Has anyone said it was dire? Yes! Read back! I think the word abysmal was used by one fan!

As much as Cuty would love to be in the playoffs, we're not good enough right now. 

And you referenced Preston as dire, I was just responding to that reference.  Whoever said “abysmal” is OTT.  Far from imho.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Since Manning came in how many goals have we scored as a result of the play he was bought in to achieve?

By that I mean after a spell of possession and pressure, some nice neat passing, bang goal.

All of our goals remain the type we scored under Pearson, on the break and or pinching the ball high up the field.

That is quite disappointing for me so far 

It's mostly the same players, I still think it's too early to expect a wholesale change in the way we play if say in 6 months we are still playing the same maybe you will have a valid point.

• Like 1

Also, the way our fanbase seems to flip flop on Conway is amazing.

A few weeks ago he was sh*t.
Then he scored away at West Ham and he was great.
Then we lost to PNE and he was sh*t again.
Then we beat West Ham at home and we were worried about Bournemouth taking him.
Now we've drawn with Watford and we need to replace him ASAP.

F****** hell 😂

• Like 6
  • Flames 2
2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I guess we just saw it differently then. I thought Watford were really in our faces first half, and we in theirs second half. Neither team looked bad, neither had star quality. Fair result.

Yes, I’m just explaining my view, not seeking to change anyone’s per se.  Chris Honor thought it was really entertaining today, fwiw.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

But is it worth taking 4 points off Watford if you take 1 point off Preston and Brum.  Ultimately we have 37 points from 28 games and are now 6 points off of Coventry.

By all means put some positivity into it, just that’s not how I’m feeling this evening.

What do you mean is it worth it? Of course it's worth it! 

Is it worth beating West Ham in the FA Cup if you end up getting knocked out next round by Forest?! Yes!

We are football fans and know the score. They'll be ups and downs - and results will never be linear in terms of always beating poor teams and never beating good ones. 

4pts off Watford is a good return, and 1pt off Brum not so good (tho thought they were decent here in August).

It all balances itself out, and we are pretty much where I, and I think most others, thought we'd be when the season kicked off. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1
Just now, Davefevs said:

Yes, I’m just explaining my view, not seeking to change anyone’s per se.  Chris Honor thought it was really entertaining today, fwiw.

It's interesting that there seems to a very wide variety of perspectives on today's game. I don't know if that in itself tells us anything other than we all have different tastes and expectations maybe? 

Just now, Supersonic Robin said:

F****** hell 😂

To be honest I think most recognise hes a gem but think hes a bit inexperienced to play up front on his own.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

F****** hell 😂

If Conway was playing for Preston or Millwall or similar, with the same record, half the people moaning about him would be wanting us to sign him and asking why we can't develop a striker like that.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

What do you mean is it worth it? Of course it's worth it! 

Is it worth beating West Ham in the FA Cup if you end up getting knocked out next round by Forest?! Yes!

We are football fans and know the score. They'll be ups and downs - and results will never be linear in terms of always beating poor teams and never beating good ones. 

4pts off Watford is a good return, and 1pt off Brum not so good (tho thought they were decent here in August).

It all balances itself out, and we are pretty much where I, and I think most others, thought we'd be when the season kicked off. 

Hard to say, just wonder if there is a sense that the transitional period mid-stream changing style a bit, experimentation perhaps between back 3 and 4 too, has cost us a few points.

There will be lots of twists and turns. West Brom lost today. Hull won after a poor spell.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I actually enjoyed it, but clearly a lot of views across the spectrum on this game.

Whether it be Nige or Manning, what you get from City is hard work and desire. That's a great start in any game. I don't think either Nige or Manning have got us capable of consistent performances in terms of eradicating errors and being cute enough in the final third, but we try. Maybe Twine and McCrorie can have am impact, but early days for them.

BTW I know you didn't reference Nige, I'm just pondering our season as a whole.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's interesting that there seems to a very wide variety of perspectives on today's game. I don't know if that in itself tells us anything other than we all have different tastes and expectations maybe? 

I thought we played differently today than pretty much any other Manning game.  I thought if anything, we tried to force stuff which wasn’t on. We found a bit of joy with Knight down the right channel second half.  I don’t think we ever got to grips with Kone and Dele, an in turn I think Williams and James were frightened of getting tight, in case they got rolled (which Kone set the tone for twice in the opening 5 mins).

It’s ok, it’s a point.  I just feel I’ve watched something from City that was a bit “meh” today.  Excitement for me came from set-pieces which isn’t what I expect per se.

• Like 1

Not about the game today as such, but did anyone else think Tinnion looked a bit sheepish coming out of the tunnel. All the other players and ex manager were clapping from the get go. Tinnion comes out with his hands in his pockets and looked definitely like he wasn’t sure about the reception he’d get. 
once it didn’t seem too bad he started clapping😂

I thought it was a pretty solid performance. I’m happy that players are all starting to really want to win. Think with Twine our players will need to learn what to do with his set pieces, cos he can certainly pass a ball. 

11 minutes ago, 22A said:

Their even handed with their post match comments; https://wfcforums.com/index.php?threads/bristol-city-1-1-watford-fc-20-01-2024.60744/page-4

When Bristol were on top in the second half they were pressing so high because they were confident we didn't have any pace to counter them with.

Mixed feelings. As others have stated, I would have taken a point before the game also.

I'm surprised at those comments, because Chris Honor said on RB that he thought they had players with a lot of pace.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I thought if anything, we tried to force stuff which wasn’t on.

I got frustrated with Dickie attempting to play Stevie G balls across the field. But I think credit goes to Watford for that.

They pressed us well.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought we played differently today than pretty much any other Manning game.  I thought if anything, we tried to force stuff which wasn’t on. We found a bit of joy with Knight down the right channel second half.  I don’t think we ever got to grips with Kone and Dele, an in turn I think Williams and James were frightened of getting tight, in case they got rolled (which Kone set the tone for twice in the opening 5 mins).

It’s ok, it’s a point.  I just feel I’ve watched something from City that was a bit “meh” today.  Excitement for me came from set-pieces which isn’t what I expect per se.

Actually thought that was probably Knight’s worse game. Thought maybe Williams looked a bit tired today too. 

I think set pieces will start to earn us some points, if seeing what Twine can do,is anything to go by. 

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

I guess we just saw it differently then. I thought Watford were really in our faces first half, and we in theirs second half. Neither team looked bad, neither had star quality. Fair result.

Absolutely how I saw it to.. Neither team deserved to win.

Fwiw I thought it was a cracking game, both teams going for it with the midfield producing some hectic hurly burly play. I really liked it and it was good advertisement of Championship football.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

F****** hell 😂

Typical OTIB!

1 hour ago, mozo said:

What is telling Pete is that under Nige, every single game, if we played well or badly, you'd come out with the same old stuff about how silly fans will blame Nige when it's not his fault. Since Manning took over, you've suddenly got shit in your eyes and only post negative comments.

With respect 😘:city:

Ahhh the classic Pearson vs Manning comment. Is that also taking into account how I’ve said Manning is one of the best young coaches in England, and that he will manage in the Prem one day? Sorry mate, you’ve lost me there after that 🤣🤣

56 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Disappointing performance today.  We were better second half, but created little from open play…but a threat from Twine’s set-pieces.

Kone (especially) and Dele-Bashiru gave James and Williams a tough afternoon….our spacing back to front often stretched.  Some crucial challenges by our defenders on their counter saved us a bit too.

Now now Dave… don’t be negative, cult of Nige!!!!

9 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I got frustrated with Dickie attempting to play Stevie G balls across the field. But I think credit goes to Watford for that.

They pressed us well.

Exactly that Lew.

Today, I thought patience would reward us, because Watford have players that switch off.  It was probably the least Manningball performance I’ve seen.

I didn’t think we deserved to lose / got out of jail, or anything like that…draw a fair result.  Just thought we could’ve been better.

8 minutes ago, JP Hampton said:

Actually thought that was probably Knight’s worse game. Thought maybe Williams looked a bit tired today too. 

I think set pieces will start to earn us some points, if seeing what Twine can do,is anything to go by. 

Don’t get me wrong, those balls he latched onto weren’t me saying he had a good game, just that it was one area we got a bit of joy, and like my comment above that’s not what we’ve become accustomed to seeing under Manning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1