IGNORED

That Liverpool Tribute Then…

Silvio Dante

Seems pretty harmless to me.Admit it's not like we one the cup but plenty including me moan about general lack of atmosphere at football nowadays so well done to everyone in the South Stand for trying to create something out of the usual. When you haven't got anything big to celebrate, why not have a bit of harmless fun with the little things. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Embarrassing & tin pot. As said above, sums up our non existent history and success rate.

We will be here come 2047 and celebrate with Joe Bryan and Korey Smith?

Why not?Probably won't have anything else to celebrate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

If I remember rightly Liverpool were around, maybe a place or two lower than West Ham are now and we were about where we are now.

Does this mean there’ll be a mural from Tuesday night in the concourse soon?

Exactly this! Liverpool were, by their standards, struggling at the time. If I remember correctly, it was Souness’s last game as manager - and that wasn’t solely down to our beating them.

As someone said elsewhere, Leeds in 1974 was different matter - they were pretty much invincible at the time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m guessing Bridgwater had a game? Either that or Andy knows the danger of letting people know when you’ll be somewhere else and your house will be empty….

Bridgwater’s game was called of 30 minutes before kick off today.

Not sure if he could get ‘re directed’ to Bristol in time!!. 

16 minutes ago, ColneRed said:

The 5th round victory at Elland Road in 1974 against a then mighty Leeds, who were up to that point unbeaten in league & cup, always seems to be underplayed in the annals of cup upsets. Are City planning a 50th anniversary tribute? 

Yes. At the QPR game on the 17th of February. We had a 40th Anniversary tribute in 2014 in the old Centenary Room in the Grandstand attended by Dicks, Sweeney, Hunt, Tainton and Drysdale, complete with a replica FA Cup provided by the Football Association.

• Like 1

It's a bit laughable really.

30th anniversary for an FA Cup win? Not a win as in tournament but a win as in a match, vs a Liverpool at a low ebb for them.

If it helped with the atmosphere well anything is good there but as a concept it is somewhat ridiculous.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Pelters incoming but how ******* tinpot to celebrate a one off win like that.

Wimbledon beating Liverpool I get but...

Plucky old City.

Of course, nothing to do with the legend who scored the winner who isnt flavour of the month with everyone.

Lets be honest Winning at Highbury 76 or the Kev Mabbutt show at Old Trafford has more resonance but cmon are we so shit we celebrate that game?

Not that I care about Watford but I bet their fans felt a bit superior after that.

Watford fans were probably a bit bemused. They’ve spent 8 of those 30:years playing - and occasionally beating - the likes of Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal every week! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

If I remember rightly Liverpool were around, maybe a place or two lower than West Ham are now and we were about where we are now.

Does this mean there’ll be a mural from Tuesday night in the concourse soon?

Agreed. That stupid wall is an embarrassment, by itself.

If you're going to do it, include loads of other notable events too and cover the whole darn ground in it.

But a massive display celebrating just one victory is tinpot. As was today.

Liverpool weren't even any good at that time, ffs.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

I don't get the downers on Osman's tenure as manager. Yes, the football wasn't great but it hasn't been for years now. But the difference with Osman is he had diddly squat to spend. One of our top signings during the summer when he was boss was a midfielder from Gresley Rovers!!! He kept City in the second tier and beat Liverpool over two and a half matches in the cup. Yet he is much maligned. 

If the present manager was restricted to signing midfielders from Gresley Rovers yet kept us at this level the paucity of entertainment would be forgiven. He was sacked during a two week break in the fixtures and Joe Jordan brought back and suddenly given the funds Osman was denied. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I don't get the downers on Osman's tenure as manager. Yes, the football wasn't great but it hasn't been for years now. But the difference with Osman is he had diddly squat to spend. One of our top signings during the summer when he was boss was a midfielder from Gresley Rovers!!! He kept City in the second tier and beat Liverpool over two and a half matches in the cup. Yet he is much maligned. 

If the present manager was restricted to signing midfielders from Gresley Rovers yet kept us at this level the paucity of entertainment would be forgiven. He was sacked during a two week break in the fixtures and Joe Jordan brought back and suddenly given the funds Osman was denied. 

Are you really suggesting City’s owners would really withhold funds from a manager then make them suddenly available for a new one? I can’t imagine that happening…

Oh hang on, that does sound familiar!!!

Edited by Dr Balls
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Lost to Charlton in the 5th Round to play at Old Trafford vs Man Utd.

City haven't reached an FA Cup Quarter final since the 70s.

So tinpot

I cannot for the life of me believe that when the club has the 'temerity' to celebrate its FA Cup giantkilling of Liverpool, at Anfield in 1994 its referred to as 'tinpot'. Unfortunately, our beloved club hasn't had much to shout about during the modern era, meaning these memories are special and should be given the respect they deserve. Some of you need to learn your City history, or better still, get a life.

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Hmmm 2
  • Facepalm 2

10 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I cannot for the life of me believe that when the club has the 'temerity' to celebrate its FA Cup giantkilling of Liverpool, at Anfield in 1994 its referred to as 'tinpot'. Unfortunately, our beloved club hasn't had much to shout about during the modern era, meaning these memories are special and should be given the respect they deserve. Some of you need to learn your City history, or better still, get a life.

Agreed. I wasn't thinking tinpot at the time. We were in dreamland at the thought of playing at Anfield, let alone winning. What else did we have to shout about back then, not much. As for Liverpool not being great, remember how bad we were. It was a great result.

3 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Its a shame with all these presentations that whoever is being presented to the crowd forgets Block A - C of the Dolman (or whatever numbers they are now) and the Atyeo end of the Lansdown - are these fans not worth parading in front of as much as those in the South Stand and today the South Stand end of the Lansdown.

Come on Bristol City - give enough time to parade the "guests" in front of all City fans - not just a few!

Agree with this. 

It feels a bit like when media etc used to go on about ‘66. After a certain amount of time it just feels cringey. 
I felt the music was overblown and the tone of the presentation of the players too dramatic. By all means get former players back on the pitch but don’t do it with such drama. Everything is far too over hyped these days! 

6 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

you could accept people have a different view to you, or better still, get a life.

2 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Have some respect for yourself. Jesus. 

Explain?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Agreed. I wasn't thinking tinpot at the time. We were in dreamland at the thought of playing at Anfield, let alone winning. What else did we have to shout about back then, not much. As for Liverpool not being great, remember how bad we were. It was a great result.

It was, I was there and it was an unthinkable result at the time.

BUT if someone had told me that would more or less be 'it' for the next 30 years I guess if I had listened to them I could have saved myself a whole lot of time, money and heartache.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1