IGNORED

That Liverpool Tribute Then…

Silvio Dante

4 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

We should celebrate things worth celebrating.

A defeat of the mighty Liverpool - why not.

Not sure they were "mighty" at the time though? About where West Ham are now in terms of league position.

David Moyes actually said on Tuesday he didn't really consider our win a proper "upset" given there's only one division between the two teams. 

Though I'm sure he was arse-covering to an extent, he has a point; it's not like it was a League Two side knocking out a Prem one. 

• Like 2

Wouldn’t expect anything less from the same club that on Tuesday night showed the goals from the game at the London Stadium and Downsy the clown said ‘to once again celebrate our 1-1 draw’. Celebrate!

No wonder we never achieve anything ever. A club absolutely over the moon with complete mediocrity.

• Like 15
  • Haha 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The one good thing about this is that we are finally maintaining the contact with ex players and staff which can only be a positive for the club. The more football ‘friends’  City has the better. 

Neil Palmer and the Former Players Association do a lot of work behind the scenes with former players

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Osman was my least favourite manager in my 50 years+ of following City, he was an awful manager 

Worse than Pulis? 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, ColneRed said:

The 5th round victory at Elland Road in 1974 against a then mighty Leeds, who were up to that point unbeaten in league & cup, always seems to be underplayed in the annals of cup upsets. Are City planning a 50th anniversary tribute? 

I was there. That victory has to be the best away win in my 66 years following City. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I don't get the downers on Osman's tenure as manager. Yes, the football wasn't great but it hasn't been for years now. But the difference with Osman is he had diddly squat to spend. One of our top signings during the summer when he was boss was a midfielder from Gresley Rovers!!! He kept City in the second tier and beat Liverpool over two and a half matches in the cup. Yet he is much maligned. 

If the present manager was restricted to signing midfielders from Gresley Rovers yet kept us at this level the paucity of entertainment would be forgiven. He was sacked during a two week break in the fixtures and Joe Jordan brought back and suddenly given the funds Osman was denied. 

Spot on but the answer is one word Dziekanowski.

I actually saw a poll on X (Twitter) yesterday saying who would you like to help City to the playoffs this season Cole or Dziekanowski & the Polish waster had more votes..

This absolute myth that someone who had about 6 good games for us, was a passenger when we didn’t have the ball & left us for an obscure German second division club was a “great” is frankly hilarious.

Osman’s football was poor but as you point out, he had zero funds, getting rid of the bloke who stood around for 80 minutes of each game with his hands on his hips has cemented his reputation.

As to the person who thinks it was better under Pulis, who was given far more money one division down to produce what he did, eff me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I was at Liverpool for that win and absolutely loved it.  That said,  I thought the ‘celebration’ yesterday was the most tinpot I can remember us ever looking.

Introducing a few of the old players at the side of the pitch would have been ok, but walking round the pitch seemed ott, but waving the purple and lime flags in Section 82 was totally cringeworthy to me.

That looked just the kind of embarassing thing the sags would do and I’d hoped and thought we were a lot better than that!

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I cannot for the life of me believe that when the club has the 'temerity' to celebrate its FA Cup giantkilling of Liverpool, at Anfield in 1994 its referred to as 'tinpot'. Unfortunately, our beloved club hasn't had much to shout about during the modern era, meaning these memories are special and should be given the respect they deserve. Some of you need to learn your City history, or better still, get a life.

It shows how very little this Club have achieved in the last 30 years and yes it does make us sound a bit tinpot celebrating a 3rd Round FA Cup win from 30 years ago.

Not doubting for one minute that at the time it was great. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I cannot for the life of me believe that when the club has the 'temerity' to celebrate its FA Cup giantkilling of Liverpool, at Anfield in 1994 its referred to as 'tinpot'. Unfortunately, our beloved club hasn't had much to shout about during the modern era, meaning these memories are special and should be given the respect they deserve. Some of you need to learn your City history, or better still, get a life.

The fact that the vast majority of us DO know our City history means that we regarded that shitshow yesterday as tinpot.

Just because we are serial underachievers doesnt mean the club has to frantically search for anything to cling to.

Celebrating and "respecting" non events ? Perhaps you are the one who should get a life.

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

12 hours ago, Denbury Red said:

Its a shame with all these presentations that whoever is being presented to the crowd forgets Block A - C of the Dolman (or whatever numbers they are now) and the Atyeo end of the Lansdown - are these fans not worth parading in front of as much as those in the South Stand and today the South Stand end of the Lansdown.

Come on Bristol City - give enough time to parade the "guests" in front of all City fans - not just a few!

It boils my piss that the Club seem to think s82 is the entirety of our fanbase. 

Very rarely see anything other than s82 posted by the club. 

At the end of the game Manning and the players don't come over and clap the part of the ground I'm in. They make a beeline for s82 and then back to the dressing room pretty much. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

I was there. That victory has to be the best away win in my 66 years following City. 

I was there too - had just moved to Yorkshire and was able to miss work and see the match. Happy memories of a great day.

47 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Spot on but the answer is one word Dziekanowski.

I actually saw a poll on X (Twitter) yesterday saying who would you like to help City to the playoffs this season Cole or Dziekanowski & the Polish waster had more votes..

This absolute myth that someone who had about 6 good games for us, was a passenger when we didn’t have the ball & left us for an obscure German second division club was a “great” is frankly hilarious.

Osman’s football was poor but as you point out, he had zero funds, getting rid of the bloke who stood around for 80 minutes of each game with his hands on his hips has cemented his reputation.

As to the person who thinks it was better under Pulis, who was given far more money one division down to produce what he did, eff me.

That was brilliantly put. I didn't mention Jacki because I feared being targeted as a Neanderthal for as you say he has been elevated to legend status amongst City fans. As soon as Osman dropped him he became the target of the boo boys and it seemed to become fashionable to blame City's struggles in the second tier and lack of entertainment value upon this decision. It wasn't, for as you say we lost plenty and stunk the place out with the mercurial Pole in our side. 

Yes, he was a fantastic player on his day and I am glad I seen him in a City shirt, but Osman chopped him at the right time and we were a stronger TEAM as a result. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

It is really odd how this game is continually celebrated. Yeah, great win.. but it was ages ago.

We are told that we are a club with aspirations of competing with the likes of Liverpool, which makes it all the more smalltime. 

The mural is a good piece of artwork, but is a permanent reminder of our underachievement. All very odd.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

Wouldn’t expect anything less from the same club that on Tuesday night showed the goals from the game at the London Stadium and Downsy the clown said ‘to once again celebrate our 1-1 draw’. Celebrate!

No wonder we never achieve anything ever. A club absolutely over the moon with complete mediocrity.

Reminds me of Downsy’s debut where he proudly read out the mightily impressive 22,500 attendance at Ashton Gate to the bemusement of the fans from *checks notes* Newcastle United. 

Been a ridiculous hire from day one.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Reminds me of Downsy’s debut where he proudly read out the mightily impressive 22,500 attendance at Ashton Gate to the bemusement of the fans from *checks notes* Newcastle United. 

Been a ridiculous hire from day one.

On the subject of Downsy was it just me who heard him call Jamie Knight-Lebel, Jason Knight-Lebel yesterday ?

can’t even get our own players names right

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

It boils my piss that the Club seem to think s82 is the entirety of our fanbase. 

Very rarely see anything other than s82 posted by the club. 

At the end of the game Manning and the players don't come over and clap the part of the ground I'm in. They make a beeline for s82 and then back to the dressing room pretty much. 

Not sure about that re: club. They show a decent cross section on social media - but a group doing flag displays and singing in a packed area of the ground is obviously more impressive visually for pictures than supporters quietly sat down in the often less busy Lansdown stand.

Regarding the team and management, you could argue it shows which section they believe helps spur them on most during matches.

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I don’t know if the likes of Wimbledon actually do something like that to celebrate actually winning the FA Cup, which was a massive achievement for them.  

Can’t you actuaaly appreciate the tin-pottedness of us with that celebration, 30 years after beating a team just a division above us in the 3rd round of the Cup though??

• Like 2

A couple of my West Brom supporting mates sat with me in the Lansdown when we played them last. One of them pointed out the mural of the Man U win and said how tinpot that made us look.

All I could think was 'bloody hell mate, thank god we weren't in the South Stand as you would have roasted the sh*t out of the Liverpool mural!'

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I don’t know if the likes of Wimbledon actually do something like that to celebrate actually winning the FA Cup, which was a massive achievement for them.  

Can’t you actuaaly appreciate the tin-pottedness of us with that celebration, 30 years after beating a team just a division above us in the 3rd round of the Cup though??

One division above, does that even constitute " giant killing"?

They were hardly Shankly or Klopp's Liverpool either were they.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Russ had gorgeous hair, and still cuts a distinguished dash. Mrs Osman was a lovely thing too (when I last saw her), her hair was pretty impressive too

He's actually a really nice bloke. Played golf with him a few times. 

His missus was/ is an Interior designer from memory. 

Don't think he deserves the flack he gets from some, as explained further up the thread, his hands were tied in many ways.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Just now, Natchfever said:

One division above, does that even constitute " giant killing"?

They were hardly Shankly or Klopp's Liverpool either were they.

Absolutely right mate.  

Not wanting to detract from the occasion and result and it was a great performance by us, but as you say, that wasn’t one of the great Liverpool sides of old.  

The fact Souness was sacked after that result says they were very far from their best, so I do cringe at the constant reference to that game.  

On the other hand, beating Leeds away in their absolute prime was a way bigger achievement for me.

• Like 3

It was a great night tbf what I can remember of it !

Mini bus full and the whole day was a fairytale. 
I’ve forgiven Osman for his dreadful football but he kept us up and at the time was quite an achievement. 
As for Jacki his little cameo for us will be fondly remembered and touched so many . We had a bit of star quality. 
I’ve always liked to watch a luxury player but they don’t last for long do they ?

Amazing how he touched so many but didn’t rack up 50 games for us . 

Thanks to all involved in celebrating our Liverpool heroes prior to the game yesterday - and special thanks to the fans for being in their seats earlier than usual and of course to Section 82 for that fantastic display (hi-res picture below). 

Here's some additional video highlights from the day:

image.thumb.jpeg.d24455574046cfa4e726d6cf9bdb8952.jpeg

Thanks again,

BCFC Former Players Association

6 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It is really odd how this game is continually celebrated. Yeah, great win.. but it was ages ago.

We are told that we are a club with aspirations of competing with the likes of Liverpool, which makes it all the more smalltime. 

The mural is a good piece of artwork, but is a permanent reminder of our underachievement. All very odd.

Why don’t we celebrate all our wins over top clubs? 
We beat Arsenal in our first game back in the First division at their place- worth a celebration ? 
We beat Liverpool in the league - worth a celebration? 
Man Utd at Old Trafford - let’s have a Saint Kevin Mabbutt day. 
Yep , sad and tinpot. 
Let’s welcome back our old heroes for a bit of a wave and to rekindle memories but let’s wait until we have something really special to celebrate before blow the dust of our, rather short , roll of honour. 

• Like 1

Other than them going into towards section 82 and having tinnions son with them (no idea how that was relevant) it was no different to others events they’ve done since starting the former players such as the stars of the 60’s one 

I see it more as reconnecting with the past which is long overdue rather than celebrating a good result 30 years ago 

• Like 1