IGNORED

That Liverpool Tribute Then…

Silvio Dante

18 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Russel Osman saved us from relegation when he took us over as player/manager following Denis Smith's sacking. The following season he signed Brian Tinnion who must have been one of the best value signings ever. We had that cup run and finished comfortably mid-table although at times the football wasn't that exciting, but the defence was pretty solid. At the end of the season we had new owners, some of our better players were sold and Osman wasn't given any funds to replace them and had to do with free transfers. Unsurprisingly the team then struggled and he was sacked, but people forget much of this and just remember some of the football as being a bit boring, I think he made the most of what he had available and deserved more credit, certainly many worse managers than him in the time I've been watching the team.

People forget Russell Osmans football frequently because so many ceased to attend. 

City's gates dropped to 7000 with Russell Osman in in charge. The away support collapsed to fourth division levels. At Portsmouth for a Saturday 3PM kick off the away support was in the low hundreds, half of who walked out in protest at half time with the score 0-0.

The reason? The stupefyingly boring football. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

People forget Russell Osmans football frequently because so many ceased to attend. 

City's gates dropped to 7000 with Russell Osman in in charge. The away support collapsed to fourth division levels. At Portsmouth for a Saturday 3PM kick off the away support was in the low hundreds, half of who walked out in protest at half time with the score 0-0.

The reason? The stupefyingly boring football. 

We had some shocking crowds during that period.  I remember Scott Davidson coming in as Chairman and setting up a supporters database.  Crowds started to rise again towards the end of the 90’s.

19 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

If I remember rightly Liverpool were around, maybe a place or two lower than West Ham are now and we were about where we are now.

Does this mean there’ll be a mural from Tuesday night in the concourse soon?

This is the comparison I made in the match day thread.

This was a rather cringeworthy and embarrassing thing to “celebrate” IMO - especially just a couple of days after effectively repeating the same feat.

• Like 4

So we’ve planned and celebrated the 30 year anniversary of a third round win over the worst Liverpool team in generations…. But…. Still no “fitting tribute” to Terry Cooper, as promised at the time of his passing. Tinpot, clueless and classless are the hierarchy running “our” club. 

• Like 14
  • Flames 4
  • Robin 1

Is it possible that some of the players who represented us in that game didn't want to attend the reunion as Osman had, by a lot of accounts at the time, a somewhat dictatorial attitude to his management style subsequently; and players who worked with him in any capacity might not relish a chance for a pint.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Is it possible that some of the players who represented us in that game didn't want to attend the reunion as Osman had, by a lot of accounts at the time, a somewhat dictatorial attitude to his management style subsequently; and players who worked with him in any capacity might not relish a chance for a pint.

I'd honestly say that has to be 2+2=5

It was a long time ago and retuning isn't really anything to do with Osman 

We know why Lewellyn was missing, who else wasn't there? 

Agree with many of the sentiments already in this thread, it's tinpot beyond belief. Really is embarrassing aswell when we are rubbing shoulders with many clubs at this level who have spent decades and decades in the topflight, many with major honours won in their historys and we celebrate this. As others have said Watford fans must have been wondering WTF was going on.

No suprises though, especially with the senior position Tinnion has within the club, another opportunity to blow his own trumpet it feels.

A tinpot organisation run by amateurs aren't we. The big shiny stadium with 22,000 plus in every other week and the nice new training ground really does paper over the cracks at the club..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

This is the comparison I made in the match day thread.

This was a rather cringeworthy and embarrassing thing to “celebrate” IMO - especially just a couple of days after effectively repeating the same feat.

In 30 years that's all we have to celebrate it doesn't say alot does it.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I'd honestly say that has to be 2+2=5

It was a long time ago and retuning isn't really anything to do with Osman 

We know why Lewellyn was missing, who else wasn't there? 

Outside of Osman (manager) we had Tinnion, Allison, Pennyfather, Shail and Welch there so five outfield.

I think missing were Llewellyn, Scott (was stated to be there IIRC), Rob Edwards (ditto), Stuart Munro, Dave Martin (probably in a fight somewhere), Liam Robinson (probably told where it was but missed the venue and ended up in Wickes) and Junior Bent (probably got there and the Ashton Road gates kept open and kept running)

So, outside of the senior man at the club and his son (for some reason), 4 of the remaining 11 turned up. Not exactly resounding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

With the greatest respect does anyone else think.we are taking all of this way too seriously?We are a very mediocre club.No one else gives a rats arse about us and so what?.My self deprecating sense of humour actually finds the whole thing pretty hilarious.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slacker said:

With the greatest respect does anyone else think.we are taking all of this way too seriously?We are a very mediocre club.No one else gives a rats arse about us and so what?.My self deprecating sense of humour actually finds the whole thing pretty hilarious.

You find it funny which is fair enough, but the club think it means something to the fanbase which again demonstrates how out of touch they are.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Natchfever said:

You find it funny which is fair enough, but the club think it means something to the fanbase which again demonstrates how out of touch they are.

You are right up to a point. I agree it was pretty ridiculous and does just highlight years of underachievement.For some it was just an excuse to have a bit of fun.A largish part of the crowd chose to take the opportunity and put on a display with a bit of noise and colour which for some would have added to the atmosphere and enjoyment of their matchday.We all love the club even though we don't have too much in the way of achievements.The lack of trophies doesn’t lessen my love for the club and I don’t feel we need to validate ourselves to supporters of bigger, more successful clubs,of which there are many.I can see why people think it was over the top,I actually agree,but I still feel it was harmless enough. 

• Like 1

Some people need to get a grip. Yeah, it's a bit cringe but so what? You ask any fan that's 40-50 years old and that game will be remembered as their favourite. I think it's great that the FPA are trying to bring back former players to the club and show them the respect they deserve. Some of these players are still working hard to support their families in different jobs as the money just wasn't around back then like it is now.

Also, why the sudden hatred for Tinnion? He has given a massive chunk of his life to City. He loves the club and prior to his current role spent more hours than anyone can imagine watching all the academy games and his dedication was second to none. Yeah, he may well have been promoted a bit above his station but that doesn't mean he deserves the vitriol some people are dishing out. Now people are targeting the fact his son was on the pitch. His son has special needs and they are literally inseparable, he would have absolutely loved that so who cares if he didn't play in the match?!

Edited by COYR's
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, COYR's said:

Some people need to get a grip. Yeah, it's a bit cringe but so what? You ask any fan that's 40-50 years old and that game will be remembered as their favourite. I think it's great that the FPA are trying to bring back former players to the club and show them the respect they deserve. Some of these players are still working hard to support their families in different jobs as the money just wasn't around back then like it is now.

Also, why the sudden hatred for Tinnion? He has given a massive chunk of his life to City. He loves the club and prior to his current role spent more hours than anyone can imagine watching all the academy games and his dedication was second to none. Yeah, he may well have been promoted a bit above his station but that doesn't mean he deserves the vitriol some people are dishing out. Now people are targeting the fact his son was on the pitch. His son has special needs needs and they are literally inseparable, he would have absolutely loved that so who cares if he didn't play in the match?!

How many other clubs put on an event like we did Saturday for a cup round win 30 years ago against one of the worst Liverpool sides in its history? If it was a cup final, then I can understand it.

It’s not like we beat Bayern Munich with 2 goals in injury time to lift the Champions League.

There isn’t a hatred for Tinnion. But a big displeasure over his position he currently holds with the club without the relevant experience or knowledge to be in such a vital role. 

He’s also responsible for the removal of one of the top managers we’ve had who has helped steady this ship from relegation without any real funding.

He has somewhat tarnished his legacy at the club due to events in the last couple of seasons. There is nothing wrong with pointing that out.

• Like 3
  • Flames 3

14 minutes ago, COYR's said:

Also, why the sudden hatred for Tinnion? He has given a massive chunk of his life to City. He loves the club and prior to his current role spent more hours than anyone can imagine watching all the academy games and his dedication was second to none. Yeah, he may well have been promoted a bit above his station but that doesn't mean he deserves the vitriol some people are dishing out. Now people are targeting the fact his son was on the pitch. His son has special needs needs and they are literally inseparable, he would have absolutely loved that so who cares if he didn't play in the match?!

Firstly, I dont think you can speak for anyone but yoursel about their favourite game in the past 30 years.

Id imagine beating Man U in such a manner to reach a major cup semi final would beat it hands down.

Secondly, you talk about Tinnion as if hes worked as a volunteer for Red Cross. "Given a massive chunk of his llife" With respect thats laughable. Hes been well paid throughout his spells here, and if hed been a better player or coach we wouldnt have seen him for dust.

He is part of the problem  being a key member of the clueless hierarchy  hence the vitriol.

Lastly, point taken about his son.

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

Osman may not have always got it right as a player or a manager, but I never saw him give less than 100% for us and that’s good enough for me.  I was lucky to have a long 1:1 conversation with him as manager (a few days before the start of the season when he gave Hewlett and Wyatt their debuts) and there was no doubting his commitment.  Ok, it didn’t work out but he managed that cup run, he deserved to be on the field on Saturday, and he deserved the fans’ applause.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Osman may not have always got it right as a player or a manager, but I never saw him give less than 100% for us and that’s good enough for me.  I was lucky to have a long 1:1 conversation with him as manager (a few days before the start of the season when he gave Hewlett and Wyatt their debuts) and there was no doubting his commitment.  Ok, it didn’t work out but he managed that cup run, he deserved to be on the field on Saturday, and he deserved the fans’ applause.

Let's face it - how many other managers have we had who played with Pele - and Michael Caine!

• Thanks 1

In all honesty I think its good we have a former players association, its about time. I do wonder though whether in 30 years time we'll be flying in Ivan Testimitanu, Famara Dhiedhiou or Hörður Magnússon from Moldova, Iceland or Timbuctu for an impromptu cheer around the pitch. How on earth will they find or even locate them?

16 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Outside of Osman (manager) we had Tinnion, Allison, Pennyfather, Shail and Welch there so five outfield.

I think missing were Llewellyn, Scott (was stated to be there IIRC), Rob Edwards (ditto), Stuart Munro, Dave Martin (probably in a fight somewhere), Liam Robinson (probably told where it was but missed the venue and ended up in Wickes) and Junior Bent (probably got there and the Ashton Road gates kept open and kept running)

So, outside of the senior man at the club and his son (for some reason), 4 of the remaining 11 turned up. Not exactly resounding.

Stuart Munro (a very decent defender Osman picked up on a free) lives in Australia now so was never coming back for something as tinpot as this.

Pretty sure Rob Edwards still lives in Bristol (used to & might still have a job with one of Wales youth teams) so very odd that he didn’t make it.

Junior was back (alongside the great Wayne Allison) not that long ago so as well as Martin Scott, those 3 are the more baffling ones.

It looked pretty embarrassing when it was announced but by Saturday it resembled the Celebrity XI from the Porridge film, “I’ve just heard the Goodie can’t make it, but the ITV weatherman is still coming”..

59 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Let's face it - how many other managers have we had who played with Pele - and Michael Caine!

I’m sure I bring this up every time Escape To Victory is mentioned, but as I understand it John Warks accent was so bad they dubbed him in the final cut, and Stallone was such an arsehole that he genuinely fancied himself as a keeper so bet Pele - Pele! - that he couldn’t score six spot kicks past him. He got near to one and dislocated his finger.

And the overhead kick - one take.

• Flames 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Junior was back (alongside the great Wayne Allison) not that long ago so as well as Martin Scott, those 3 are the more baffling ones.

It looked pretty embarrassing when it was announced but by Saturday it resembled the Celebrity XI from the Porridge film, “I’ve just heard the Goodie can’t make it, but the ITV weatherman is still coming”..

Strong “Son of the guy who played Huggy Bear” vibes 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m sure I bring this up every time Escape To Victory is mentioned, but as I understand it John Warks accent was so bad they dubbed him in the final cut, and Stallone was such an arsehole that he genuinely fancied himself as a keeper so bet Pele - Pele! - that he couldn’t score six spot kicks past him. He got near to one and dislocated his finger.

And the overhead kick - one take.

Nice film facts.  I always thought of Osman as "Doug Clure" after seeing Escape To Victory. The name sort of fits.

I also liked the fact that Pele had to be a Trinidadian as Brazil wasn't in the war in 1942 (Ardilles' nationality was left a mystery).

Oh and the fact that the posh chairman of the parish council in Vicar of Dibley was the German head coach. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Silvia Dante your lovely parents organised a Junior Reds Xmas Party back when Osman was manager. Jacki and other players were there, Osman was late. When he arrived he told players to move away from Jacki and one other and not talk to him. 
Needless to say Jacki left, which meant that the children were deprived of the chance to get his autograph. I still cringe at the way he spoke to the players.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Only just read this Silvio but thanks so much for making me laugh.

The comments about Martin, Robinson and Bent are comedy gold 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1