IGNORED

Happy Birthday Louis Carey!

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bloody excellent player.

Could pretty much do it all as a defender, good reader of the game, decent in the air, brave, good on the ball.

South Bristol bloke too, what’s not to like?

He was a good player for sure.

Not his fault that his record appearances were manufactured.

Certainly didnt blame him for joining the exodus post Wilson either.

That being said, the club agenda, no doubt directed from on high, sullied big John's legacy which doesnt sit well with me.

HBD Louis, hope youre having a good one.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Edited by Natchfever
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

Does anyone know or have the time and information to advise if Big John ever missed a City game due to playing for England. 

I think not because in season against foreign countries was mid week. He did not play in a "Home International"

And the couple of world cup qualifiers versus Republic of Ireland who had City centre forward Dermott Curtis in both games, didn't, if my memory is correct, make him miss a City match.

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I think not because in season against foreign countries was mid week. He did not play in a "Home International"

And the couple of world cup qualifiers versus Republic of Ireland who had City centre forward Dermott Curtis in both games, didn't, if my memory is correct, make him miss a City match.

Thanks CA exactly as I remember but wanted to check as I'm as miffed about Carey's creatively manipulated total as you.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

John Atyeo is the record holder for appearances. Two minutes sub appearance in the final minutes does not account for the 90 minutes of every match which PJW Atyeo completed with very few exceptions when he had to leave the pitch due to injury. I saw hundreds of his games and the only one that stands out was first game of 1960-61 season at Valley Parade when injury prevented him finishing. No subs then.

Louis Carey is the record holder for appearances.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

Contrived to become so officially at a time the club were desperate to create some positive publicity, but he will never be seen as the record holder to many of us who remain extremely annoyed by the whole shameful business.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TammyAB said:

True, he is. Technically.

But he won't be getting a statue, a stand or some other memorial - which record holders usually do, even at the most tinpot clubs.

Which tells you all you need to know.

Good player was Carey. But he should never be mentioned in the same breath as Atyeo, I'm afraid.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

True, he is. Technically.

But he won't be getting a statue, a stand or some other memorial - which record holders usually do, even at the most tinpot clubs.

Which tells you all you need to know.

Good player was Carey.

But should never be mentioned in the same breath as Atyeo, I'm afraid.

It is weird how it all ended for Carey, given as @GrahamC points out on paper you'd think he should be considered one of the absolute greats of our club... yet just isn't really truly loved by the fanbase.

It makes you wonder if he'd be more highly thought of if he'd played two fewer games (and none of that is his fault, obviously!).

8 minutes ago, David Woody said:

Why is everyone on here always so angry with life and looking to moan. Can’t you just wish the guy a happy birthday and leave it at that?

Happy Birthday Lewis!

Anger? Where?

"Lewis"! 

6 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

It is weird how it all ended for Carey, given as @GrahamC points out on paper you'd think he should be considered one of the absolute greats of our club... yet just isn't really truly loved by the fanbase.

It makes you wonder if he'd be more highly thought of if he'd played two fewer games (and none of that is his fault, obviously!).

More to it than meets they eye perhaps. Did the club mark our record holder's birthday? 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Anger? Where?

"Lewis"! 

More to it than meets they eye perhaps. Did the club mark our record holder's birthday? 

Yes they did. 

Whether fans like him or not ( allegedly he was a right shit stirrer in the changing rooms and part of a clique that if they didn't like you...) I think it's great that the Club and the Former footballers association are now recognising our former players, including them and having them engage with fans. That's a massive positive for me. For both. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

Don’t get it.

Completely understand those who believe it was all a bit ridiculous that his last 2 one year contracts saw him make several late sub appearances in order to eventually get past Atyeo & that he probably should have been released a few years earlier.

However he was an outstanding defender for us, key figure in the side that got far closer to the top flight than anyone else in 40 years plus & a local lad too.

Would be in contention for my all time City 11 in my 50 years of supporting & that’s not something I say about too many after the AD era.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, TammyAB said:

Two minutes per game x multiple games to get there.

Shallow achievement but not his fault, and apart from those staged appearances his record was phenonemal, particularly as he played about 30 games at Coventry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Woody said:

Why is everyone on here always so angry with life and looking to moan. Can’t you just wish the guy a happy birthday and leave it at that?

Happy Birthday Lewis!

I wished him happy birthday, but suggest you read the OP which has prompted the posts which appear to have offended you.

12 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Don’t get it.

Completely those who believe it was all a bit ridiculous that his last 2 one year contracts saw him make several late sub appearances in order to eventually get past Atyeo & that he probably should have been released a few years earlier.

However he was an outstanding defender for us, key figure in the side that got far closer to the top flight than anyone else in 40 years plus & a local lad too.

Would be in contention for my all time City 11 in my 50 years of supporting & that’s not something I say about too many after the AD era.

Agree with pretty much all that Graham, although he wouldnt get in my all time team ahead of Merrick, Collier, Hunter.

Im nit picking though ! Boody good player, and was humble enough to play Toolstation after such a great career.

• Robin 1

Louis Carey is, literally by all measurable statistics our record appearance holder. He has appeared the most times on a football pitch as a Bristol city player. Why anyone fights this or try’s to denigrate the achievement of one of our own is just baffling.

to adapt a well known saying 

“give a city fan a bag containing a million quid.. they’d complain about the colour of the bag”

happy birthday louis 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Happy birthday Louis.

Was a great player for us and an integral part of the side that nearly made it to the promised land.

Great achievement to become the record appearance holder - different era to atyeo so no need to compare - one of our own and a great player and servant to the club.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Contrived to become so officially at a time the club were desperate to create some positive publicity, but he will never be seen as the record holder to many of us who remain extremely annoyed by the whole shameful business.

To "us" that grew up watching Carey hes our record appearance holder👍

Edited by johnheadbcfc
  • Like 1