IGNORED

Haydon Roberts is a happy man tonight

34 minutes ago, Rob k said:

He was very good tonight but i tend to agree with you, a bit of work on his final ball will make him a PL player. He also should have scored tonight 

I don’t think we appreciate just how good he is as a fan base.

He’s a bit of a throwback in the way he plays because his best attributes are his engine and his application. Whereas in the past we’ve been blessed at left back with some really strong technical players who maybe only played for us because their limitations were the physical attributes (think Mickey Bell). 

if your left back’s weakness is playing the final ball, I start to question is the issue the ability of the left back, or whether your left back should even be playing a high proportion of final balls in the first place? 

Edited by 38MC

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I will be happy to watch a replay as have only seen it once but from where i sat in the Lansdown it looked to me that he should have done better with the opportunity. 

Ok. You didn't have the best angle then. His first touch, which took him past the defenders, also took him beyond the far post, meaning he had to try and cut a shot back across goal while going at full pelt. Not easy and a miracle he was even there in the first place.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

1 minute ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes loved Pring tonite, all defence in fact. I thinks premier interest for Pring would feel they could improve his final ball issue. Think he could be gone this summer

For the first time in a few years, the key thing is that we don’t need to sell anyone.

For once, if we can reject offers and add 2 or 3 quality, Championship-ready/experienced players, I think we will be even more competitive, giving us the best chance in years of getting into the top 6

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

For the first time in a few years, the key thing is that we don’t need to sell anyone.

For once, if we can reject offers and add 2 or 3 quality, Championship-ready/experienced players, I think we will be even more competitive, giving us the best chance in years of getting into the top 6

Yes good point.

How long is Pring's contract ?

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not being harsh. Frustrated with our final ball. If we had Twine tonight we may have won, I find our subs predictable, Wells on with Conway would have been a good bet, drop Conway back into a number 10. 

Lansdown should have backed Liam Manning in this window. Playing some really good football but need someone to score the goals. Manning has done his bit but as usual Lansdown has failed to do his.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Not being harsh. Frustrated with our final ball. If we had Twine tonight we may have won, I find our subs predictable, Wells on with Conway would have been a good bet, drop Conway back into a number 10. 

I completely agree. 

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Lansdown should have backed Liam Manning in this window. Playing some really good football but need someone to score the goals. Manning has done his bit but as usual Lansdown has failed to do his.

I’d be a lot more cautious. I’m seeing some positive shoots but we are a long way away - notwithstanding a great team performance tonight. Let’s not do an MA and a backing of LJ just too early though. I’m glad Manning is having to prove himself over more than a dozen games before he gets a war chest. This is the highest level he’s ever managed and for me he’s still not showing he’s able to be flexible or showing very good in-game management skills. 

I am not being critical, I’m just asking him to show a bit more nouse before he gets trusted with too much. This season hinges on the forest replay as we aren’t going up and aren’t going down. The only money he gets -imo - should be if there’s a player that has is available at a reasonable fee,or if we want to tread water and give him a marquee loan player to see what he can do.

Given that marquee is likely to be a striker - because we need goals - and would likely block Tommy, a depreciating asset who ain’t renewing, 

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because Cam Pring won't be a City player for much longer after that performance tonight. 

Have I gone mad but some way over the top reactions tonight,forest were in the same league only a few years ago and could well be next year unless we get promoted and yet we get best performance ever and this thread popping up 

Edited by joe jordans teeth

I would hope Haydon Roberts loves Pring being here. Teammates competing and challenging for spots, pushing each other on, is what elite sportsmen strive for.

Pring is probably my favourite player but if Haydon Roberts comes in, happy days. It means he’s playing better than Pring and Pring has to come back even stronger.

• Like 1

If we sell pring in this window I think we might aswell just give up about progressing, there really has to be a time where however good our players coming through are there needs to be a period of right we’re not far away here nobody’s going nowhere for a period . It’s very frustrating as like I have said before with this side add a Scott & semenyo we’re a really decent side . 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

When!

Second half he made a lung bursting run full length of the pitch counter attack, leaving all our attackers in his wake, the touch he then had in the box took him just fractionally too wide for a clear shot at goal with w defenders closing him down. Would have taken Messi to control and finish that - he's a Left back!

I really like watching pring but agree with a lot of points about his delivery and  shooting but as said if he had those strengths nailed he 100% wouldn't be here.

The chance you highlight shows why I love watching him with his 100% attitude and making that run all the way up the pitch but also highlights the difference top level players have. I think most top players step over that ball with the awareness to know wells has a free shot.

Not a critism of spring but just the fine margins that define the top level players. That being said maybe he will learn those instincts 

It wasn't that long along that Pring was underwhelming whilst on loan at lower league clubs.  Just goes to show how players develop at different stages, but also kudos to Nige for realising that "death by a thousand loans" wasn't the right approach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

It wasn't that long along that Pring was underwhelming whilst on loan at lower league clubs.  Just goes to show how players develop at different stages, but also kudos to Nige for realising that "death by a thousand loans" wasn't the right approach.

Was he ever underwhelming on loan Tone?  I thought most clubs viewed his loans as positive?  Might be wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, italian dave said:

Do we know that he hasn’t?

Well I guess I am referring to what I see as an urgent need,a striker who can put away the chances we are creating or at least some of them. I thought that was high on the priority list this window and we haven't got anyone yet.

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

When!

Second half he made a lung bursting run full length of the pitch counter attack, leaving all our attackers in his wake, the touch he then had in the box took him just fractionally too wide for a clear shot at goal with w defenders closing him down. Would have taken Messi to control and finish that - he's a Left back!

Cam has a really good engine.

When he goes through the gears, the opposition gets shafted.

Cam on You Reds !

29 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

Well I guess I am referring to what I see as an urgent need,a striker who can put away the chances we are creating or at least some of them. I thought that was high on the priority list this window and we haven't got anyone yet.

I agree, but I just think that the fact we haven’t got anyone yet doesn’t necessarily mean we haven’t tried, or that Lansdown isn’t prepared to back it.

Everyone would love a striker who’d put away chances; it’s easier said than done to get one! And the January window isn’t the most fruitful either, as a rule. 

• Like 1