IGNORED

Friday night football

weepywall

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on playing on a Friday night..I think as an alternative to 3pm Saturdays it's the best of the other options..I really enjoyed Friday..finished work a bit earlier and met up with some mates that can't make Saturdays and you get to spend Saturday with family etc..looking forward to next Friday.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Personally, I hate it. 
It can take me an hour and a half to get home for a normal game, either 2 Buses or walk to the centre and Bus it. 
Saturdays I don't mind too much. Might meet mates in town for a beer or grab some food with the Mrs, but on a Friday/Tuesday I would be getting home 11:30 or later . That means I tend to drive on night games , might change that for Leeds though.

• Like 2

Probably about 15 or 20 years ago we used to have quite a lot of Friday night games. They used to bill them as 'red and white nights' 

I think the Christmas Bristol derby was on a Friday night and I'm sure that infamous game against Millwall was too? 

I really enjoy the odd Friday night fixtures. I prefer night games at Ashton Gate. Most of my most memorable games have been night games. There is just something about Ashton Gate under the lights. 

I like the fact that it frees up the rest of the weekend too. So I can go and watch the seagulls or whatever.  It's been nice that we've had a bit of a run of Friday night games. I'd like to see more of them in the future. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

53 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on playing on a Friday night..I think as an alternative to 3pm Saturdays it's the best of the other options..I really enjoyed Friday..finished work a bit earlier and met up with some mates that can't make Saturdays and you get to spend Saturday with family etc..looking forward to next Friday.

Difficult for me to get down for Friday night games, and get home again. 

Booked on the 1am Megabus back because its too expensive to stay over, plus I want to get home. Can't risk walking to BTM for the last train, especially as it's an 8pm KO.

It's more of a problem because there has been two extra games, plus the Leeds game has been moved. Might not make it for Soton.

Even so, I don't dislike a night game at all, much better than a 12pm KO!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The Coach said:

I’d prefer football on a Friday night. Gives you entire weekend to do what you please then.

However, I know they’re a lot of people who live for football on a Saturday. 

Agree 100% having the rest of the weekend free is priceless. work done, get the football fix, then everything else. Love it - would happily switch 3pm Saturdays to every Friday night 

• Like 2

That season we had ie 2000-01.

Bristol derby  live on Sky just before Christmas.

The Millwall one.

Bournemouth at home, 3-3 early in Wilson's reign..2 points very much dropped.

(Plus an away game at Reading).

Friday night games can definitely be fun, I also quite liked some of the 5.30pm Saturday slot ones.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I like it now and again but I don’t want to go too long without a traditional Saturday 3pm kick off.

Think if it was too regular on a Friday night the atmosphere would dip and there would be those who couldn't make a Friday night as easy as on a Saturday. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Think if it was too regular on a Friday night the atmosphere would dip and there would be those who couldn't make a Friday night as easy as on a Saturday. 

But it kind of swings in roundabouts doesn't it? 

We always seem to pull in a bigger crowd for Friday games. So whilst there is some that can't make it. There are also lots that can make a Friday but not a Saturday. Saturdays are a bit awkward for football as people are playing football themselves. Or their kids are playing or have swimming or birthday parties or whatever. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Personally, I hate it. 
It can take me an hour and a half to get home for a normal game, either 2 Buses or walk to the centre and Bus it. 
Saturdays I don't mind too much. Might meet mates in town for a beer or grab some food with the Mrs, but on a Friday/Tuesday I would be getting home 11:30 or later . That means I tend to drive on night games , might change that for Leeds though.

Similarly for me though hate would probably be a bit strong personally. Sunday I feel is the worst option so the it’s the lesser of 2 evils. I assume like me you do not reside in Bristol as Friday would then be great but a bit of trek for evening games.

1 hour ago, shelts said:

I don’t mind a Friday . Frees up Saturday to do a game on Saturday, handy pennies for the holiday fund !

Isn't that weird. I rushed like hell for Friday, really enjoyed it but hated Saturday. 3 hours of shopping with Mrs Junkie, cost me a fortune! 😓

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Going back quite some time 3 decades or so City would have several Friday evening games each season because it enabled those that played in local football leagues to attend AG.

Not in the 90's they didn't, nor the eighties and nor the late 70's that I can remember. Think you might be looking at 7 or 8 decades ago for that?

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Not in the 90's they didn't, nor the eighties and nor the late 70's that I can remember. Think you might be looking at 7 or 8 decades ago for that?

It was probably was the late 70s into the 80s - I used play football most Saturday afternoons and the Friday night fixture were a real treat!