IGNORED

Leeds Sellout?

elhombrecito

7 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Great news, the support has been amazing this season and seems to continue to grow. Also the support away from home has been really good. COYR

Very true. Bears also doing very well for crowds. 

Amazing to think that we could do with adding more capacity to the Gate as things are going.

What next - top tier on the South Stand, replace the Dolman or Atyeo stands?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Slightly related… just reading about the lad who scored for Leeds yesterday had a message for his mum, who had passed away earlier in the week, under his shirt and was booked for showing it when celebrating.

Is there no room for compassion in the game???

Absolutely ridiculous. That’s the problem with referees now - they are not trusted to use a bit of common sense. 

“rules are rules” - its absolute nonsense. Yes - rules are there for a reason, but there has to be the opportunity for referees to take a common sense approach 

Had he not booked him - no one would even have mentioned it 

Like the Liverpool / Spurs goal. Play should have been pulled back - but because it was “too late”. They didn’t 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Amazing to think that we could do with adding more capacity to the Gate as things are going.

No room behind the SS unless you start bulldozing and tidying up the ayteo in unlikely to get your much more capacity unless you start bulldozing.

i don’t think there is too much in the footprint between the lansdown and the dolman to be honest - so a mirror image stand would look pretty good!

my ultimate dream would be to bulldoze behind the ayteo and build round the same size from the lansdown making a “park end” pedestrianise the road and just have a stand that feeds out onto the park, could have all your corporate stuff up the top - large amounts of glass looking back across the park and to the bridge 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Fjmcity said:

No room behind the SS unless you start bulldozing and tidying up the ayteo in unlikely to get your much more capacity unless you start bulldozing.

i don’t think there is too much in the footprint between the lansdown and the dolman to be honest - so a mirror image stand would look pretty good!

my ultimate dream would be to bulldoze behind the ayteo and build round the same size from the lansdown making a “park end” pedestrianise the road and just have a stand that feeds out onto the park, could have all your corporate stuff up the top - large amounts of glass looking back across the park and to the bridge 

I'd always like the idea of encorperating the houses into the stand, with the front doors becoming turnstiles.

• Haha 3
  • Flames 1

51 minutes ago, Calculus said:

The commentators said during the amazing Bears v Bath match on Saturday how much they enjoy coming to AG because of the crowds and atmosphere.

Bears must attract the best attendance in the PL.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fjmcity said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day, and then I got to thinking what if the upper Lansdown stand continued around until a third or halfway along the South Stand? It would increase the capacity to close to 30,000, but would just look s**t. However if you mirrored something similar at the Atyeo end, it may not look so bad, but TBH it would only be a temporary or half arsed solution IMO anyway - just a stop gap to get more seats.

Ultimately, we all know the solution is that the houses in Ashton Road and Raines road would need buying up, and only someone with a "can do" attitude and finances to match would pursue that route - I don't think we have that kind of board at the moment, unless everything is very secret and clock & daggers!

Similarly, the first block of flats closest to the Dolman would need to be purchased also. Which reminds me, how safe are those flats these days? Especially given the situation with what's happened to Barton House in Lawrence Hill recently?

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Absolutely ridiculous. That’s the problem with referees now - they are not trusted to use a bit of common sense. 

“rules are rules” - its absolute nonsense. Yes - rules are there for a reason, but there has to be the opportunity for referees to take a common sense approach 

Like the Liverpool / Spurs goal. Play should have been pulled back - but because it was “too late”. They didn’t 

Absolutely.  Rules and laws are there to be interpreted.  A player will get booked for lifting shirt because of spectator incitement.  But when you take the facts into account, that this was a personal message from the lad in regards to his passed mother, the referee is in the position to interpret if the rule is in place for this situation.  He could have come to the conclusion that that is not what the rules intend it to be for, and thus, not book the player. 

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Slightly related… just reading about the lad who scored for Leeds yesterday had a message for his mum, who had passed away earlier in the week, under his shirt and was booked for showing it when celebrating.

Is there no room for compassion in the game???

The problem is they are told to book players for it, there is no caveat saying , unless you think it's unfair. 
If the Ref doesn't book him he's likely to get in trouble. It is easier for the Refs to be told "book everyone" rather than "at your discretion" . As soon as I saw it I said booking, I get why he wanted to do it but thems the rules and there are ways around it . Have a shirt on the bench, hook the front over your head or just lift the front. He knew he would get booked , sadly there it is.

16 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

So frustrating we cannot get near the 27K. Ashton Gate is too small, it needs additional seating badly, how much can we extend by with the corners as Lansdown suggested? May need to consider a second tier on South Stand. 

I think we would need to buy about 6 houses on Raynes road to build on the SS.
Any chance of that Concrete problem in the nearest block of flats( Southbow ?) ? That would allow the Dolman to be developed .  
Not sure filling in the corners would be cost affective . 
I think we are stuck without a hell of a lot of money being spent and a lot of luck with locals. 
That or the Council do compulsory purchase orders on everything within 500 yards of the Gate.

50 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day, and then I got to thinking what if the upper Lansdown stand continued around until a third or halfway along the South Stand? It would increase the capacity to close to 30,000, but would just look s**t. However if you mirrored something similar at the Atyeo end, it may not look so bad, but TBH it would only be a temporary or half arsed solution IMO anyway - just a stop gap to get more seats.

Ultimately, we all know the solution is that the houses in Ashton Road and Raines road would need buying up, and only someone with a "can do" attitude and finances to match would pursue that route - I don't think we have that kind of board at the moment, unless everything is very secret and clock & daggers!

Similarly, the first block of flats closest to the Dolman would need to be purchased also. Which reminds me, how safe are those flats these days? Especially given the situation with what's happened to Barton House in Lawrence Hill recently?

Would be only fair to pay more to demolish the Colin Daniel’s stand though..

22 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

The problem is they are told to book players for it, there is no caveat saying , unless you think it's unfair. 
If the Ref doesn't book him he's likely to get in trouble. It is easier for the Refs to be told "book everyone" rather than "at your discretion" . As soon as I saw it I said booking, I get why he wanted to do it but thems the rules and there are ways around it . Have a shirt on the bench, hook the front over your head or just lift the front. He knew he would get booked , sadly there it is.

Given the young kid has literally LOST HIS MOTHER this week I highly doubt he has been spending a great deal of time thinking about ways he could avoid a booking. Just call it out for what it is.......an appalling example of rules being applied just for the sake of rules being applied. Anyone with a modicum of common sense would apply common sense and be more than happy to explain why if they got hauled over the coals for it.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Given the young kid has literally LOST HIS MOTHER this week I highly doubt he has been spending a great deal of time thinking about ways he could avoid a booking. Just call it out for what it is.......an appalling example of rules being applied just for the sake of rules being applied. Anyone with a modicum of common sense would apply common sense and be more than happy to explain why if they got hauled over the coals for it.

Dominic Solanke was booked on Thursday for the same message 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Heart breaking and I feel for the lad, but the Ref may not even have seen or taken notice on the message. 
He had plenty of time to make the shirt, Solanke did a tribute Thursday , and I guarantee he would have known he would get booked. He would have spoken to team mates and discussed it.
Like I said , the Refs have to book anyone who removes their shirt , they don't get the option. It's why players runs to the technical area to hold up a spare shirt , this feels worse because it's a death as close to him as it could be, but Ref's don't have discretion .

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Heart breaking and I feel for the lad, but the Ref may not even have seen or taken notice on the message. 
He had plenty of time to make the shirt, Solanke did a tribute Thursday , and I guarantee he would have known he would get booked. He would have spoken to team mates and discussed it.
Like I said , the Refs have to book anyone who removes their shirt , they don't get the option. It's why players runs to the technical area to hold up a spare shirt , this feels worse because it's a death as close to him as it could be, but Ref's don't have discretion .

I agree completely. The bloke broke the rules, but the ref is at fault, because the poor old ref didn’t take the time to read the message and ignore the rules he is paid to enforce and is criticized for not doing properly after every game 

I suspect if the fella had gone to those lengths he knew there was a booking coming if he took his shirt off, but really didn’t care. Good for him!

The FA may show some leniency if he Or Leeds appealed but I would not bank on it. If I remember correctly England and Scotland were fined for wearing a Poppy not that long ago. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, REDOXO said:

I suspect if the fella had gone to those lengths he knew there was a booking coming if he took his shirt off, but really didn’t care. Good for him!

That's how I see it, and fair play to him . 

• Like 1

Wasn't there a stipulation that if 3 of 5

attendances at AG were over 25k the club were obliged to do something with parking?

Forest 

Watford

Bears v Bath

City Women v West Ham

Leeds 

Is this going to make that applicable?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

I agree completely. The bloke broke the rules, but the ref is at fault, because the poor old ref didn’t take the time to read the message and ignore the rules he is paid to enforce and is criticized for not doing properly after every game 

The FA may show some leniency if he Or Leeds appealed but I would not bank on it. If I remember correctly England and Scotland were fined for wearing a Poppy not that long ago. 

Unfortunately, I believe that there is no right to appeal a Booking for any reason.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Calculus said:

That trick may well have been missed with the refurb imo....

We are all aware that the Atyeo has it's limitations due to housing at the rear - although I'm unsure if going bigger with either(or both South & Dolman) stands would have been absolutely impossible??

My creaking memory banks say I read on here at some point that to do so may have required re- alignment of the pitch???.....

Edited by Son of Fred

6 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Don’t blame the referee, blame the law makers. If the Referee doesn’t follow the laws of the game, he will get marked down by the assessor. You could clearly see he didn’t want to book him, but had too. 
The player took his shirt off, he would have 100% known he would get booked. 

3 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

Referees are not allowed to use common sense, they HAVE to adhere to the laws of the game, that’s it.

If a player does the same next week and doesn’t get booked, I’ve no doubt you will be complaining about inconsistency. 

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Wasn't there a stipulation that if 3 of 5

attendances at AG were over 25k the club were obliged to do something with parking?

Forest 

Watford

Bears v Bath

City Women v West Ham

Leeds 

Is this going to make that applicable?

Bears matches don't count towards this, see quote below. Also city have used the excuse of actual attendance in the past, as in bums on seats. Which is fine for the cup matches but we fall short because of all the no shows for league matches.

That condition would be triggered if three out of five consecutive Bristol City home games saw an attendance of more than 25,000. There was no provision for Bristol Bears matches written into the planning consent, because at the time the rugby hadn’t switched to Ashton Gate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Referees are not allowed to use common sense, they HAVE to adhere to the laws of the game, that’s it.

If a player does the same next week and doesn’t get booked, I’ve no doubt you will be complaining about inconsistency. 

I think it was Billy Sharp who was at Sheff Utd at the time who played the day after his son had died - Billy scored a goal and lifted his shirt to reveal a message dedicating the goal to his lad.

If memory serves, both the opposition manager and the ref were aware of his loss and his intention that if he did score, he'd be making a tribute statement. Neither the ref nor the manager wanted to see the player punished if that happened. He never got booked.

Common sense. 

20 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

If they HAVE to adhere to the laws of the game, why are goalkeepers not routinely penalised for committing the offence of "controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"?

• Like 1