IGNORED

Leeds Sellout?

elhombrecito

41 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I think it was Billy Sharp who was at Sheff Utd at the time who played the day after his son had died - Billy scored a goal and lifted his shirt to reveal a message dedicating the goal to his lad.

If memory serves, both the opposition manager and the ref were aware of his loss and his intention that if he did score, he'd be making a tribute statement. Neither the ref nor the manager wanted to see the player punished if that happened. He never got booked.

Common sense. 

If he never took his shirt off it shouldn't be a booking.

The Law states.

A player removing his shirt to reveal slogans or advertising will be sanctioned by the competition organiser. The team of a player whose basic compulsory equipment has political, religious or personal slogans or statements will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.

52 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

If they HAVE to adhere to the laws of the game, why are goalkeepers not routinely penalised for committing the offence of "controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"?

The 6 second rule is a bit wooly in that it is more of a guide than a strict 6 seconds. In essence, it is up to the Referee to take a view on whether or not the Keeper is routinely taking the p!ss (technical term).

I'm only speaking as a Manager at a decent level for many years and that is what I've been told by Refs when I've asked the question. They have added that they would normally warn a Keeper that if they do it again then they will apply the necessary punishment. Hope that helps answer the above but probably not. 😃

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, supercidered said:

The 6 second rule is a bit wooly in that it is more of a guide than a strict 6 seconds. In essence, it is up to the Referee to take a view on whether or not the Keeper is routinely taking the p!ss (technical term).

I'm only speaking as a Manager at a decent level for many years and that is what I've been told by Refs when I've asked the question. They have added that they would normally warn a Keeper that if they do it again then they will apply the necessary punishment. Hope that helps answer the above but probably not. 😃

Always good to get answers from actual lived experiences!

That said, I don't see anything wooly in the Laws of the Game wording yet it feels like there's more chance of seeing Pele riding a unicorn during an EFL match than a goalkeeper being penalised for it.

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Always good to get answers from actual lived experiences!

That said, I don't see anything wooly in the Laws of the Game wording yet it feels like there's more chance of seeing Pele riding a unicorn during an EFL match than a goalkeeper being penalised for it.

I absolutely agree with you.

I've not seen it enforced at any level so I can only assume that the Refs are briefed by the FA and or Ref's Association. Pre-season every year we get a briefing from the FA about changes to existing laws and also what Refs are being assessed on during matches. I can't remember the 6 second rule ever being mentioned.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I absolutely agree with you.

I've not seen it enforced at any level so I can only assume that the Refs are briefed by the FA and or Ref's Association. Pre-season every year we get a briefing from the FA about changes to existing laws and also what Refs are being assessed on during matches. I can't remember the 6 second rule ever being mentioned.

Many years ago they announced a clamp down on it, and were very strict at the start of the season. As with most of these instructions, it was quietly forgotten about half way through the season.

(I remember this because, along with foul throws not being punished, it's a pet peeve of mine)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

If they HAVE to adhere to the laws of the game, why are goalkeepers not routinely penalised for committing the offence of "controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it"?

Referees ‘manage’ those situations, you will find a referee will shout to the keeper “play it” when he deems the keeper should. Everyone involved in the game seems to have accepted this as the norm now. 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

If he never took his shirt off it shouldn't be a booking.

The Law states.

A player removing his shirt to reveal slogans or advertising will be sanctioned by the competition organiser. The team of a player whose basic compulsory equipment has political, religious or personal slogans or statements will be sanctioned by the competition organiser or by FIFA.

He took his shirt off. 

18 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Referees ‘manage’ those situations, you will find a referee will shout to the keeper “play it” when he deems the keeper should. Everyone involved in the game seems to have accepted this as the norm now. 

But how does something become "accepted" as "the norm" when it isn't absolute adherence to the laws to which they have to adhere?

Not that my opinion counts for much (I doubt the EFL, PGMOL, IFAB et al could care for it at all) but it all sounds a bit perverse to me. If the authorities don't believe in the wording of the Laws, why don't they rewrite them rather than change them via some backroom nudge and a wink agreement?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

The commentators said during the amazing Bears v Bath match on Saturday how much they enjoy coming to AG because of the crowds and atmosphere.

Bears must attract the best attendance in the PL.

This comment prompted me to read the BBC match report for that game. One thing stood out for me:

Bristol boss Pat Lam told BBC Radio Bristol:

"[Owner] Steve Lansdown had a quiet word to me about playing the Bears way, he wanted to be excited about the way we play and I said I'd see what we can do. I think he will have been excited by that performance.

Not sure if this was picked up elsewhere on OTIB? I wonder whether Lansdown has ever had a 'quiet word' with Bristol City managers about wanting them to play a certain way...?

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

The commentators said during the amazing Bears v Bath match on Saturday how much they enjoy coming to AG because of the crowds and atmosphere.

Bears must attract the best attendance in the PL.

2nd highest behind Leicester 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

This comment prompted me to read the BBC match report for that game. One thing stood out for me:

"[Owner] Steve Lansdown had a quiet word to me about playing the Bears way, he wanted to be excited about the way we play and I said I'd see what we can do. I think he will have been excited by that performance.

Not sure if this was picked up elsewhere on OTIB? I wonder whether Lansdown has ever had a 'quiet word' with Bristol City managers about wanting them to play a certain way...?

Of course he has. He thinks he knows an awful lot more about football than rugby.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I heard that from Lam and I Immediately thought that SL was ‘encouraging’ him to get away from the dreary kicking for position team that the Bears had become and were consequently losing too many matches.

When Lam was appoint he’d been playing attacking rugby at Connacht and that’s why SL wanted him. My buddy who’s a Bears SC holder reckoned that Lam had lost his way particularly this season.

SL gave him a wake up call - fair play to him.

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Referees are not allowed to use common sense, they HAVE to adhere to the laws of the game, that’s it.

If a player does the same next week and doesn’t get booked, I’ve no doubt you will be complaining about inconsistency. 

I've no doubt you are completely wrong...........because I'm not the type that completely fails to see the human side of things. But hey, as long as those ******* rules are applied bang on, word for word, we can all have a good tug.

52 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

But how does something become "accepted" as "the norm" when it isn't absolute adherence to the laws to which they have to adhere?

Not that my opinion counts for much (I doubt the EFL, PGMOL, IFAB et al could care for it at all) but it all sounds a bit perverse to me. If the authorities don't believe in the wording of the Laws, why don't they rewrite them rather than change them via some backroom nudge and a wink agreement?

Exactly. Either laws is laws or common sense can be applied. Not laws is laws for pulling your shirt over your head but laws ain't laws if Max O'Leary hangs onto the ball for 12 seconds when we are 1-0 up.

Edited by Numero Uno

21 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

I saw that interview.

He knows even less about rugby than he does about football. If he knew anything about the game he should tell Lam to stop acquiring mobile lightweight forwards, and bring in more Saffers because we are going backwards despite the win saturday.

48 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I heard that from Lam and I Immediately thought that SL was ‘encouraging’ him to get away from the dreary kicking for position team that the Bears had become and were consequently losing too many matches.

When Lam was appoint he’d been playing attacking rugby at Connacht and that’s why SL wanted him. My buddy who’s a Bears SC holder reckoned that Lam had lost his way particularly this season.

SL gave him a wake up call - fair play to him.

He lost his way after that Quins game as did half the squad.  We've been  better this season. Have a 50/50 record in the league.  We need our best players back for the end of the season.  Genge, Thacker, Sinkler, Vui, Malins.  Only Genge involved in 6 Nations but he's had 8 weeks off.  If we start with a win v Northampton we have a chance for top 4. Lose and it's gone

Sorry coming in a little late to this..  but surely expansion would only be necessary if we were selling out every week.. I’d imagine we would in the premier league quite comfortably.

but

we are in the championship and still around mid table. Normally half the Lansdown 🤔

Five out of the Six stands with availability are in the Family Stands where an Adult can’t buy a ticket without a child and vice versa. With all these being singular seats not sure how these will get sold without a child being separated from an Adult so it’s as close to a sell out as possible. 

15 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

I've no doubt you are completely wrong...........because I'm not the type that completely fails to see the human side of things. But hey, as long as those ******* rules are applied bang on, word for word, we can all have a good tug.

Go and have a lie down, you sound really angry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think we would need to buy about 6 houses on Raynes road to build on the SS.
Any chance of that Concrete problem in the nearest block of flats( Southbow ?) ? That would allow the Dolman to be developed .  
Not sure filling in the corners would be cost affective . 
I think we are stuck without a hell of a lot of money being spent and a lot of luck with locals. 
That or the Council do compulsory purchase orders on everything within 500 yards of the Gate.

If and when the indoor arena is built, we could have an overflow watching the game on a big screen?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Claverham_Red said:

Now officially sold out. Wonder if spares will pop up around the ground every so often before Friday like the Cup games recently.

Hospitality sold out as well, so no spare seats there.

But there's usually a few others that randomly crop up.